Explain please before I spontaneously combust!!!

Options
I have been using MFP for nearly 10 weeks and have only lost 2lb?!
I was 230lbs when I started and now I am 228lb...
I exercise 4 times a week. 2 spin classes, 1 swim, 1 run and walk a lot...

Replies

• Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your eating habits? =o
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Have you been losing inches instead?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and log everything you put into your mouth?
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. Impossible to speculate.
  • Sonyafats
    Sonyafats Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everything !!!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? You posted this in the gaining section but it sounds like you're trying to lose.

Are you tracking your calories as accurately as you can? Would you be comfortable opening your diary?
  • Sonyafats
    Options
    Yes I can tell the difference in my clothes but surely I haven't gained over 14lbs in muscle ??
  • Sonyafats
    Options
    Will try and open diary
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Sonyafats wrote: »
    Everything !!!!!

That's helpful.

Everything what?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Yes I can tell the difference in my clothes but surely I haven't gained over 14lbs in muscle ??

What?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Eating more and burning less than you think. Unless 2lbs over ten weeks was your objective then you havent been doing the basics properly. The same with virtually everyone else who doesnt lose weight. Open your diary for those that come after and they will probably be able to verify where you are going wrong.

What sort of deficit have you been running?
    Are you eating calories back?
    How are you calculating burns?
    Are you weighing your food with a scale?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    The most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? I only ask because some people forget about the little things or think they aren't worth tracking. Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Flame on! B)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You're eating too many calories. Period.

I suggest you check out the links provided by Dianne above and then take a chance to really evaluate what you're eating.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No you haven't gained 14lbs of muscle. (Highly unlikely). Are you weighing yourself consistently? Same day each week, appx same time? Similar conditions EG: Naked, before eating and after using the washroom? Have you changed the batteries in your scale? Is it always in the same place? If you feel it in your clothes, maybe you have lost more than you think.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ah, the daily "What am I doing wrong?!" post.

Here are the major questions you need to answer:

1. Have you calculated your TDEE?
    2. How much weight per week do you want to lose?
    3. Are you eating the appropriate number of calories?
    4. Are you accurately weighing and logging your food?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ah, the daily "What am I doing wrong?!" post.

Here are the major questions you need to answer:

1. Have you calculated your TDEE?
    2. How much weight per week do you want to lose?
    3. Are you eating the appropriate number of calories?
    4. Are you accurately weighing and logging your food?

^^^
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is the first time I have ever seen this in this forum and I'm glad to see that someone recognizes that not every person burns the same amount of calories even if they are the same weight, height, sex, and age. Those TDEE's are way off for me, even if I put in sedentary the calorie counts are way too high.

[/quote] And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again. [/quote]

• Sonyafats
    Options
    Thank you! Will try it x
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Thank you! Will try it x

It would be really helpful if you used the quote button at the bottom of the post that you're replying to so the rest of us can see who you're talking to.

Best of luck on your journey. I hope you're getting whatever information you need. If not, answering some of the questions you're being asked really would help you get more specific answers.