BBQ Outings - Alternative To Beer?

Options
Hi,

This past memorial day, I went to a BBQ which I enjoyed myself and consumed many empty beer calories. I can control my food intake around BBQs but I do like to drink when I'm at a BBQ.

I think I easily went over 2,000+ calories with just beer.

What alcoholic drinks to you drink at a BBQ to an alternative to beer?

Even though, vodka/soda isn't a true BBQ drink; I was thinking of switching over to drinking this because I would need to consume a lot less vodka/sodas to get a buzz compared to beer.

Thank you!

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Less beer.

Beer has about 2.5 kcal/(ounce-%abv), so 2000 kcal would be more than a 12-pack of a standard industrial lager.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Vodka and sugar free lemonade is good. Fresca also makes a nice mixer. Beers are definitely not all created equally, so choosing lower calorie beers (if they're you're style) can also be a reasonable choice.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Water is a good alternative, won't get you drunk though.

In terms of alcohol, you're going down the right path with vodka.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for beer.

If the calories are a problem, alternate between beer & water.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Less beer. Light beer. Tequila.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    whiskey on the rocks
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bourbon rocks, bourbon and diet, vodka and diet tonic, etc. Just be sure to accurately measure your pour if you're worried about the calories. It can get heavier as the day wears on.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Truth.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Truth.

Sex

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka with club soda 50 calories a shot..and water flavour or Black Fly ice tea coolers...100 calories a bottle.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Truth.

Sex

BF-A-ZxCQAER0IA.png
  • Rossergirl
    Rossergirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I try to have 12 oz of water after every drink (beer or Vodka). That cuts down on the intake and helps you stay hydrated. I agree no substitute for beer, so try the beers with reduced calories if possible. Sometimes I will switch to Vodka with PowerAid Zero (no calories/sugar) or a no calorie/no sugar flavored water enhancer.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Diet tonic and gin or vodka. I find I prefer this in the summer, it's more refreshing than most beers when it's really hot out. You can even alternate every other drink with just the tonic or very little gin or vodka and you won't notice as much (keeps people off your back, too, if you're BBQ with folks who pressure you to have more)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    nurse your beer and take shots of bourbon
  • Bennysammysofie39
    Bennysammysofie39 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Drink enough beer until you puke
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've become partial to Jack and Coke Zero. Jack and Diet Coke SUCKS, but there is very little taste difference (IMO) between Coke and Coke Zero after they've had a hearty dose of JD.
  • lrpk
    lrpk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    l

Truth.

Sex

BF-A-ZxCQAER0IA.png

Lol that escalated rather quickly :blush:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    *looks around...sees whiskey already mentioned*

Well, I got nothin'...
  • olimits7
    olimits7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Great suggestions...haha!

I'm all about maintaining a healthy eating pattern but if I can't enjoy my summer BBQs by indulging then bring on the winter...haha. I agree I think vodka/whiskey with beer/water can help me reduce my calorie intake on those summer BBQ parties...
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As long as you aren't at a BBQ frequently, just enjoy. One day of going way over won't derail you too badly, and you can always make up for it slowly throughout the next week or so.

I enjoy drinking really high calorie beers like Double IPAs and Imperial Stouts, so 2-3 beers can throw me off my daily allowance. But I'm okay with it because it doesn't happen every week (and I only just got to have some drinks recently after quite some time because the meds I was on wouldn't let me, so I went a lot over this weekend).

I have done the whiskey/scotch/tequila on the rocks thing at some parties, because I nurse them longer and end up having far less.