I need help with something

Options

Replies

• snbrown1214
    snbrown1214 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You don't need to criticize me when I'm asking for help. This is why I don't ask for help. You don't need to criticize me for taking a appetite suppressor either. It's not like I'm taking it and still eating McDonald's n drinking soda. I'm not. I have maybe 2 days a month that I allow myself to have a cheat item in moderation. If I wanted someone to criticize me I'd go to my ex husband....wait he would probably support me and say that I'm doing well in what I'm doing and try to help me with what I'm asking instead of making me feel bad for asking for help!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Who is criticizing you? Pointing out that you can't spot reduce and just need to continue losing weight and possibly add strength training does not equal criticism. Pointing out that you're losing weight on an appetite suppressor (which you divulged) and it may be really hard to continue losing / maintaining weight when you stop is also not criticism. You asked a question and got real answers.
  • snbrown1214
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not asking for a quick fix. I know it's going to take time I know I have to change my routine so my muscles don't get used to it so this way I keep building muscle n losing. I know this all I need to know is what machines to use to slim my legs and arms.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I take an appetite suppressor after a while you do start getting more hungry but it does keep you from gorging. Also is it a thermo one? should help with the fat burning while you workout. and if you arent hungry, just have a protein shake. that will give you the extra calories and the protein for your muscles :)

but for workouts on arms, working the triceps will get the back flabby part. I think that is one of the hardest to get rid of. legs lunges get the best results for me but they can be really hard, step ups also work good for me
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was, but if you take everyone's suggestions as criticism, you're going to have a bad time. Sure, a few people called you out. Personally, I don't think an appetite suppressant will work in the long run, but whatever you want to try. Others had nice suggestions like Body Glide, eating right, drinking more water, and being patient.

Sorry, but if you're looking for a magical weight loss faerie, you've come to the wrong place.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You can't slim one or two areas. You need to either stay at a deficit to slim down or eat a surplus to gain muscle.
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    I take an appetite suppressor after a while you do start getting more hungry but it does keep you from gorging. Also is it a thermo one? should help with the fat burning while you workout. and if you arent hungry, just have a protein shake. that will give you the extra calories and the protein for your muscles :)

No phentermine and I have 2 protein shakes a day.....finally someone not looking down. On me or saying I'm taking a easy way out
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Patience, Patience, Patience!

Be honest with yourself. You did not get to be in bad health and bad shape overnight. It is going to take at least twice that time to recover and get back into a healthy state for you and your body.

Right now if you are only eating 900 your body thinks it is starving. If your body thinks it starving no matter how much exercise you put it through it will turn that food into fat. Therefore making it impossible to lose any fat at all. Eat the calories that MFP or your program says you should eat. Only a slight deficit is all that is required to lose weight when you are exercising.

As long as you are enjoying the workouts you have chosen, stick with them. The 5x5 program is building lean muscle mass. As long as you are eating 0.8g-1g of protein per pound of current lean muscle mass results will eventually start showing. Since you are strength training it is more important to rely on measurements of your body than what the scale says. Do as much cardio as you can manage, just don't go overboard. With strength training it is important that you incorporate at least a rest day or two in your week so the body has a chance to build the muscle you are trying to create. It is that muscle that will burn more calories. Since 5x5's is a three day a week program there is no need to add another day to that program. By doing that, again, you are not allowing the muscle to build itself properly.

Everyone, male or female, wishes that they could get the spare tire or chubby thighs spot reduced. It is never going to happen. Each person here put fat on differently and it comes off differently. There is no magic solution to losing that fat. Since there are several types of fat, each kind gets used by the body under stress in a different manner and therefore is reduced in a different order. Maintain a good diet, watch your macros and adjust them as needed.

Hope you understand and Good Luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I went from having thigh rub to not having my thighs touch at all. The solution is weight loss. You can't pick where the weight comes off. Eventually it will come off of there.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you can also eat foods like advocado and cottage cheese. they are still good for you but have a higher calorie count, also broccoli is a high carb veggie, a banana in the morning has high calories. this will help you get more calories without having to eat more. nuts and peanut butter are also higher in calories too.
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »

Be honest with yourself. You did not get to be in bad health and bad shape overnight. It is going to take at least twice that time to recover and get back into a healthy state for you and your body.

Right now if you are only eating 900 your body thinks it is starving. If your body thinks it starving no matter how much exercise you put it through it will turn that food into fat. Therefore making it impossible to lose any fat at all. Eat the calories that MFP or your program says you should eat. Only a slight deficit is all that is required to lose weight when you are exercising.

As long as you are enjoying the workouts you have chosen, stick with them. The 5x5 program is building lean muscle mass. As long as you are eating 0.8g-1g of protein per pound of current lean muscle mass results will eventually start showing. Since you are strength training it is more important to rely on measurements of your body than what the scale says. Do as much cardio as you can manage, just don't go overboard. With strength training it is important that you incorporate at least a rest day or two in your week so the body has a chance to build the muscle you are trying to create. It is that muscle that will burn more calories. Since 5x5's is a three day a week program there is no need to add another day to that program. By doing that, again, you are not allowing the muscle to build itself properly.

Everyone, male or female, wishes that they could get the spare tire or chubby thighs spot reduced. It is never going to happen. Each person here put fat on differently and it comes off differently. There is no magic solution to losing that fat. Since there are several types of fat, each kind gets used by the body under stress in a different manner and therefore is reduced in a different order. Maintain a good diet, watch your macros and adjust them as needed.

That's the funny thing according to my blood work and every thing I'm actually healthy I'm just overweight. I'm not on high blood pressure med.....122/68. I'm not diabetic...93... I'm not on high cholesterol med it was actually 140...and my good cholesterol was actually on the low side of 35.my dr was suprised bc she thought for sure I was going to end up on all these new med for those things and not a single one just the phentermine.
  • DesertGunR
    Options

That's the funny thing according to my blood work and every thing I'm actually healthy I'm just overweight. I'm not on high blood pressure med.....122/68. I'm not diabetic...93... I'm not on high cholesterol med it was actually 140...and my good cholesterol was actually on the low side of 35.my dr was suprised bc she thought for sure I was going to end up on all these new med for those things and not a single one just the phentermine.

It is good that you and your Doctor have done this blood work and that you do not have any of those problems. You are still overweight and that in and of itself is unhealthy. You recognized that on your own and made the conscience decision to do something about it. Follow the advice that I and other here have given you. There are no easy answers and it takes time for changes in your new lifestyle to start making a visible difference.

Good Luck.
  • snbrown1214
    Options

It is good that you and your Doctor have done this blood work and that you do not have any of those problems. You are still overweight and that in and of itself is unhealthy. You recognized that on your own and made the conscience decision to do something about it. Follow the advice that I and other here have given you. There are no easy answers and it takes time for changes in your new lifestyle to start making a visible difference.

Good Luck.

I know that it takes time but I don't need people looking down at me for the way that me and my dr are doing this
  • DesertGunR
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nobody here is looking down on you here. Especially not me. You asked for help and many of us have given you sound advice meant to help you meet your stated goal. Whether you listen to that advice is up to you. All of us here have been in your position or far, far worse and are trying to help you through our own experiences.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    No one is looking down on you. You are asking which specific machines to use to slim down specific body parts, and there simply isn't one. All you can do is continue to lose weight and build overall muscle. Now, if you're asking for a good way to start a strength program, I do think a lot of people can help.
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    No they were it seemed bc I'm on a appetite suppressor and not able to eat more then 900 nutritional calories bc I'm not hungry and that's forcing it.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    No they were it seemed bc I'm on a appetite suppressor and not able to eat more then 900 nutritional calories bc I'm not hungry and that's forcing it.

I'm sorry if it feels like people are looking down on you. The fact that you are doing it under a doctor's care alleviates some concerns. At least for me, the reason I asked about it is that the thing that is going to help you the most with your problem areas will be to lift weights - free weights, not machines. That is going to be difficult for you to do on 900 calories a day, so the results you're looking may be slower coming if you continue with the appetite suppressant. That this may not be a sustainable to maintain your weight loss is also a valid concern. But as long as you're being safe and you feel good, then you're an adult and you can make your own choices.

We're not looking down on you, we just want to make sure that what you're doing is something you've arrived at with full knowledge of all options and consequences. If you thought you needed to take an appetite suppressant when you really don't, and you weren't under the supervision of a doctor, it could be harmful to your health and counterproductive to your goals. In that case it really wouldn't be very caring or supportive of us to just say nothing.
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    No its part of her clinic I'm in I have to play by her rules. But I have started adding bananas and apples to my protein smoothies for the extra calories
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    eat at a deficit and lift heavy.
  • snbrown1214
    Options
    I'm not strong enough for very heavy lifting I am working my way up there. I was able to do to set of 5 of assisted dips where as last time I tried I couldn't do one set of 3