Quick but healthy meals

Options
Meliissami
Meliissami Posts: 20 Member
i work 9 till 6 weekdays and I don't really have a lot of time to cook when I get home from work and I'm not a big fan of vegetables so does anybody have any quick but healthy meals that's don't have a lot of vegetables in them x

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You don't like ANY vegetables? Prepared in any manner?

What do you define as healthy (or unhealthy)?

What sorts of food have you been eating before you decided you wanted healthy dinners? Do you have favourite foods (which would help people make suggestions that incorporate or modify them)?

Most meats have cuts that can be done in a frying pan in under 10 minutes with little/no fuss (like maybe "flip it once" levels of work here). Same for egg.

If you like salmon, and have access to a decent source, smoked salmon with cream cheese or avocado on crackers or toast or whatever is good and quick.
  • Meliissami
    Options
    I eat a lot pasta I know it's not the best thing but it's quick and I eat a lot of fish and chicken but it gets boring have the same stuff all the time
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that people who "don't like vegetables" haven't tried enough to be able to comfortably make that judgement. There are thousands of different vegetables with thousands of different flavors and thousands of different preparations.
  • Meliissami
    Options
    True but the ones I have tried i haven't liked so it's put me off wanting to try others
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Meliissami wrote: »
    True but the ones I have tried i haven't liked so it's put me off wanting to try others

That's not a good excuse. Go buy a bunch of vegetables and read up on how to season and cook them.
  • Meliissami
    Options
    I will I need to try and eat some
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    What vegetables have you tried? How did you cook them, and what didn't you like about them?
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    buy a slow cooker. you can put ANYTHING into them! nothing like walking in the door after a long day at the salt mines and being greeted by the smell of a home-cooked meal! all ready and waiting for you...
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Invest in a speed cooking class. Then you can make literally anything you want.

Here's what I mean:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TVpQiCIqp4
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    before hand, marinate or otherwise season some kind of protein...get home and grill said protein...eat with veg of your choice (or not) cooked however you like...serve with starch of some kind.

Example for tonight...I have some chicken marinating at home...when I get home I will fire up the oven and get my baked potatoes going...when I have about 1/2 hour left I will fire up the grill and throw the chicken on and probably either steam some broccoli or saute some greens in some good olive oil.

If I wasn't doing the baked potatoes and was doing some other starch, this whole thing would take me like 20 minutes tops...but the bakers just sit there for an hour so it's not like I'm slaving over a hot stove or something.

In the almost three years I've been on MFP, I can't believe the number of people who must never have been fed vegetables as a child...it's kind of sad. Even when I was fat, I always loved my veggies.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Do you have an objection to leftovers? If you don't have time to cook after work, perhaps you should cook large batches so that you can just eat that for the week. If you don't like eating the same thing for multiple days in a row, you can make a few different recipes and freeze in single servings so that you have a variety to choose from.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    before hand, marinate or otherwise season some kind of protein...get home and grill said protein...eat with veg of your choice (or not) cooked however you like...serve with starch of some kind.

Example for tonight...I have some chicken marinating at home...when I get home I will fire up the oven and get my baked potatoes going...when I have about 1/2 hour left I will fire up the grill and throw the chicken on and probably either steam some broccoli or saute some greens in some good olive oil.

If I wasn't doing the baked potatoes and was doing some other starch, this whole thing would take me like 20 minutes tops...but the bakers just sit there for an hour so it's not like I'm slaving over a hot stove or something.

In the almost three years I've been on MFP, I can't believe the number of people who must never have been fed vegetables as a child...it's kind of sad. Even when I was fat, I always loved my veggies.

My love of veggies is why I have issues hitting my fat macro hahaha

Tonight, I'm tossing together a rag-tag salad and scrambling some eggs.

I made shrimp & soba noodle salad the other night.
    Pretty quick if you use cooked shrimp already
    http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2013/03/18/soba-noodle-and-shrimp-salad-with-peanut-ginger-dressing/

You have time before work to do prep work and just cook it when you get home.
    I'd like 9-6 lol
    I've got 730- at least 5pm
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    slow cookers are awesome. I also do weekend prep when I can and freeze portions
    work on eating the vegetables. you don't have to like them. just eat them
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I batch grill chicken and sweet potatoes, then dice the chicken and save in individual portions. Each night I saute the chicken in a little olive oil, throw it on top of a bed of spinach with tomatoes + whatever else I have on hand. Sometimes I'll throw in black beans or chick peas if I need extra carbs. Heat up the sweet potato in the microwave. Easy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it a meal without vegetables, and certainly not a healthy meal.

Some quick meals without veggies:
    Stir fry, which I suppose you could make without veggies.
    Grilled meat/fish and instant rice
    Cheese/meat omelet
    Canned tuna sandwich
    Tacos or burritos using canned or leftover meat, cheese and canned beans (unless beans are also off the menu)

Some longer cooking but easy make ahead meals:
    Soup (chicken and rice, chicken noodle, beef and barley, lentil, split pea, etc.)
    Stew
    Chili
    Crockpot meals
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My go to quick dinner would have to be stir fry. In the 20 min it takes to steam some jasmine rice, I have the veg/meat mixture ready and can eat :#