Found out today how to burn more calories while walking.

br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
Simg]http://i.imgur.com/NigzTVM.jpg[/img] I was walking today like I normally do and found an old golf ball. I dropped it so had to bend over to pick it up. After that something clicked so I started throwing it 5 or 10 feet having to walk in the ditch to pick it back up. Bending down burnes a few calories and you're focusing on the ball so the walk goes by more pleasant. I usually walk that route in 25-30 mins and it took 43 mins today. Next time you walk try it out ;) you can use any ball or anything really.

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Great idea.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    So basically, you played fetch with yourself?
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hi fellow Imgurian (im a lurker). Glad you found a way to burn a few extra cals.

>°-°< (mobile cat tax, since I can't use android emoji cat on here)
  • Nati1787
    Nati1787 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    "DopeItUp", you are hilarious! =)
  • Saryia
    Saryia Posts: 38 Member
    You can also carry weights in a backpack, or some hand weights. I play fetch while walking, as well...but my dog is usually there to go fetch it for me :/
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I wear a Fitbit and when I first started wearing it I would find ways to get extra steps from doing normal tasks. So that idea is right in line with increasing the activity in our lives.

Nothing wrong with playing fetch with yourself, I have some of my better workouts alone :)
  • Nati1787
    Nati1787 Posts: 3 Member
    br3adman - how would you track the calorie burn with that?? Good idea... =)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Sounds like me playing golf.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    br3adman wrote: »
    Next time you walk try it out ;) you can use any ball or anything really.

Don't use a boomerang. B)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Good because the reality is that walking is not particularly good for getting fit. Great to get over being sedentary, but you need to get your heart rate up to get fitness benefits.
  • br3adman
    Nati1787 wrote: »
    br3adman - how would you track the calorie burn with that?? Good idea... =)

I used a calorie calculator for "touching toes" its close enough I guess lol.
  • br3adman
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    So basically, you played fetch with yourself?

Basically yes haha
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    It's so hilly where I live that if I dropped a golf ball, I'd spend the next 15 minutes running all the way down to the beach after it. :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Good because the reality is that walking is not particularly good for getting fit. Great to get over being sedentary, but you need to get your heart rate up to get fitness benefits.

You must a) walk slowly or b) live in a flat part of the world. :)

My walks always incorporate a steep climb. They have to. I can't get where I'm going without some sort of climbing.

Which, incidentally, comes back to the topic of this thread ... if you want to burn more calories while walking:

a) walk as briskly as you can
    b) walk up hill or up stairs as part of your walk

Most of the time I also carry a heavy backpack, as Saryia suggested.

I'm up to 400 km so far this year. :smiley:

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I'm guessing you crossfit...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Lateral walking (side shuffling) will also work glutes and hips. Do it sporatically on both sides for like 20 feet or so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lateral walking (side shuffling) will also work glutes and hips. Do it sporatically on both sides for like 20 feet or so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think the people driving down the street would look at me weird. :worried:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think the people driving down the street would look at me weird. :worried:

yup!! My neighbours already think I'm weird doing umpteen laps up and around my street all day everyday. I ain't shuffling, let a lone throwing a ball for myself to fetch :laugh:

• mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm saddened to see someone saying walking is not good exercise. It's great exercise!! I walk at a 3.5 mph rate on a very varied route at home or on an uphill on the treadmill. It does not burn calories as quickly as running. But, it vastly improved my cardio fitness. I aim to maintain my pace and worked to be able to that without my heart rate going above 150. Now it averages 140! Exercise is exercise!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Aww. I thought for sure that you discovered prancercise.