almost to goal

Options
Hey y'all I have lost 95 pounds in a year and love to work out...in am literally 10 pounds away from my goal and in am terrified, to gain weight once I'm there... Any hints or suggestions on maintaining a healthy weight once you get to goal?

Replies

• nlbez
    nlbez Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well done. The only advice I have is keep logging. As soon as I stop logging for a holiday or special occasion I go crazy eating. I need to log to keep me accountable. I put on 11 lbs over the Christmas period as I thought oh I won't log il have a break. I eat so much less when I have to see those red numbers on my diary. X
  • narmas1417
    narmas1417 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @nlbez thank you so much! Logging is so important, I am the same way I have to be responsible for everything that I put in my mouth! I appreciate your feed back!!!
  • lovellm122
    lovellm122 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    looking good. Once you get to your goal adapt your plan for maintenance of what you have achieved :)
  • alexgmurphy
    alexgmurphy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you shouldn't worry so much! You've made a great achievement, but don't think you're "done" when you reach your goal weight. Being healthy is a lifestyle, not a journey with a beginning and end. Just keep doing what you're doing! Don't eat differently, just eat MORE!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's not hard to do maintenance after all the hard work you did to get this far. Just keep doing what you've been doing while eating more calories. You new goal is to stay at that new weight forever (within a 5 pound range or so). And you get to do the happy dance EVERY SINGLE MORNING FOREVER when you step on the scale and you're still there.
  • Jenny9000
    Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached goal, but I think you will have to continue to log. It will just have to be a way of life , but thats okay :)
  • insipid42
    insipid42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 2.5 pounds away. Will have lost 40 when I'm done.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about maintaining. Once you become the type of person that it takes to loose 100lbs, you know what it takes and how to do it. When I first started loosing weight any lapse would derail the effort. As time went by and pounds came off it became second nature. Once I hit 100lbs down I concentrated on building muscle. Now the scale going up is a good thing. You have the knowledge and ability to make whatever changes you want in your body. Good luck and remember the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the "almost 100 lbs down club"!

Just keep doing what you've been doing ... keep logging so that you are still getting the right quantity and quality of food, and keep exercising. Keeping true to your food quantity, food quality and activity levels are all you need.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm going to let you know something... you're going to gain some weight once you hit your goal. you might find yourself up a few pounds, maybe even as much as ten!

it's no big deal. you'll be able to drop it back down. it happens to most of us.
  • narmas1417
    Options
    Thank you all so much each one of you inspire me and remind me to keep going and not sweat the small stuff!!! Much love!
  • AnnaFit4Life
    AnnaFit4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on you success. My approach to maintenance was as others mentioned. There's a beginning to this journey...but no end. Healthy lifestyle for life. I broke it down into phases.

Phase 1: Weight loss phase
    Phase 2: Once I reached goal...Figuring out maintenance phase...here I found it crucial to stay on plan and not stray til I figured out exactly how many calories per day I could add to maintain. I added gradually each week or two til finally it stopped. Once I reached a point where I could eat a set amount and device a eating plan for a typical day...then I was ready for phase 3. (Phase 2 could take a few months...but to me...it was sooooo worth the effort...I worked to hard to let all my success go up in smoke)
    Phase 3: Maintenance...Here I have a maintenance calorie range I follow for pretty much everyday and am mindful of the meals I prepare each day. Then occasionally I "mindfully indulge". Usually just one meal or an evening out...never completely off the rails, never overdoing it. (A few drinks on a night out or ordering a healthy dinner at a restaurant then sharing a dessert with a friend...things like that) The key here is occasional .... and keeping mindful. Then right back on my maintenance meal plan the very next meal.

Everyone has to find what works for them. This is what works for me and is sustainable and realistic for me to do for life. It works.
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is so great-
    I'm almost there, too. Lost 70 with 11 to go. Unfortunately my weight loss has completely stalled, though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to be "terrified" about - it's still the same numbers game whether you are losing, maintaining or gaining.
    It's just a pleasure to eat more of the foods you like and feel healthy and full of energy.

Set a reasonable weight range and stay vigilant without getting obsessive. Set new goals, buy new clothes and enjoy your success.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to change nothing other than the number of calories you're consuming. Work out, log your food, and start eating at your maintenance calorie level. It might take some tweaking, but you'll find the sweet spot.
  • narmas1417
    Options
    You guys are awesome Thank you!!!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Work your way slowly to your maintenance target, rather than jumping all at once. With small increases over a few weeks, you can tune it until you find your set point. Best of luck!
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am just 1.6# away fromy goal. After reading countless threads I am thinking about adding extra calories to the weekend. ( increase slowly). I am able to "control" week days easier. Just wanted to share that thought.