What am I doing wrong?

I'm new to this and my goal is 900 calories a day. I ate 913 but it said I had 813 more calories to go. I understand that it adds the calories burnt onto what you can eat. But I don't want to because I want to loose this weight quickly. Any suggestions on what to eat that will still keep my calories at a minimum and let me post?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    You need to eat more. 900 is not enough for anyone. Even 1200 is pushing it at your age.

Drop the idea of losing quickly and set your goal to a pound a week. And yes, you should be eating at least some of those exercise calories back.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Let you post? Do you mean complete your diary for the day? MFP won't let you complete your diary if you are much under 1200 calories. Also this isn't a place where very low calorie diets can be encouraged. It's against forum rules. Eat a couple tablespoons of peanut butter and an apple and MFP will let you complete your diary. Also you'll be satiated.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    900 calories is not enough.
  • elaineyentz
    elaineyentz Posts: 2 Member
    I've been under 1200 calories a day for months. Not losing very much! I'm getting ready to give up. I'm 65 yes old. Does age matter? Font know why I'm not losing!
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Target for 1200 cals a day. Your body will burn muscle instead of fat if you don't eat enough.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    I totally agree; 900 calories is not enough!! You will end up losing muscle mass (which burns calories) along with the weight and will end up worse off then you are now. It needs to be a life style change, not just a diet to lose weight (although that is the goal).
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    mich_ayla wrote: »
    I'm new to this and my goal is 900 calories a day. I ate 913 but it said I had 813 more calories to go. I understand that it adds the calories burnt onto what you can eat. But I don't want to because I want to loose this weight quickly. Any suggestions on what to eat that will still keep my calories at a minimum and let me post?

How about you try eating properly. Who told you to eat 900 calories? That's just going to cause you issues. Like muscle loss.

Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.

Is your diary open?

Are you getting enough protein? Fat? Vitamins?

Is that you in your avatar profile pic? Doesn't look like you have much to lose.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    A comatose patient burns more than 900 calories a day. OP you're in dangerous eating disorder territory.

Plug your stats into mfp, and follow what calories it gives you. simple :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    900 calories a day lol
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Wait, she said she had 813 left to go. Does that mean she's net 100 after exercise?

Good god, woman. Eat something.
    Plug in your stats, go with what it says. Stop starving yourself. Anorexia is a scary, scary beast you don't want to tangle with. It's not sexy when you start losing your hair and your nails break down to the quick and your skin looks like you're already dead. Because essentially, you are.

Now go eat.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015

Your questions in the thread title is in the first line in your post.

EDITED: I could easily do 900 for a day or so but not ongoing for several reasons. First off I know I'm hurting my body and cutting my hunger back. When I eat less I'm hungry for less... not a good thing when you're aiming for a healthy weight loss and a healthy body and long term success.

I too think it would be extremely difficult to continue on that low of cals without eating some workout cals back. Sometimes we join a group like this and weight loss is the ONLY thing on our mind.. so we try thing to drop it quick. After being on here even just a short time and reading some realize it's not all it's cracked up to be eating very little. One could lose a ton of weight, still be discontented with their bodies and how it performs. A weak body is not a goal but a strong body capable of most anything. It's worth taking your time... it truly is.

Strong mind = strong body!

We're on in a race but in it for life. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    edited May 2015
    I've been under 1200 calories a day for months. Not losing very much! I'm getting ready to give up. I'm 65 yes old. Does age matter? Font know why I'm not losing!

@elaineyentz you begin a thread of your own you'll get more personal attention to your issues you're facing. Post a new thread in the category you're looking to work on and name the thread accordingly. Perhaps not 'why am I not losing' but something along the lines of 'I'm in need of help setting my goals, would someone please help?'

If a thread title is too generic many will go right past it and not click it open.

Best of luck on your thread... :) We'll help you figure it out ;)
  • Christine_72

@elaineyentz you begin a thread of your own you'll get more personal attention to your issues you're facing. Post a new thread in the category you're looking to work on and name the thread accordingly. Perhaps not 'why am I not losing' but something along the lines of 'I'm in need of help setting my goals, would someone please help?'

If a thread title is too generic many will go right past it and not click it open.

Best of luck on your thread... :) We'll help you figure it out ;)

:heart: :heart:

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I really don't get how you can not go insane on 900. I can understand a day or two being low cause your not hungry but week after week, barely eating?

And what is the OP actually eating. Normal food just very little of it or 3kg if celery or something similiar.
  • marchantbrian
    marchantbrian Posts: 4 Member
    I've lost 44 pounds since January following MyFitnessPal's calorie suggestions. I've even changed over from 2 pounds a week to loose to 1.5 pounds to loose now eating 1800 calories a day and still losing fat. Lost over 10 inches total but two of those inches have been since I've begun eating 1800 calories a day. Eating enough calories will fuel your metabolism and burn fat, too little will burn off muscle and put your body in starvation mode, and obviously eating too much calories can cause weight gain. I always go within a 100 calories over the 1800 calories if I have excercised because I've earned it! It doesn't mess up weight loss either.

When I lost weight 10 years ago with nutritional logs in a 3 inch thick notebook it was overwelming. MyFitnessPal makes it simple. If you really get into it try looking at your three macronutirent percentages on the MyFitnessPal app (it's the pie chart under nutrition). I shoot for 45% carbs, 35% protein, and 20% fat to keep muscle while losing fat. It's really working!
  • Christine_72
    I'd be very interested to see if she's correctly weighing/measuring and logging her food...
  • Hearts_2015

@elaineyentz more will likely help you... yes age does matter. Please post your link here if you begin another thread...I'd love to help out but need to know a bit more first. :)

My apologies to the OP for a bit of hi-jacking just wanted to help the newer poster as well.. only 2 posts.. so again I apologize. :)
  • Hearts_2015

You don't look like you have too much to lose, looks like your goal is 25? If you cut it back to a loss of .5 a week and eat enough food... you'll be feeling healthier. You don't have to diet on this site or feel weak..this is a new way of losing weight, no reason to feel you have to diet. Using MFP properly can drop the lbs off easier than if you eat too few cals. Might not make sense to you at first but it really is how it works.

Definitely worth a try...ppl on this thread care about how you're doing sometimes ppl are surprised how little others are trying to eat to lose. You don't have to drop that low to feel good about yourself. :)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    I'd be very interested to see if she's correctly weighing/measuring and logging her food...

I agree!

OP, are you using a food scale for all solids?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Stop trying to lose weight at an insanely fast rate