What to put on popcorn?

Options
What do you put on air popped popcorn without adding a ton of calories? I've always used butter and salt, but that adds a lot of calories, so I'm looking for some new ways to make popcorn.

Replies

• TerraThomas1
    TerraThomas1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's not butter spray or a little parmesan cheese.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I add a bit of shredded parmesan.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Plain salt or taco seasoning
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I started a somewhat related thread about how to get seasonings to stick without butter here.

If you just want a salty taste, I'd suggest popping your popcorn on the stove in some coconut oil with the salt in the oil as it is popping - then you don't need to add anything after! If you want other seasonings, this might not work (could burn or clump), but you can also do sweet kettle corn this way. I popped 1/2 cup kernels just fine with 1 tsp coconut oil in my whirley pop today, although if you are not adding anything after I would suggest using more like 1-2 tbsp oil + the salt.

For other seasonings, I've been using Bertolli Ultra Light Olive Oil Spray (no propellant), but I'm sure any "butter" spray without propellant would work just as well (I just can't find such an item in stores here).
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Plain salt or taco seasoning

I'm going to have to try taco seasoning . . . would never have thought of that. Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    coconut oil and salt. I suppose a "ton" of calories is pretty relative though.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Coconut oil has about the same amount of calories as butter, and doesn't taste as good. Any low cal suggestions?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Parmesan and garlic salt
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Coconut oil has about the same amount of calories as butter, and doesn't taste as good. Any low cal suggestions?

Meh...I like it better with popcorn. And by relative I meant that having a 300 calorie bowl of popcorn is not particularly a ton of calories for me.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Meh...I like it better with popcorn. And by relative I meant that having a 300 calorie bowl of popcorn is not particularly a ton of calories for me.

That would be a very unsatisfying 1/4 of my daily calories for me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Parmesan. The real stuff. If you use a fine microplane to shred it yourself, 10 grams goes a long way and is around 45 ish calories.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you consider it low calorie, but low(er) calorie caramel popcorn. ~144kcal/serving (1 cup).
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Cut the portion down of real butter and still use that. That's what I'm doing. Yum. I thought about the shredded parm. Think I will try that soon!
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Parmesan and garlic salt

love it, I'll try this next time :+1:
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like Cavender's Greek Seasoning on mine.
  • amber_tegeler
    amber_tegeler Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love spray butter and lemon pepper
  • ShareenaFulton
    ShareenaFulton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love paprika on my popcorn. Yum.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast flakes and a bit of salt. Two tbsp has about 60 cals, though it is full of B vitamins and has about 9 grams of complete protein and a some fibre as well. It tastes a little cheesy/nutty. Hard to describe, but I like it as a popcorn topping.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I get movie theatre buttered popcorn and the whole bag is like 290 calories. Shared with another person, it's only 145... Mmm butter.
    But I'm a big fan of Parmesan as well!