I need an oatmeal recipe that tastes good

Options
Juliansmommy09
Juliansmommy09 Posts: 11 Member
i was wondering if anyone knows a low calorie oatmeal recipe that taste great plz

Replies

• MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What is low calorie to you? I make a carrot-cake oatmeal for about 250 kcal per serving. Finely grate a carrot. Mix oats, carrot, cinnamon, water, a splash of milk and sweetener (optional). Let cook for a few minutes till carrots have softened. Take off the heat and add vanilla whey (optional).

In a separate bowl blend equal parts low fat cottage cheese and quark (can sub with greek yoghurt) until smooth. Add sweetener and vanilla essence to taste. Use to top your oatmeal.

You can also add a raw egg white to the oatmeal when you take it off the heat - stir constantly for a minute or so. It'll make the oatmeal more creamy.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    not a sweet person.... oatmeal cooked in stock, towards the end of the cooking throw in there some eggs, chopped vegetables and a dollop of harissa (if you like it spicy).
    That's usually my breakfast.... if you want it low calorie - control how much oats you put i guess?
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    All the oatmeal. "Taste great" is subjective...
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it really depends on what you mean by "low-cal"

For Savory?
    I love cooking 1/3cup old fashion oats with some chopped onion & 1-2 stalks of chopped celery. I just cook it with water and stop once the oats are cooked. (the crunch of the celery & onion flavor is superb! and a must in this dish). I add salt n pepper to this when cooking.

Once finished, I top the oatmeal with 1 over-medium egg (want that soft yolk to go over the oatmeal when you start eating it ... sometimes I add an extra egg white for only 17 more cals to get extra protein), and then on top of the egg I put 1T of bacon bits and 1T of grated parmesan cheese. Seriously ... A-M-A-ZING!!!!

For Sweet?
    I make THIS!!! Soooo so soooo good!
    http://www.runningwithspoons.com/easyrecipe-print/23115-0/

I omit the syrup and add splenda to cut the cals but DEFINITELY add TWO tablespoons of chocolate chips haha

Enjoy girl!! :):)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If it's not something you really like ( which I read as the case when you say you need a recipe that tastes good) why eat it? There are so many other foods to eat....
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some rolled oats; not the quick cook kind. Bob's Red Mill is a good brand.

Experiment with adding a scoop of Whey Blend or Casein based Vanilla Protein Powder for added flavor and a protein macro boost. You can also try adding brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, etc. to taste.

After the oatmeal is finished cooking, add a spoon on Unrefined, Expeller-Pressed, Virgin Coconut Oil, which helps to add a silkiness and slight coconut flavor.
  • hvjc
    hvjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try using old fashioned (large-flake) oats. Cook in microwave, add some very sharp cheddar and a touch of hot sauce - delish! Keeps you full too.

• mlob1
    mlob1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend shared this with me. I use this 2-3 times a week. I don't add an artificial sweetener, but sometimes add 1tsp of honey and a pinch of salt. I like it with slices almonds or a couple Tbsp of the mixed nuts from Costco.

This breakfast will sustain you for 3-5 hours and will nourish your cells and internal structures to keep your mood and blood sugar stable. It will also keep you regular as it's full of fiber and protein. It also includes carbohydrates for energy.

Here's what's in this overnight oatmeal/chia seed pudding.

Make night before OR in morning - allow to sit 20 minutes at room temp before enjoying:

I combine the following in a mason jar, then cover it with almond milk, shake it up, screw on the lid, then eat up (cold) in the morning with no prep! Easy peasy!

3 tbsp (GF) rolled oats (uncooked) (Bob's Red Mill)
    1-2 tbsp chia seeds
    1-2 tbsp ground flax seeds/pumpkin seeds
    1-2 tbsp nuts of choice
    1/2-1 cup fresh or frozen berries
    *(optional 1-2 tbsp slivered raw almonds, 1 tbsp shredded raw coconut, 1/2 dropper liquid vanilla stevia)
  • Juliansmommy09
    Options
    Sounds yummy thank you
    I will try it
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Always add a dash of salt. Oatmeal without salt is like wallpaper paste.
  • Juliansmommy09
    Options
    Thx everyone i will try it
  • Juliansmommy09
    Options
    If it's not something you really like ( which I read as the case when you say you need a recipe that tastes good) why eat it? There are so many other foods to eat....
    Because I think it's healthy lol
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I add peanut butter to mine. It isn't exactly low calorie but 277 isn't bad.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lately I have been making mine with Cajun seasoning and an over easy egg on top. Pepper/Garlic salt is another good combination.

You can also bake it in the oven, this is my favorite recipe: onceuponachef.com/2014/03/amish-style-baked-oatmeal-with-apples-raisins-walnuts.html. This week I made cherry (in season) and walnut oatmeal bake and put Greek yogurt and honey on top. Also made it with blueberries and walnuts which came out great. You can easily cut the brown sugar and butter in half (or more) and substitute almond milk for regular milk to cut the calories.

Try adding a couple drops of vanilla extract when cooking to help with any sweet recipes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in almond milk. I like it with stevia, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice, or with almond butter and jelly (but not so low calorie).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Because I think it's healthy lol

There's plenty of foods that are more healthy, or equally as healthy. Life is too short to eat something you don't really like and there is more to being healthy than what you eat.
  • fleaveeds
    fleaveeds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use flavdrops from my protein.

50g oats
    2 scoops unflavoured whey
    Half a banana
    Few drops of maple syrup flavdrops
    100ml of soya milk

All mixed together, I don't cook it just mix and eat.
  • barbieharper
    barbieharper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a banana nut oatmeal, and I love it. It ends up being 168 calories, 29 carbs, 4 grams fat, 8 grams protein and 8 grams sugar. I only use 1/2 serving of oatmeal because a full serving is too much for me. But if you make a full 1/2 cup serving, it only adds 75 calories. I don't add any sweetener because the banana in it is plenty sweet for me. You can cook it either in the microwave or on the stove top. Here's the recipe.

1/2 C. cold water
    1/4 C. rolled oats (either quick cooking or old fashioned work equally as well)
    1 egg white
    1/2 ripe banana
    1/8 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tbls roasted pecans, chopped

whisk egg white in water to reduce white chunks of egg in your oatmeal. Add oatmeal. Cook according to the directions on the oatmeal box. I usually make mine in the microwave, and for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. I think it ends up creamier if you cook it on the stove top.
    In a separate bowl, mash banana and stir in cinnamon, vanilla and pecans.
    When oats are cooked add to the banana mixture and enjoy.
  • altheawonka
    altheawonka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I put in some peanut butter + chocolate granola & half a banana . Idk the calories but it's got a lot of good stuff in it !
  • anniemink
    anniemink Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Add layers of fruits,oats,peanut butter and yogurt one by one in a glass jar keep it overnight in fridge.
    Enjoy ready breakfast in the morning :)