Single mom on a budget

Options
brightlitblueskies
brightlitblueskies Posts: 17 Member
Any super cheap/super low calorie ideas for meals/snacks? Could really use some new ideas, especially ones you think a six year old would eat as well. She's not toooo picky.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For snack ideas, especially for a 6 year old, I would opt for unprocessed, nutrient dense, whole food snacks, vegetable or whole grain-based. Look for high delivery of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. High protein snacks are also a good idea. Oatmeal-granola nut protein bars are easy to mix, bake, and cut into squares.

Take a look at SeriousEats.com - There are a ton of ideas there with pictures, explanations, and recipes.
  • brightlitblueskies
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    For snack ideas, especially for a 6 year old, I would opt for unprocessed, nutrient dense, whole food snacks, vegetable or whole grain-based. Look for high delivery of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. High protein snacks are also a good idea. Oatmeal-granola protein bars, perhaps.

Take a look at SeriousEats.com - There are a ton of ideas there with pictures, explanations, and recipes.

Thank you! I was just reading through your post actually!
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    you can find lots of stuff at the 99 cent store! I don't know what your budget is though.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Frozen veg is a must! Much cheaper than fresh and still has lots of nurtional value, my 6 year old is fussy too but i always give her a smoothie for breakfast and chopped up apples are a good after school snack, or carrot sticks :)
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs. You can boil the whole carton and keep in the fridge for about a week for a quick snack. My daughter LOVES boiled eggs. She used to eat the eggs at Easter instead of painting them.

Baby carrots. You can get a bag for about a dollar. Take some out for a snack.

Honestly anything you cook at home with minimal added fat and sugar will be able to fit in your diet and be reasonably affordable.

Frozen veggies and if needed canned veggies (canned is still better than NO veggies)

Cook in bulk and freeze individual servings so you can thaw as needed.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    a big bottle of orville redenbachers popcorn ( air popcorns)
    At walmart only 5 dollar and you do weeks with them.

Even when you eat a huge bow each night like me.

nyy5tc2mcdxd.jpg

• brightlitblueskies
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the recommendations! A lot of good ideas here.
  • brightlitblueskies
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/

Delish and very very detailed in terms of costs etc. Love her blog. This is all you will need.

This is the BEST website! Thank you for sharing!

• girgir1031
    girgir1031 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Crepes are so easy to make. Flour, milk, water, eggs, sugar, salt and choice of flavor (typically vanilla is what we use). Once made you can top them with about anything. We have done pizza rolls from them, cottage cheese on top, fruit, peanut butter, pretty much anything you can think of. Plus you can cut them into fun shapes for kids
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    5dollardinners.com is a great website that I use often. Her kids have dairy and gluten allergies so the recipes are usually healthy as well as cheap.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Tons of budget recipes online. I like budgetbytes. I've tried a lot of the recipes and enjoyed them. Good luck!