Honey and warm water

Options
Hiya Guys,

Just hoping for some clarification. My work colleague swears by drinking warm water with honey just before bed and says her weight loss has sped up as a result.

I just don't understand how a sugary drink before bed would help with weight loss. I've had a look on line and I can't really find anything to explain it.

Has anyone lost weight quicker because of it and if so do u know the science behind it?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    If it was only that simple, no one would be fat.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. Beverages don't enhance weight loss. Honey is very good for you, but it's still calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. She's making a classic correlation vs. causation logical fallacy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sugar at bed time as a weight loss aide? Yeah, no.
  • tijlab86
    tijlab86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought, but she was so adamant that is was helping her. Anyway I told her I probably would give it a miss as it didn't make much sense to me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • heathsab
    heathsab Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I mean, I can see that if you had substituted an evening dessert (say, a bowl of ice cream) for warm water with honey, it could help speed up weight loss because you'd be eating significantly fewer calories and also not feeling deprived if you were still satisfying your sweet tooth with the honey. One of those classic ideas that wouldn't help as an addition to a diet, but as a substitution would probably be a good thing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Tell her it only works if she adds cider vinegar.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Tell her it only works if she adds cider vinegar.

Bwahahaha!
  • ShareenaFulton
    ShareenaFulton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not surprised. My friend has a book called the hibernation diet which had something similar to this. I took a quick flick through it when I was crashing at her's and from what I can tell, it's got no evidence to back it up.

From memory, it proposed some vague connection between stocking the liver with "healthy" glucose to help the body burn fat during sleep, or something like that. Can't remember exactly, but it sounded pretty far fetched at the time and I also noted that the "recommended" diet plan at the back was of a low calorie variety that, if followed, would most likely be the reason behind the weightloss, rather than the honey at night.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Although, that may help me be more sleepy. I'd prefer an herbal tea *_*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_nbna7ulRaq1sgsc86.gif

people think, say, and do all sorts of dumb *kitten*...but there's actually science and stuff behind weight control objectives.
  • baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Honey works for some people to have a good rest/stay full. But if this doesn't "make sense scientifically" , this could also be a placebo affect for her and it still works anyway, so I don't suggest telling her how stupid it is,etc. If it works for her that's great
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »
    Honey works for some people to have a good rest/stay full. But if this doesn't "make sense scientifically" , this could also be a placebo affect for her and it still works anyway, so I don't suggest telling her how stupid it is,etc. If it works for her that's great

So ... you concede it isn't working for her but want people to allow her to live in a delusion.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »

So ... you concede it isn't working for her but want people to allow her to live in a delusion.

I don't think the placebo effect works on CICO, and believe me I have tried.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe a small snack before be either stops the having a larger midnight snack or maybe they are less hungry in the morning and have a smaller breakfast.

But my guess is it is all in their head.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Depending how much honey you use, all your doing is adding extra calories

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised she isn't adding cinnamon aswell. The Cinnamon and honey concoction spread around the interwebz like wild fire. I tried it for a while, it was like drinking a globule of snot :sick: plus once again, did nothing for weight loss...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a load of *****