Found out today how to burn more calories while walking.

2

Replies

  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 387 Member
    mccanns725 wrote: »
    I'm saddened to see someone saying walking is not good exercise. It's great exercise!! I walk at a 3.5 mph rate on a very varied route at home or on an uphill on the treadmill. It does not burn calories as quickly as running. But, it vastly improved my cardio fitness. I aim to maintain my pace and worked to be able to that without my heart rate going above 150. Now it averages 140! Exercise is exercise!

    I am with you mccanns, walking is sometimes the only exercise someone can do, whether it be for physical reasons or monetary. For someone to say that you can't get fit by walking is crazy, I have personally done it as have many, many people on this site. Keep on walkin! :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,582 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Sounds like me playing golf.

    LMAO!

  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 835 Member
    Good because the reality is that walking is not particularly good for getting fit.

    That is just nonsense. Walking is a great exercise and yes you can raise your HR while walking as there;s these big bumps called hills
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    I have found walking to be an extremely good alternative to my "normal" workouts. And in fact, I have been combining that with mowing my 2 acres with a push mower instead of my normal workouts on the elliptical and it's been very successful for me so far. I typically walk about 4 miles on days when I don't mow, but on days when I do mow, such as today, I typically get in about 16,000 steps from just mowing which takes me about 2 hours of straight mowing and burns (according to my Fitbit Charge HR) about 1500 calories!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Good because the reality is that walking is not particularly good for getting fit. Great to get over being sedentary, but you need to get your heart rate up to get fitness benefits.

    Umm.... BS. Walking is very beneficial. My heart rate gets up just fine via walking at a 14:30 pace.. up hills. You can get as much of out of walking as you want.

  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Good because the reality is that walking is not particularly good for getting fit. Great to get over being sedentary, but you need to get your heart rate up to get fitness benefits.

    I disagree with you totally. After I miscarried in 2009 I turned to eating and gained a lot of weight, over 3 stone. Then I got a job working in a catalogue company located right beside the train station. I would walk to the furthest train station every day with my husband, which took 40 mins, see him off and then walk to the other train station five minutes away to catch my own. Once at the train station I would take the stairs and go to work. Then after work, walk downstairs to the train station, get the train, wait for my husband and walk back. We did this hail, rain, snow or sunshine and I lost all the weight I gained and then some. Swinging your arms actually increases the number of calories burned and increases the cardio too.
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Yea I agree completely. I find it very easy to keep my HR in fat burn or even push it to cardio when I want to by just walking. cua9ucoqqkx8.jpg
    hr.jpg 114.9K
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,412 Member
    Good because the reality is that walking is not particularly good for getting fit. Great to get over being sedentary, but you need to get your heart rate up to get fitness benefits.

    I completely disagree. I started out in early March 50 pounds overweight and unable to run 100 yards without gasping for breath.

    I bought a Fitbit, started walking and two months later I was able to RUN my first 5k. I went with the intention of walking it, but my friend talked me into running it. I had done no running in the two months prior, only walking.

    Since then I've run at least 5k every other day and Monday I completed another 5k in 31 minutes. I would not have been to do that if walking was not a good exercise for getting fit.
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Should have posted this pic - even a better view....

    5eb98j9pnbre.jpg
    hr2.jpg 106.7K
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,582 Member
    mkwrose wrote: »
    mccanns725 wrote: »
    I'm saddened to see someone saying walking is not good exercise. It's great exercise!! I walk at a 3.5 mph rate on a very varied route at home or on an uphill on the treadmill. It does not burn calories as quickly as running. But, it vastly improved my cardio fitness. I aim to maintain my pace and worked to be able to that without my heart rate going above 150. Now it averages 140! Exercise is exercise!

    I am with you mccanns, walking is sometimes the only exercise someone can do, whether it be for physical reasons or monetary. For someone to say that you can't get fit by walking is crazy, I have personally done it as have many, many people on this site. Keep on walkin! :)

    Yup, I'm a walker. Really bad knees prevent me from running. So I walk 8 to 10 miles a day. Every day. I have lost over 30 lbs in 3 1/2 months, am 60, post menopausal with a messed up thyroid (Hashimoto's). If it wasn't for the walking I would have a *very* hard time losing weight because I'd pretty much have to starve myself to compensate for these factors that are conspiring against me.

    So although I get that walking may not be *the best* cardio workout on the planet, for some of us the option is either walk or just sit on the couch getting more obese by the day. ;)

  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Wouldn't you burn fewer calories/minute by stopping to pick up the ball?

    If it motivates you to go further/hate exercise less, go for it, but don't kid yourself that you're burning way more calories. If you want to burn more calories, exercise for longer, raise the intensity (speed or increase the weight you're carrying), or go a longer distance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    how does this burn more calories?

  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,412 Member
    OP, I think it's great you're trying to burn more calories, but I wonder if you'd be better off just walking farther , rather than taking longer to walk the same distance because your using the ball.
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Good because the reality is that walking is not particularly good for getting fit. Great to get over being sedentary, but you need to get your heart rate up to get fitness benefits.

    My weight loss and fitness is all through walking. I walk a minimum of five miles per day. Two weekends ago, I walked a half marathon and won ahead of over 500 other people.

    Now tell me again about walking not being good for getting fit.

    17256326.png
  • dexterfan73
    dexterfan73 Posts: 1 Member
    I have been using MFP for 2 years now. Didn't use it much for awhile but these past 6 months I have been very dedicated and have lost 41 lbs! I tracked my calories and WALKED! I walk 4 miles a day about 5-6 days a week at about 3.5 mph. I have never been this fit and healthy in my life and I am 41 years old. So walking has definitely worked for me to get fit!!

  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 387 Member
    mkwrose wrote: »
    mccanns725 wrote: »
    I'm saddened to see someone saying walking is not good exercise. It's great exercise!! I walk at a 3.5 mph rate on a very varied route at home or on an uphill on the treadmill. It does not burn calories as quickly as running. But, it vastly improved my cardio fitness. I aim to maintain my pace and worked to be able to that without my heart rate going above 150. Now it averages 140! Exercise is exercise!

    I am with you mccanns, walking is sometimes the only exercise someone can do, whether it be for physical reasons or monetary. For someone to say that you can't get fit by walking is crazy, I have personally done it as have many, many people on this site. Keep on walkin! :)

    Yup, I'm a walker. Really bad knees prevent me from running. So I walk 8 to 10 miles a day. Every day. I have lost over 30 lbs in 3 1/2 months, am 60, post menopausal with a messed up thyroid (Hashimoto's). If it wasn't for the walking I would have a *very* hard time losing weight because I'd pretty much have to starve myself to compensate for these factors that are conspiring against me.

    So although I get that walking may not be *the best* cardio workout on the planet, for some of us the option is either walk or just sit on the couch getting more obese by the day. ;)

    I also have Hashimoto's, sore knees, and bad ankles. If we can lose weight by walking, anyone can! You just have to get out there and put one foot in front of the other. Congratulations on your lose snickers!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lateral walking (side shuffling) will also work glutes and hips. Do it sporatically on both sides for like 20 feet or so.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Thanks for the tip. This could be an excellent way to break up a long walk.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I find it very easy to keep my HR in fat burn or even push it to cardio when I want to by just walking.

    You might want to Google "fat burn zone myth". ;)

  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 180 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Sounds like me playing golf.
    Yup
  • Megeffer
    Megeffer Posts: 48 Member
    Aww. I thought for sure that you discovered prancercise.

    This ^