I need help with something

Options
I don't know which exercises I need to do to tone the flab on my arms and legs I don't want to bulk up alot but would like to gain some muscle n tone it. I hate that my thighs rub n ruins pants n my arms make me self conscious along with my belly. Plz help

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as toning. If you want your arms to be firmer, you are going to need muscle to fill out the are underneath the skin. Best way to do that is to lift heavy weights.

It's almost biologically impossible for you to get too bulky, as you're a female. You simply don't have enough testosterone in your body to get super large muscles unless you are doing tremendously hard workouts, eating a ton of food to support those workouts and doing supplements on top of that.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good starting program, as is New Rules of lifting for women> Good luck.
  • snbrown1214
    snbrown1214 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I already do the 5x5 but I don't know which machines are best to reduce the leg rubbing and arm flab
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I already do the 5x5 but I don't know which machines are best to reduce the leg rubbing and arm flab

You can't spot reduce. No machine will help you with the dreaded "chub rub". The only thing you can do is continue to eat at a deficit and be patient.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

No machines. A caloric deficit is the only way to reduce. Continuing to do 5x5 will take care of muscle retention. And don't add stuff to 5x5. It will take you a long way before you will need to add accessory work.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Get Body Glide if you're chafing with the chub rub.

Be patient, eat at a deficit, because unfortunately, you can't spot reduce. You have to lose fat all over with the deficit.
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    I have been eating a deficit I allow no more then 1200 but usually eat no more then 900 but very high protein low carb low fat and when I'm at the gym I do between 30 to 40 cardiovascular like the elliptical and 30 strength training which was recommended by a trainer but I can't afford a personal trainer....so I figure I'd turn here for help I also do atleast one hr of yoga and I'm going to start kick boxing too and when I do cardiovascular and strength I do it 4 to 5 days a week
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    900 calories a day are waaaaaaaaaaaay too low for that amount of activity (or for anyone with any amount of activity, really)!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a deficit I allow no more then 1200 but usually eat no more then 900 but very high protein low carb low fat and when I'm at the gym I do between 30 to 40 cardiovascular like the elliptical and 30 strength training which was recommended by a trainer but I can't afford a personal trainer....so I figure I'd turn here for help I also do atleast one hr of yoga and I'm going to start kick boxing too and when I do cardiovascular and strength I do it 4 to 5 days a week

You are doing all that on 900 calories?? I would pass out on that, even 1200 calories is to low.

• snbrown1214
    Options
    I'm on a appatite suppressor I'm not hungry I have to force myself to eat.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

What do you mean you're on a appetite suppressor? prescribed by a doctor?

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Exercise wise you're fine. The only thing that will fix your trouble areas is time and patience.

But yeah, 900 calories is not enough. Why are you taking an appetite suppressant?
  • Serah87
    Options

Stop using it and eat. Do you weigh your solid foods and measuring your liquids??
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    Yes it's prescribed by my dr I go monthly for weight ins. She did a ekg to make sure that my heart could handle the medication. She put me on it because I used to eat alot. And I asked to join a weight loss clinic
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Stop using it and eat. Do you weigh your solid foods and measuring your liquids??

I do measure but I can't stop taking it bc then she will remove me from the clinic
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you have to lose the fat while building muscle. the fat will just sit on top of the muscle no matter what exercises you do. or if you just lose weight without building muscle your skin or muscle just hang still soft
  • Serah87
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes it's prescribed by my dr I go monthly for weight ins. She did a ekg to make sure that my heart could handle the medication. She put me on it because I used to eat alot. And I asked to join a weight loss clinic

So what happens when you no longer take the pills?? How does does it teach you moderation, etc.??
  • snbrown1214
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Once I get my ins straightened out I'll be going to a nutritionist. Can we not make me feel bad that I don't take in enough bc I'm not hungry please. I was asking for help in something else. I'm being followed by my dr. She is satisfied with what I'm doing.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    You lost 40lbs on an appetite suppressor. What do you think will happen when you stop?
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    No I was also moving more and eating healthy I wasn't eating crap like I was before
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no way to spot reduce and there's no quick and cheap fix for extra skin. Get some Body Glide if the rubbing is irritating your skin. The only two things that can tighten loose skin without putting on muscle are skin removal surgery and time. In order to make the skin not look so bad, you need to put on muscle, which is not something you can do with only eating 900 calories. Muscle building takes a surplus of calories. That's why body builders bulk to put on muscle and cut to show it off. My suggestion is to lift weights so that you don't lose any more muscle, drink lots of water to help your skin, and wait it out. Without surgery or a miracle, there is no quick fix to any of this.