Input on Activity Trackers

Options
keekee66
keekee66 Posts: 15 Member
I'm in the market again for a new all day activity tracker. I've been using my Bodymedia Fit Link armband for about 4 years now and have absolutely loved it. I've literally never had a single problem and have used it every single day. Needless to say I am so sad they have gone out of business.

I am now looking to buy a new all day activity tracker again. My most important criteria is fairly accurate calorie tracking (as accurate as I can get) and that it is able to sync with MFP for food input. I was all set to get the Jawbone UP3 as they bought out Bodymedia but after reading all the comments about the band breaking literally after just a couple months that scares me, especially coming from a product I've never had an issue with durability.

These are the choices I've narrowed it down too. Please give me input if you have experience with any of these (or others) you've really liked or disliked!

Fitbit Charge HR, Garmin Vivosmart, Garmin Vivofit2, Jawbone Up3, Runtastic Orbit

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia has not gone out of business. They've just been bought out by Jawbone. If you still have your Link, it will still function. If you buy a new one, or find one used on Ebay, you can still get a subscription.

That being said, I currently am test driving the Up3, and I can tell you without hesitation, do not buy it. It's a piece of crap. It contains similar sensors to the BodyMedia Fit, but the sensors are not currently turned on. That supposedly will come with some future update, but Jawbone does not have a great track record for timeliness, so I'm not counting on it. I will be sending it back if they don't do the update within the next 3 weeks.

Nothing else out there will have the accuracy of BodyMedia.
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit for about 5 months and the band broke after 3 months. You can buy a new one, but the don't seem to lastvery long. Now, the fitbit recently started to play up and stop charging and I cannot use it at all! I'd stay away from fitbits if I was you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    fujiko wrote: »
    I've had a fitbit for about 5 months and the band broke after 3 months. You can buy a new one, but the don't seem to lastvery long.

Fitbit customer service will replace a broken band—even a broken tracker.

I recently upgraded from Fitbit Flex to Charge HR, and I'd gladly recommend it to anyone. I had a Jawbone UP24 (not UP3), and their customer service is horrible. I saw a post here in the MFP forum that there's a class action suit against them.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I just got my vivosmart 2. I chose it bc there were issues of people losing their vivofit bc of band clasp. Abd vivosmart has no back light. No sleep tracker. No vibration alerts to move. And some syncing problems. However the band on vivo2 has a lock mechanism and if not locked properly will come off.

I bought mine with a bundle so I could use the chest strap hrm. It synced flawlessly. When bought as a bundle it is automatically in the tracker wgen bought separately you have to pair it.

it is not compatible with android which I am lucky my hubby has iPhone to turn it on from the start. It was a bit tricky but from then on no problems.

I bought mine on amazon for 129.99 as a bundle.

it also still tracks steps while ysing a stroller or cart.

it is water proof not water resistant like a fitbit. So you can swim deep with it. It can be used to track miles while cycling too! It tracks distance while the polar loop does not. It does not have a altimeter so it does not track stairs. Neitger does the loop.

The only thing I found that supposedly has the accuracy is the fitbitzip pedometer or the fitbit one and it is bc it can go on your foot. Well so can vivofit! It can be tucked in your sock out of the band:) so those were my points for getting the vivofit2 ans so far so happy:)
  • keekee66
    Options
    Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it! I know Jawbone bought out Bodymedia, so to me Bodymedia went out of business because Jawbone is not even similar to them. I am still using my Fit Link but its nearing its last leg so thats why I'm doing some research before it officially doesn't work anymore.

I now seem to be down to Fitbit Charge HR or Garmin Vivosmart.
    Lol I just wish the FB Charge HR was waterproof then I'd be sold as I prefer the fitbit syncing but do like the waterproof. My friend has the charge and the band is much better than the previous ones.
  • brownieUK7
    brownieUK7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the vivosmart and it is a great bit of kit. Easy to use, very accurate for steps and I can get notifications from my phone on it too

Only downside I've seen so far is that the distance it tracks when I run is further than I know the actual distance was. Which messes up my calories burned stats on running days.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    keekee66 wrote: »
    I just wish the FB Charge HR was waterproof then I'd be sold as I prefer the fitbit syncing but do like the waterproof. My friend has the charge and the band is much better than the previous ones.

The Fitbit Charge HR & Charge are two separate models. Charge HR has a secure buckle (like a watch) plus a heart rate monitor.

Perhaps it was just a typo, but I'd hate to see you get the wrong one by mistake—so I thought I'd mention it.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm awaiting delivery today of a Withings Pulse Ox (c'mon Amazonnnnnnn!), which I chose because it will integrate with my scales, BP monitor and MFP. More importantly, for me, I won't have to wear it on my wrist - when I used the Jawbone UP it registered as steps when I drove my car because I use hand controls for breaking and accelerating as well as steering.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    More importantly, for me, I won't have to wear it on my wrist - when I used the Jawbone UP it registered as steps when I drove my car because I use hand controls for breaking and accelerating as well as steering.

I have two activity tracker bands, and I don't overthink the accuracy of my step count. It's only a metric. Yes, I get extra "steps," but I also miss steps sometimes—for example, pushing a shopping cart.

All that matters to me is the accuracy of my burn. I lost the weight and have maintained for almost 11 months. Can't get much more accurate than that.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The steps are important for me, not as part of a weight loss programme but as part of my physiotherapy. Sorry for confusion :-)
  • keekee66
    Options
    So today I decided on and bought the Fitbit Charge HR :) For the next week I'm going to wear both my Bodymedia Fit Link and my new Fitbit Charge HR just to compare. I've come to learn the Fit Link well so I'm curious how close or over/under the fitbit will be. A new toy is always exciting haha.
    I've been wearing the Fit Link on my arm for almost 3 years now (only take off for shower/swimming) that I actually forget it's there. I'm hoping the same will happen with the fitbit bc it feels a little awkward right now. I had it too tight for a couple hours but now I've loosened it and it seems a little more comfortable. So can wait to see my data and work to beat some goals. I do like the social/friends component of fitbit which Bodymedia did lack.
  • SarahMaxx
    SarahMaxx Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    My BodyMedia Core unit is still working fine but the armband it goes into broke a few months back, and I was not able to get a replacement because my unit was a few months beyond the warranty. (BodyMedia is selling replacements only to those who are still under warranty, as the Core is being discontinued, I guess.) I was able to order a small armband from a vendor called Dotfit, but it was too small and it quickly broke, too.

So now I'm also considering the Fitbit Charge HR and am looking forward to seeing your results. From what I've read, the accuracy of BodyMedia is hard to equal--and I'll have to admit that change is something I do not do well. :smile: I started 5 years ago with a Bodybugg V2 and moved to BodyMedia when that one gave up the ghost. Now that wristbands are overtaking armbands, I'm facing an inevitable change. While most people complained about the armband, I--like you--got so used to it, it was part of my arm.
  • bslim4me
    bslim4me Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    keekee66 ~ how did you like the Fitbit Charge HR? I looking at buying one. Please let us know. Thanks:)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    bslim4me wrote: »
    keekee66 ~ how did you like the Fitbit Charge HR? I looking at buying one. Please let us know.

I upgraded from Flex to Charge HR because it has a secure buckle (like a watch) rather than a clasp, and it has a heart rate monitor. But it's huge, and gave me a tan line.

If you're not 100% sure, buy it at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP Move, which is their simplest/cheapest tracker. I really love the app, and I've had no issues with the device itself, and it links up with MFP pretty seamlessly. So I'm in the UP3 camp just because I've enjoyed my Jawbone product a lot in the weeks I've had it.