Sharing my mini achievement

Options
Today, I wanted to share with the MFP community my first mini achievement during my journey of weight loss. I started trying to lose weight in late March when I touched 203lb. I found MFP, and although I did not yet start logging my activities here, I started reading the motivation and support forum and couple other forum threads diligently. In one of those threads, there was a mention that the goal for losing weight should not be losing weight but should be supplemented by a secondary goal, something that would lead to weightloss during the process of achieving that goal. This motivated me to take the next step and face my nemesis, running. I said to myself in January that I will run a marathon by end of the year.

I started off slow, running less than half mile for over a week, and then slowly graduated to running my first mile after 1 month. Then added half mile every week, till I reached 3 miles. I started running 5 times a day. Slowly I increased my weekly run distance till I felt comfortable running upto 6 miles in a single go. It definitely was not easy. I braved rain, torrid heat and a few times, some of the most pleasant evening weather I have ever enjoyed.

This weekend, I finally ran my first half marathon. It is a first mini achievement. The time was horrible. I crossed finish line at 2:35. But I achieved running continuously without walking (except during one or 2 water breaks) and finishing my last 1.5 miles faster than any other distance throughout the run.

During the process, I have lost 22 lb's. I still have ways to go (I am now 181 but I need to be at 150-155 to get better at running, I am 5'9), but slowly the progress is showing. I want to thank every member who posts on these forums for their contribution in motivating me and I hope this thread can help others achieve their own goals!

Replies

• phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That is a major achievement ,I can't think of that as mini, you have major league changed ur lifestyle. Congratulations
  • aencinas18
    aencinas18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That is major! Big congratulations on that achievement! I hope to be in your shoes someday!
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That's amazing, sounds like a major achievement to me!
  • myfitnessloselbs
    myfitnessloselbs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It is truly encouraging and inspiring. I still have ways to go before I achieve my weight goal but I hope I get there. I dont have any timeline per se, but getting there by late August/ early September timeframe will be good for my marathon run since I plan on running the Marine Corps Marathon. Not sure but I will keep you guys posted. Keep plugging away and feel free to add me as friend here.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mini -- ?! This is definitely a *major* achievement, and is absolutely terrific!

Congratulations!
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mini -- ?! This is definitely a *major* achievement, and is absolutely terrific!

Congratulations!

I was thinking the same thing!! Mini?!?! Lol no! That is fantastic! Kudos to you and thanks for sharing! Very inspiring!
  • myfitnessloselbs
    myfitnessloselbs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. Means a lot. I hope we can all motivate each other and stay on course to achieve our weight loss goals.
  • Reg4502
    Reg4502 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thats huge! Congrats!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? That is a major achievement. I could finish a half marathon if I logrolled downhill for the last half of it. You did great. Give yourself a pat on the back :)