Article: Adult Picky Eaters Now Recognized as Having a Disor

Options
Adult Picky Eaters Now Recognized as Having a Disorder
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101129/sc_livescience/adultpickyeatersnowrecognizedashavingadisorder

I'm definitely not a picky eater, but I found this interesting, so I thought I'd share.

The first few paragraphs of the article:
He's 63 years old, but Bob Krause admits he still eats "a 4-year-old's dream diet."

Krause likes peanut butter, crackers, grilled cheese sandwiches, chocolate milk and little else. More adventurous meals look like "a plate of barf," he told LiveScience.

"If I could snap my fingers and change, I would," he said, explaining his pickiness helped ruin two marriages, limited his career options and makes most social occasions sources of stress.

Researchers think Krause could be one of thousands suffering from a previously unrecognized illness: selective eating disorder, more commonly known as very picky eating. Instead of having a couple foods they'd rather avoid, the way most of us do, people with selective eating disorder feel there are very few foods they are even capable of eating.

"People who are picky aren't doing this just to be stubborn," said eating researcher Nancy Zucker of Duke University, explaining that extremely picky eaters experience food differently than the rest of us.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    i saw a tv show on this. the lady only ate french fries. Ever. Since she was like 7 years old. couldn't even do like a baked potato. Hard to believe, but lots of mental disorders seem bizarre...
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    thanks for the post- I have a brother who is also very very picky and sent this on for him to look at. I hope that if it is now considered a disorder they will be able to come up with an effective treatment.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    that pretty much explains my 5 year old son.
  • lcarr417
    lcarr417 Posts: 16
    Options
    thats me! i finally don't feel like i'm just crazy. I physically can't get myself to eat new things. I feel sick eating certain textures and most meat is just to chewy and i have to fight back the gag reflex.

THANKS for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am assuming picky eating is a psychological problem, as in the person believes they will gag/get sick if they try a new food, as opposed to someone just not wanting to try something. It makes sense it is all in the head just like any eating disorder.
  • NurdyNurse
    NurdyNurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! It is horrible and embarrassing. But it is who I am... Glad to know I am not alone!! ~patty