Protein and supplement help

Options
right now I'm drinking whey chocolate protein after each work out. I lift but I need help deciding what vitamins, supplements to take that will help me? Also if there's a better protein to take? Any suggestions? What do you guys use?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know what to suggest for you but, myself, I take glucosamine, fish oil, carnitine, a multi-vitamin and creatine.

ETA: That's on top of drinking whey protein post-workout, of course.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I prepare my own protein shake with Solgar whey protein, one banana and almond milk. I take it 45 minutes before my workout. I also prepare another mix of Solgar whey protein and water and take this one to the gym. I drink it as soon as my workout is over.

I take vitamins and supplements only if I am not eating food with those components (i.e. fish oil if I do not eat fish that day, Vitamin C if I do not eat citrics that day, etc)
    MFP food summary in the phone app are very useful to check which Vitamins will be missing when I pre log
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Whey protein is probably the most optimal type of protein to take, price wise and it's amino acid profile is exceptionally good. So stick with it.

I currently just take creatine daily and use whey protein to help me hit my protein goals as it's cheap and effective.

That's it. I've used other things in the past, such as multi-vitamins, fish oils, a vast amount of pre-workouts, BCAAs and also various compounds found in pre-workouts. As I'm currently a student living away from home I can't afford to buy these things.

I've not really seen any difference training without all of the above. The only exception is pre-workouts on a bad day do help, but the price in the UK is not worth the very occasional bad workout. The only things I really recommend are creatine as it's cheap and effective and also whey protein if you are struggling to hit your protein goals.
  • brielizabeth2013
    Options
    Thank you!
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I prefer whey over casein as well. My next batch I'm getting will be whey isolate. As far as vitamins you need, you need to check your RDA's and tailor your supps collection according to your diet.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It depends on your workout regime and lifestyle. First protein, I agree with everyone on whey protein if you are drinking it 1-2 hours before a workout, after a workout or any daytime snacking. If you want it as a snack 2-3 hours before bed I strongly suggest casein. Casein works as slow release protein which is PERFECT for digesting and helping recover your body while you sleep. Every other supplement is dependent on lifestyle but typically your average person who is not bodybuilding, powerlifting or an athlete (recreational or competitive) only truly needs a good multivitamin. Creatine monohydrate is optional (when shopping get straight up 100% creatine monohydrate, anything other is just a bunch of filler and waste of extra money). Preworkout is also debatable as all this is, is a stimulant. Drinking a rockstar/monster/coffee and drinking intraworkout BCAAs do the EXACT same thing depending on your caffeine tolerance. All other supplements unless you are a bodybuilder/power lifter/athlete or have some medical issues are complete garbage. You average healthy person doesn't need much else as with a decent diet and exercise, your body will be fine with protein, multivitamins and a little extra (5 grams) creatine monohydrate. Hope this helps and if you need any other tips feel free to add me and ask away
  • maryroser9
    maryroser9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I haven't been taking any supplements so better get to the health food shop that's probably why I'm so tired. Only taking a zinc one brought a while ago for my hair
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I would go see your doctor first to see if you are vitamin defficient. If your not defficient then whats the point. It will just go rite through you.
  • brielizabeth2013
    Options
    I appreciate all the help and responses I'm getting. Thank you!
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I prefer to take a whey isolate after I workout sometimes mixed in with a recovery supplement to reduce soreness. As far as supplements, what are you looking for specifically? Something to help you lose fat, perform better? I use Liporidex Max before I workout or in the morning. It helps give me energy and helps me control my diet. I have yet to find anything that compares to this product.
  • symatthews
    symatthews Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide, make sure it comes from a trusted source. And any protien powder should be organic, non-gmo.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    symatthews wrote: »
    Whatever you decide, make sure it comes from a trusted source. And any protien powder should be organic, non-gmo.

I couldn't agree with you more. If you are on a budge check out Sprouts or Trader Joes, they usually have decent protein powder to choose from.
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    MRM has a great powder with a lot of amines etc. I sometimes use their non flavored one and mix with other stuff.
  • healthnut050
    healthnut050 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like quest protein, it really tastes like a chocolate milkshake! :)
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

OK I will have to get that. I have been complaining for months about how I have yet to find a good protein. If it tastes like a chocolate shake I am in. Do you mix with water or milk?
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Yes count me in too! Mine currently tastes like chalk! lol