Help!!!

Options
Hello guys I'm 19 years old, 5'4" and weigh 166 pounds. I wanted to at least lose 30 pounds but this is the first time I want to be serious about this because I want to be comfortable in my own skin and have to take charge. How long should it take me to lose 30 pounds? Can I expect to lose this much after a month to maintain a healthy weight or will it take much longer?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It'll probably take you five to six months to lose that much.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oh no, it will definitely take longer than a month. I would expect to spend 6-12 months. It might be on the short end, maybe on the long end, of that. You'll lose a bit quicker at first (you have a bit of a water whoosh to start) and then it will likely slow down to about .5-1 pounds a week on average over the long term. That means that some weeks will be more, some will be less, some will be stagnant.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, a month isn't near enough. I'd expect it to take 6+ months.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Realistically, about 6-12 months and that's only if you're doing it right... which most people don't. It's a learning process.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    30 lbs will take 15 to 30 weeks to lose, possibly even a bit longer.
  • mylittlecherry
    mylittlecherry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Just wondering have you guys had success with your endeavors in losing weight? Can you give me any tips to remain persistent with my calorie in take or anything I should avoid in particular? Would exercising more often maybe even on a daily basis speed up the progress?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

And no, exercising more often won't speed up weight loss especially if you don't have your "diet" right.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    everyone is different, but set yourself up for success. It will be more than a month.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Just wondering have you guys had success with your endeavors in losing weight?
    Just a little:
    32374451.png
    Can you give me any tips to remain persistent with my calorie in take or anything I should avoid in particular? Would exercising more often maybe even on a daily basis speed up the progress?
    • 1-2lbs per week is the recommended amount for safe/healthy weight loss.
    • Weight loss slows down the closer you get to your goal.
    • Set up your profile on MFP with the correct information. Eat the calorie goal it gives you and if you workout eat 50% -75% of the calories you burned during exercise. (MFP gives you a goal so you lose weight without exercise. If you exercise you will increase your deficit. To make sure your deficit stays at a healthy range you need to eat some of the calories back) After about a month you can re-evaluate and adjust the amount you eat back from exercise based on your loss. Losing more than planned or over 2lbs per week = eat a bit more; Losing less than planned = eat a bit less
    • Weigh your food on a food scale. (You don't have to, but I highly recommend it so that you can be as accurate as possible)
  • mstuck08
    mstuck08 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've seen people drop 7 to 8 in a week then it falls off slower. Everyone is different. Just make sure your diet is intact with exercising
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options