Tracking sugar

Options
My goal is ~1400 net calories per day and I usually do about an hour of cardio so I end up eating about 2000 calories total. I end up going over almost all of the macros that I'm tracking - protein, carbs, sugar, sodium. Carbs is usually about right, for protein I find it easier to stay full if I exceed the MFP protein goal, and sodium is about right on a good day when I eat good foods and not especially salty things, but I can't figure out sugar. Does anyone else have this problem with being consistently over the sugar goal? And if so, is that bad? I mean, I figure as long as I maintain the deficit I should be fine, but ideally isn't it good to regulate sugar intake in order to stabilize blood sugar levels and minimizes cravings?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that is affected by sugar, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    heathsab wrote: »
    My goal is ~1400 net calories per day and I usually do about an hour of cardio so I end up eating about 2000 calories total. I end up going over almost all of the macros that I'm tracking - protein, carbs, sugar, sodium. Carbs is usually about right, for protein I find it easier to stay full if I exceed the MFP protein goal, and sodium is about right on a good day when I eat good foods and not especially salty things, but I can't figure out sugar. Does anyone else have this problem with being consistently over the sugar goal? And if so, is that bad? I mean, I figure as long as I maintain the deficit I should be fine, but ideally isn't it good to regulate sugar intake in order to stabilize blood sugar levels and minimizes cravings?

I'd say it depends on who you are. I find (after 14 years doing this) that when I limit my heavily refined (low quality) carbs I DO tend to get cravings. But that's more based on how I feel, rather than a number in a column on MFP.
    Given how things are set up, the sugar column is pretty useless, IMHO.
  • baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My sugar is alwaysss way over. I think fitness pal counts all fruits, any sugar in any food and it's really hard to stay away from. Even my meat slices had some sugar
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I always go over on sugar. However, I eat almost nothing with added sugar, so I don't worry about it (even though I am diabetic). My sugar comes from fruit, vegetables and dairy primarily. These are good sugars. Maybe when the new labeling requirements go into effect, MFP will change so the sugars are separated into naturally occurring and added. Then watching added sugars would be worthwhile.
  • baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That would be lovely, I'd love to see how many "bad sugars" I have daily, because my sugars are also from milk, fruits etc and always over :/
    I always go over on sugar. However, I eat almost nothing with added sugar, so I don't worry about it (even though I am diabetic). My sugar comes from fruit, vegetables and dairy primarily. These are good sugars. Maybe when the new labeling requirements go into effect, MFP will change so the sugars are separated into naturally occurring and added. Then watching added sugars would be worthwhile.

• bareessentials56
    bareessentials56 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always went over. Like I would have a smoothie with 2-3 bananas and 1 cup of berries and be over my sugar just from breakfast so eventually I just ignored sugar