Cardio vs Strength Training: When to do what?

Options
I've just begun on my Weight Loss Journey, and was curious when I should begin Strength Training. I've seen some people not bother with toning their muscles until they've nearly reached their goal weight, and I've seen others that do it all the while. Does anyone out there have some advice on this? Obviously I've been very sedentary for quite some time, so I'm working my way up... but the idea of steadily using these muscles I haven't used in quite some time and making them stronger is very appealing. I just don't want to discourage myself.

What did YOU do with your workout? What do you find worked for you best? What did you do that you would have done differently?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What I have learned from others here is muscle burns more calories than fat.
    I try to do strength training (kettlebell workout) 3-4 times per week and cardio (C25K) 2-3 times per week.
    Initially I thought strentgh training would be useless until I lost the layer of fat hiding my muscles, but I feel stronger since doing strength training.
  • Jeezy1428
    Jeezy1428 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think you need to just set a routine up for yourself, one day all cardio, one day all strength training, another day a little bit of both. You also have to shake it up a little bit, otherwise your body gets use to what you're doing. So take a few classes like zumba or spin, maybe work out early morning and late at night and you have to push yourself. When you start to feel like you can't you need to reassure yourself you can and just push a little harder, work through the pain because that's when you start to make changes. If you get up the next day and aren't even in the slightest pain then you didn't work hard enough. Working out is more of a mental thing then a physical.
  • purpl3sox
    purpl3sox Posts: 38
    Options
    I would suggest getting started with strength training right away. The thing with building muscle is that it will greatly increase the speed at which you reach your goal weight. Muscle requires many more calories to maintain than fat and when you begin losing weight without exercise, it is not fat that you are losing but muscle. Even if you are just doing body weight strength training I would start right away.

Body weight strength training is something you can do at home and can help you start building up muscles you havent used in a while. Doing movements such as straight arm lifts, leg lifts, squats, push-ups, sit ups, and the like will build your muscles and require no equipment at all. it also boosts your metabolism.

Adding cardio right off the bat is also good. It will help improve your cardio vascular system and it burns calories. It is best to just get started doing something, even if it is not much. Do not do so much that you burn yourself out, but do something every day whether it is going for a walk, doing squats, or anything else active.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    If you're efficient in your strenght training (through supersets alternating opposite body parts), you can should be able to maintain the elevated heartrate throughout the entire working.

I'm doing elite hockey training at the moment, and believe it or not, there is No Cardio component at all in the program. Why? Because I'm doing short bursts of intense training that jack my heart rate up and down through the circuit giving me a constant burn during the workout.

That being said, you need to maintain the intensity of the workout throughout in order to sustain the elevated heartrate. Doing 10 reps of chest press and then sitting around on the bench for 5 minutes before doing another exercise won't work....but if you do 10 reps Chest, then do some rows followed by Squats or such,. the primatry muscles are resting while you're doing the other exercises...not to mention your workouts are that much more efficient.

That being said, it's generally advisiable to do some cardio beforehand to elevate your heartrate into the training zone, and post-strength training cardio helps to flush any lactic acid buildup in the muscles as well.

Keep in mind, you get the same benefits and calorie burn doing 2 bouts of 15 mins as you will doing 1 single bout of 30 mins.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and on this journey and was wondering the same thing. I was looking at books the other day for my Kindle to get "educated" and by accident bought "The Biggest Loser Fitness Program". It was written by the "behind the scenes" people involved with the show with tips from the trainers. It had some "flluff" to it with tips from contestants that are kinda "obvious". But the fitness basics were surprisingly very informative.

Their suggestion is to warm up first (not stretching)...followed by upper body exercises....lower body exercises....core exercises...cool down and then stretching the muscle groups at the end while they are warm. This is done 3 days a week. With cardio being done every day. And they suggested that weight training is done before cardio if you do them at the same session. I would save the cooldown/stretching till after the cardio. The book went through all the exercises (with pics) and then gave 3 different workouts so you don't do same every day and get bored. My biggest question was what size weights to start with. The book suggest something that by 10 of your 12 reps, it's hard. It also went to detail without being boring and explained they "whys" and "hows" of the workout parts and how this way helps burn calories.

While it wasn't what I wanted to buy ...after reading it, I think it gave me some really good information, especially as a beginner with strength training. I didn't think the book would be worth a dollar but in the end I was glad I read it.

I put the workouts on a sheet of paper so that I can hang them on the wall by my treadmill and work them before I do my intervals on the treamill.
  • Chelle_D
    Chelle_D Posts: 33
    Options
    Sound advice, everyone!!! Thanks! :)

What types of strength training exercises have you found work best for each of the muscle groups??
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    lifting weights is awesome, Don't get discouraged when you wake up sore it's normal. Don't be afraid to lift heavy many people stick with 5lb weights with fear that they will bulk but that won't happen or they think that they can't lift more than 5lbs but if you can lift a gallon of milk then you can. If you don't know where to start get yourself some fitness magazines they have routines in there to start up your program. You can do a split workout or you can do full body workouts.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    What did YOU do with your workout? What do you find worked for you best? What did you do that you would have done differently?

I started just by walking. About 4 months into it I was convinced by a friend of mine that I should incorporate weight training. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably do weights and cardio from the very beginning.

Check out a book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you're a novice to weight training like I was then it will help you tremendously (and even if you're not it will still help you).
  • joegeiselman
    joegeiselman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and on this journey and was wondering the same thing. I was looking at books the other day for my Kindle to get "educated" and by accident bought "The Biggest Loser Fitness Program". It was written by the "behind the scenes" people involved with the show with tips from the trainers. It had some "flluff" to it with tips from contestants that are kinda "obvious". But the fitness basics were surprisingly very informative.

Their suggestion is to warm up first (not stretching)...followed by upper body exercises....lower body exercises....core exercises...cool down and then stretching the muscle groups at the end while they are warm. This is done 3 days a week. With cardio being done every day. And they suggested that weight training is done before cardio if you do them at the same session. I would save the cooldown/stretching till after the cardio. The book went through all the exercises (with pics) and then gave 3 different workouts so you don't do same every day and get bored. My biggest question was what size weights to start with. The book suggest something that by 10 of your 12 reps, it's hard. It also went to detail without being boring and explained they "whys" and "hows" of the workout parts and how this way helps burn calories.

While it wasn't what I wanted to buy ...after reading it, I think it gave me some really good information, especially as a beginner with strength training. I didn't think the book would be worth a dollar but in the end I was glad I read it.

I put the workouts on a sheet of paper so that I can hang them on the wall by my treadmill and work them before I do my intervals on the treamill.

this is all great advice. the thing about starting with weight training is you need to gradually work into it. Going immediately into an advanced routine with drop sets or super sets and a bunch of isolation exercies will most likely lead to injury. Find a routine that uses a lot of complex movements. Not only do your muscles need to get used to lifing, but so does your ligaments, joints and central nervous system.

That being said the biggest mistake I see women make is being afraid to move past the cute pink and purple dumbells (5-10 lbs) and doing way too many reps. You want to stay in the 6-12 rep rage and complete a few sets of each exercise. You want to use as much weight as you can manage to where your last couple of reps are very difficult.

That book ShaneT99 suggested is excellent. Also look for one called "Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" or something to that effect.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Also look for one called "Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" or something to that effect.

I have sampled that book and liked it too. Normally I would have started using a 5lb. But I've started with 8lb. It's work and it's hard to finish my reps. Gosh my arms are so wimpy!! But I know that I am working them so that's all that matters! I bowl so I feel "off balance". My right arm is much stronger than my left.