Feeling rubbish after weighing myself

Options
2»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Simply dont start weighing yourself until you understand and can deal with fluctuations, which occur naturally and could encompass swings of 5lbs a day. Scales are just one measure.
  • milopacha
    milopacha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i started the south beach diet phase 1 thing about 10 days ago and have had the same experience - even though have stuck to it pretty well i haven't lost at all and seem to have put on half a kilo. it's just a bit hard to not see any progress. will try to power through though and heed all your good advice. need to take measurements too. dumb question what do you use to do that? i have a tape measure but it seems a bit too stiff for proper measurements
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A dressmakers tape measure, the soft flexible type. I'm a dressmaker so always have about 20 to hand!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    And do upper arms, waist, upper hips, full hips, thighs and calves. Also, I find having a couple items of clothing that are too small or too uncomfortably tight to wear are a good indicator too. Take photos.

Just don't do all of these things obsessively, every week or fortnight is plenty.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My advice is:
    1. Weigh yourself in the morning after visiting the toilet.
    2. Buy a set of digital scales and weigh everything you eat and drink.
    3. Don't rely soley on weight, track measurements and take pictures. The scales can lie!!
  • milopacha
    milopacha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks vintage feline - will have to get one of those. and Chezzie84 thanks for those ideas. given my lifestyle though i can't see myself being able to weigh everything i eat unfortunately so will have to estimate as best can!
  • SampeteIII
    SampeteIII Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You can actually gain a little weight when you lose fat and build muscle. If your body is slimming & you're looking more athletic, then that's what's probably going on. Stay on your grind & keep up your hard work.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SampeteIII wrote: »
    You can actually gain a little weight when you lose fat and build muscle. If your body is slimming & you're looking more athletic, then that's what's probably going on. Stay on your grind & keep up your hard work.

OP isn't gaining muscle if she's in a calorie deficit.
  • ChelleE31
    ChelleE31 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary, I'd recommend getting a digital scale and weighing things, your weights and measures are all over the show so it looks like you're trying to make a good guess. You'd be surprised how inaccurate we can be and you may find you are over/under estimating and that's tripping you up without realising. It's all a learning curve at first!

Thanks for the advice but what do you mean by all over the show? I measure so I know the calories exactly right, the food I've listed is the nearest to what I have but the a lories are correct.

For example, yogurt, it's not the exact brand or flavour I have but its the same calories , I just couldn't find the exact on listed. Is this what you mean by it being a bit inaccurate?
  • ChelleE31
    Options
    SampeteIII wrote: »

OP isn't gaining muscle if she's in a calorie deficit.

Surely you must be gaining a little muscle or isn't exercising just damaging and weakening the body?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I mean for things that aren't prepackaged like a yoghurt, you have some in ounces, some in grams, some in cups, so it looks like guesstimates. One I can remember is a cup of raspberries but cups are only for liquids. You also have 0.85 of a cup of soy sauce, I don't even know how you work that out! I weigh everything so it's all in grams or liquids it's millimeters and if it's something odd like aforementioned soy sauce I'd use measuring spoons probably.
  • ChelleE31
    Options
    I mean for things that aren't prepackaged like a yoghurt, you have some in ounces, some in grams, some in cups, so it looks like guesstimates. One I can remember is a cup of raspberries but cups are only for liquids. You also have 0.85 of a cup of soy sauce, I don't even know how you work that out! I weigh everything so it's all in grams or liquids it's millimeters and if it's something odd like aforementioned soy sauce I'd use measuring spoons probably.

Right I see what you mean, those things were all packages but i couldn't find the brand listed so I just picked something of the same type, like any soy sauce but edited the amount , so the calorie content was the same as the packaged one (the one is eaten). Hope that makes sense?

• ChelleE31
    Options
    I don't look at the ounces, cups when I input on here, I just work out the calories at home and then input a similar product on here so I can work out my calorie intake.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    So how are you working out the calorie content of something if you don't know what it weighs? Say you buy a multipack of chicken breasts, they're not all going to be the same weight/calorie content. Your soy sauce was in a big bottle? How do you know exactly how much you used because it seems like you used a hell of a lot, nearly a 1/5th of a cup, look at the sodium intake on that alone! You'll also be throwing off your nutrition counts and macros. I've yet to find something I'm eating not listed, I use a combination of looking up generic items and scanning barcodes for specifics like peanut butter, bread, protein shake. I found I was seriously lacking in some nutrients and have rectified that with diet tweaks and supplements.

I didn't weigh my food at first although I was pretty good at getting it right I discovered once I did start weighing but it can be a real eye opener.
  • ChelleE31
    Options
    So how are you working out the calorie content of something if you don't know what it weighs? Say you buy a multipack of chicken breasts, they're not all going to be the same weight/calorie content. Your soy sauce was in a big bottle? How do you know exactly how much you used because it seems like you used a hell of a lot, nearly a 1/5th of a cup, look at the sodium intake on that alone! You'll also be throwing off your nutrition counts and macros. I've yet to find something I'm eating not listed, I use a combination of looking up generic items and scanning barcodes for specifics like peanut butter, bread, protein shake. I found I was seriously lacking in some nutrients and have rectified that with diet tweaks and supplements.

I didn't weigh my food at first although I was pretty good at getting it right I discovered once I did start weighing but it can be a real eye opener.

The soy sauce was in a small packet rather then a bottle so it said calorie in take for that packets for chicken I just looked on the shops nutritional information per breast.

I do see what you mean though :). I'll definitely invest in some digital scales. Even if I'm going a bit wrong with my calculations, I know I'm not far off. Today was an exception with the sauce and noddles, 6/7 nights I have fish/or chicken with a a handful of veg, lunch is always salad and a small amount of meat or fish and breakfast is mostly 1 slice of wholemeal bread, two scrambled eggs.

I don't think j can really go wrong with that sort of diet