How do you shrink your thighs?

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You're currently training in what would be the Hypertrophy (Muscle Growth) rep range.

Lower your sets and increase your reps. - 3sets of Lunges, and 3 sets of Squats

Shoot for 15-20 Reps on each exercise where you're pushing for the last 5. Plus, the higher reps will force you to activate your core to maintain form throughout for a longer duration.

No, this is a popular misconception. There are two different types of hypertrophy. Sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar. Sarcoplasmic relates to size and is present in the 6-12 rep range and myofibrillar relates to strength and is present in the 1-5 rep range.

Read this for more details.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/234432-if-you-think-you-gained-muscle-read-this?hl=if+you+think+you+gained

Thank you for saying this, It irks me when I hear someone talk about doing 20 reps. People, if you can do 20 reps, you're really doing very little for that muscle.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You're currently training in what would be the Hypertrophy (Muscle Growth) rep range.

Shoot for 15-20 Reps on each exercise where you're pushing for the last 5. Plus, the higher reps will force you to activate your core to maintain form throughout for a longer duration.

Yay, I'm not crazy! lol!

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense. Should I ditch the weights? (5 lbs. in each hand)

No, increase the weight (barbell on your back, not dumbbells) and decrease your sets/reps (3x5 or 5x5)

Listen to this guy! He knows what he's talking about!! Also, your body just might like to have bigger thighs. I've lost almost 20 pounds and 5 inches off my waist but barely a half an inch off each thigh (and I've been running for four months). Celebrate those curves girl!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Yay, I'm not crazy! lol!

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense. Should I ditch the weights? (5 lbs. in each hand)

No, increase the weight (barbell on your back, not dumbbells) and decrease your sets/reps (3x5 or 5x5)

Listen to this guy! He knows what he's talking about!! Also, your body just might like to have bigger thighs. I've lost almost 20 pounds and 5 inches off my waist but barely a half an inch off each thigh (and I've been running for four months). Celebrate those curves girl!

Thanks, I appreciate it!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

Yay, I'm not crazy! lol!

Thank you for saying this so I didn't have to.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I can't do it with a barbell, I'm exercising from home and I can't afford a lot of expensive equipment.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I can't do it with a barbell, I'm exercising from home and I can't afford a lot of expensive equipment.

Then I would recommend using heavier dumbbells, but that is still not as good for you as barbell squats. There should be no reason that you can’t start out with at least 20-25lb dumbbells for squats and lunges.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options

Then I would recommend using heavier dumbbells, but that is still not as good for you as barbell squats. There should be no reason that you can’t start out with at least 20-25lb dumbbells for squats and lunges.

I don't even lift that much for bicep curls... You do realize you're talking to a 5' 2" woman right? No offense, but I think you're overestimating my brute strength a little...
  • ojmom0407
    ojmom0407 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had big thighs even when I was a size 2 many years ago. When I lost 25 lbs in 2008 I went to the gym 3 nights a week for one hour. Within that hour I was on the elliptical for 25-30 min, treadmill 10 min and the rest was just doing sets of different weights. I am guessing the elliptical allowed me to lose around my thighs. I had no bubble type butt and my thighs were not big.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

I don't even lift that much for bicep curls... You do realize you're talking to a 5' 2" woman right? No offense, but I think you're overestimating my brute strength a little...

No, he's right on track. You should be able to squat a TON more than you curl. I can only curl about 15lbs right now but can easily squat about 95. Your legs are a HUGE muscle group and will naturally, being a woman, be significantly stronger than your upper body will.
  • End6ame
    Options

Your legs are stronger than your biceps. All you have to do is hold them static (in place) and squat/lunge. I guarantee you can do it; my wife is your height and does barbell squats of her body weight. Never limit yourself by what you “think” you can do; if you never push your limits you will never know how far you can go.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I had big thighs even when I was a size 2 many years ago. When I lost 25 lbs in 2008 I went to the gym 3 nights a week for one hour. Within that hour I was on the elliptical for 25-30 min, treadmill 10 min and the rest was just doing sets of different weights. I am guessing the elliptical allowed me to lose around my thighs. I had no bubble type butt and my thighs were not big.

Aw darn... I wish I still had my gym membership, but I had to give it up because of cost :frown: That would have been perfect for me... I love the elliptical!
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Running has really thinned out my thighs. :smile:
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    @those suggesting I lift 20+ lbs.--Maybe I could build up to lifting more someday, but I certainly couldn't do that today as I am right now. It's a struggle just to do 5 on each arm; I would have to do 5, 10, 15, then 20 or more, which would take a while to do. I'll keep that in mind but at the moment I don't think I'll worry about that...
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options

No, this is a popular misconception. There are two different types of hypertrophy. Sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar. Sarcoplasmic relates to size and is present in the 6-12 rep range and myofibrillar relates to strength and is present in the 1-5 rep range.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/234432-if-you-think-you-gained-muscle-read-this?hl=if+you+think+you+gained

So you're saying that everything I've learned from directly from professional NHL strength and conditioning coaches is wrong and I should take an MFP forum post as being more accurate?
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying this, It irks me when I hear someone talk about doing 20 reps. People, if you can do 20 reps, you're really doing very little for that muscle.

Actually...this is not true. REPS by definition means Rep Max...in other words...15-20 is the maximum number you can physically do before you collapse. You don't just count out a number and stop (although 95% of people doing weight training do just that).

I am currently working with a profession al NHL Strength and Conditioning coach doing specific elite training for skaters and every exercise is in the 15-20 rep range and I can tell you it's killer!
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    @those suggesting I lift 20+ lbs.--Maybe I could build up to lifting more someday, but I certainly couldn't do that today as I am right now. It's a struggle just to do 5 on each arm; I would have to do 5, 10, 15, then 20 or more, which would take a while to do. I'll keep that in mind but at the moment I don't think I'll worry about that...

You aren't "lifting" these weights with your arms, you just hold them at your side. The only muscles in your arms you really use for this is your fingers as they are holding the weight. For example, I can't even curl 95lbs with both arms, but I can easily squat and deadlift 5 sets of 5 of 185lbs.

As for finding heavier weights, check out craigslist, local ads, garage sales, etc as people are always getting rid of weights for cheap, usually less than half the price of new.
  • End6ame
    Options

Actually...this is not true. REPS by definition means Rep Max...in other words...15-20 is the maximum number you can physically do before you collapse. You don't just count out a number and stop (although 95% of people doing weight training do just that).

I am currently working with a profession al NHL Strength and Conditioning coach doing specific elite training for skaters and every exercise is in the 15-20 rep range and I can tell you it's killer!

“For skaters” is the key phrase here, you are focusing more on muscular endurance, not strength.

1 to 5 reps = Strength & Power (Myofibrillar Hypertrophy)
    6 to 12 reps = Size (Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy)
    13 to 20 reps = Muscular Endurance

The science is irrefutable, if your coach holds a CSCS, he/she knows this and that is why your program is tailored for skating.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well if u think ur getting muscle then run it off, running for more than 45 minutes eats away at ur muscle, not a good thing but you asked
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

“For skaters” is the key phrase here, you are focusing more on muscular endurance, not strength.

1 to 5 reps = Strength & Power (Myofibrillar Hypertrophy)
    6 to 12 reps = Size (Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy)
    13 to 20 reps = Muscular Endurance

The science is irrefutable, if your coach holds a CSCS, he/she knows this and that is why your program is tailored for skating.

Exactly. My point being, yes, 20 reps will help with muscle endurance, but you receive very little hypertrophic effect from 20 reps of any muscle group without a break to recover glycogen, and to allow the lactic acid build up to go down. In other words, It's good for training for a specific condition or sport that has need for high output for long periods, but it's not going to do a heck of a lot for most people who are looking to build muscle strength and/or mass.