Advice On Calories

Options
Hi there, I'm new to the forum but not to MFP (been tracking for ages), just looking for some advice.

Short version: 18y/o female, eating 1500-1900 a day, lost too much weight, looking for best way to get healthy again/gain muscle.

Long version: I'm 18, been logging for a long time but not obsessive over it. I'm 5'6'' and I don't weigh myself, but I think over the past few months I've lost weight. I'm don't think I'm underweight, but it's got to the stage that UK size 6 is too big, I'm cold and tired a lot of the time, and had no period for over 6months. I've been eating 1500-1900 per day, and do quite a lot of exercise. Just looking for an idea of how many calories I should aim for to maintain/gain a little muscle without gaining fat, and the best way to go about increasing. My typical exercise pattern is:

Monday: Gym or Run
Tuesday: Rest day (walking only)
Wednesday: 2.5 hours dance class
Thursday: 3 hours dance class
Friday: Gym or Run
Saturday: 2 hours dance teaching, plus gym or run
Sunday: Gym or run

My gym sessions are usually 40mins cardio and 30mins weights, and my runs are anything from 5k to half marathon, but usually 10-13k. I walk about 10,000 steps a day every day in addition to this.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Need your current weight to calculate TDEE.

My first suggestion would be to start lifting weights if you want to 'gain muscle.'
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi have you tried finding out your TDEE (Daily calories to maintain weight) to determine just how much you should be eating to maintain now since you said you've lost too much weight. It get calculated by your age, height and work out level. Also I hear that once you determine how many calories you should be eating to increase it by 100-200 calories until you reach that maintenance number. Check out this links below to determine what your maintenance calories should be. Also to build muscle, you need to create a caloric surplus. Meaning, you need to be ABOVE your calorie maintenance level so that you’re consuming more calories than you burn. When that happens, your body will have the extra calories it needs to create new muscle tissue. Good Luck!!

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-maintenance-calculator-daily-calorie-requirements/

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-calories-to-build-muscle-or-gain-weight/
  • antypim89
    antypim89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :) Hi there!!

First of all you do aaaaalllooott of cardio, so if your dropping weight you may want to scale back on your runs and try adjusting your gym sessions so they are more weights dominated for sure.

Try something like the ICF 5x5 programme- its a free strength programme which will introduce you into weight lifting. Muscle can only be made by lifting weights am afraid.

You also sound like a bit of an ectomorph so bump up your carbs a by around 10-20g and see how you feel. If you feel better, bump them again!! I am a kickboxing fanatic and lift weight 4 times a week and in order to maintain my weight i should eat 2200kcal per day to give you an idea. But use a TDEE calculator to get yours.

Finally if you truley think your hitting your macros and lifting enough weight to build muscle and the pound are stills dropping off....go and have your thyroid checked.

Good luck!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not having a period should worry you...tired and cold...is not a good thing

1500-1900 with all the exercise you do is not enough.

Unfortunately you can't gain muscle without gaining some fat...but to gain muscle you need to eat a lot of food...enough food to gain weight...and counter all the exercise you are doing.

You first need to get to the doctor to find out why you aren't having periods...
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    Hey_Its_Catriona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Been to the doctor, thyroid and hormones all normal apparently?! To those suggesting weight lifting, I already do it, but will definitely think of bumping up the weight and scaling back the cardio. Shame, I love running!
    As for TDEE, what on earth do I put for activity level? And I don't know my weight and don't like weighing myself, but guessing around 120lbs right now.

Thank you so much for the replies so far :)
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    Options
    Bump, anyone else got any advice?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    As far as your TDEE question, with that much exercise in your daily schedule, I would definitely list your activity level as active. Once you figure this number out, I have heard you should add 100-200 calories into your daily goal until you reach maintenance, as another response stated.

I agree that maybe lifting heavier and decreasing the cardio may help. You can still enjoy running, of course.

I'll also say that I don't think you're eating enough, the amenorrhea most importantly should be a concern for you and discussed with a doctor.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Been to the doctor, thyroid and hormones all normal apparently?! To those suggesting weight lifting, I already do it, but will definitely think of bumping up the weight and scaling back the cardio. Shame, I love running!
    As for TDEE, what on earth do I put for activity level? And I don't know my weight and don't like weighing myself, but guessing around 120lbs right now.

If you been to the doctor, they should have told you your weight.
  • donnajeanbrady
    donnajeanbrady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump, anyone else got any advice?
    Your lack of period is probably due to low body fat. Try changing your weight lifting. Not sure what kind of routine you do, but your muscles respond better when you change things up. There are some good programs that do that. I use body beast. Good luck
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Hey

If you been to the doctor, they should have told you your weight.

They didn't weigh me.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut back on running, but you should probably eat more if you want to run a lot to reach your calorie goals, which need to be over maintenance in order to build muscle. If building muscle is your main goal and you don't have additional time to do both running and extra lifting, I would cut back on some of the cardio and put that time into lifting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Did you and your doctor talk about athletic amenorrhoea specifically?

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Menstruation_athletic_amenorrhoea

...Causes of athletic amenorrhoea

The sex hormones can be disrupted by a range of factors, including:
    1. Low levels of body fat – the female body won’t menstruate below a certain percentage of body fat.
    2. Exercise – physical exertion prompts the release of certain exercise-related hormones, such as beta endorphins and catecholamines. High levels of these hormones are thought to interfere with the functioning of oestrogen and progesterone.
    3. Emotional stress – strong, negative emotions can affect the hypothalamus.
    4. Disordered eating – crash dieting and skipping meals can be signs of eating disorders and can lead to weight-related amenorrhoea.

...Treatment for athletic amenorrhoea

Treatment options depend on the person, but can include:
    1. Reducing the amount and intensity of exercise
    2. Increasing levels of body fat by two or three kilograms
    3. Making dietary adjustments such as increased calcium and additional daily kilojoules
    4. Taking calcium supplements to increase bone strength and prevent osteoporosis
    5. Starting the combined oral contraceptive pill or equivalent HRT if dietary changes and reduced exercise don’t result in menstruation returning
    6. Seeking counselling for eating disorders.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat more food.
    Well that's helpful...not
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Did you and your doctor talk about athletic amenorrhoea specifically?

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Menstruation_athletic_amenorrhoea

...Causes of athletic amenorrhoea

The sex hormones can be disrupted by a range of factors, including:
    1. Low levels of body fat – the female body won’t menstruate below a certain percentage of body fat.
    2. Exercise – physical exertion prompts the release of certain exercise-related hormones, such as beta endorphins and catecholamines. High levels of these hormones are thought to interfere with the functioning of oestrogen and progesterone.
    3. Emotional stress – strong, negative emotions can affect the hypothalamus.
    4. Disordered eating – crash dieting and skipping meals can be signs of eating disorders and can lead to weight-related amenorrhoea.

...Treatment for athletic amenorrhoea

Treatment options depend on the person, but can include:
    1. Reducing the amount and intensity of exercise
    2. Increasing levels of body fat by two or three kilograms
    3. Making dietary adjustments such as increased calcium and additional daily kilojoules
    4. Taking calcium supplements to increase bone strength and prevent osteoporosis
    5. Starting the combined oral contraceptive pill or equivalent HRT if dietary changes and reduced exercise don’t result in menstruation returning
    6. Seeking counselling for eating disorders.

Thank you for this!! I think my doc is a little ignorant, they said its normal for a runner to lose periods but that's it's not a problem and I don't need to do anything about it - he says athletic amenorrhea is perfectly OK! I'm not so sure about that, and the advice you've given here is really helpful. Time to find a new doctor...
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.

Honestly, this is probably the best advice you can be given. Food is nutrition, you do know that right?

P.S. If you truly love to run then keep doing the exercise you enjoy. Just eat more to make sure you are giving your body adequate nutrition.
  • Hey_Its_Catriona
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eat more food.

Honestly, this is probably the best advice you can be given. Food is nutrition, you do know that right?

P.S. If you truly love to run then keep doing the exercise you enjoy. Just eat more to make sure you are giving your body adequate nutrition.

I know on a basic level that I need to eat more, obviously food is nutrition. My question was relating to A ) how much more I should be eating and B ) how to go about increasing my calories so I don't gain fat ( i.e. do I just jump to what my theoretical 'maintenance' is, or increase slowly, or....)