Is it really just calories in vs calories out?

Options
Happy Monday All!

I have a questions re: Calories in/Calories out.

I have pretty much been watching my food intake for about two weeks. I have lost roughly 5 pounds which seems to be on point. The first two weeks I was just mainly paying attention to my food, no exercise. Last week I started at the gym and have gone everyday since, doing atleast 30 minutes of cardio, sometimes I go twice a day. I also just begain a bit of strength training last week for legs and arms. So I guess I am pretty much on point for anticipated weight loss.

I was going over my food diary with a friend, who is also a formal personal trainer, and he basically said that i should be eating less carbs, less sodium, etc etc

Now I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have not really been paying attention to anything other than calories. I changed by Food Settings to 40/30/30, but he said that is still way too much fat consumption for someone trying to lose weight.

Please help!

Replies

• young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I would like to monitor the other items...for the "healthier" aspect of it. BUT...I really have been only watching calories (and I try to limit my sodium, especially a couple days before I weigh it). I am over almost everyday on carbs/fat/protein, but always under on my calories. I have lost 54 pounds in 8 months.

I am not saying this is the best way to do it. I would like to do better at having a better/healthier balance. But I'm just saying, it is doable without it.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I was going over my food diary with a friend, who is also a formal personal trainer, and he basically said that i should be eating less carbs, less sodium, etc etc
    Perhaps he feels you need more protein and less sugars?
    I changed by Food Settings to 40/30/30, but he said that is still way too much fat consumption for someone trying to lose weight.
    Eating too much fat won't stop you losing weight. You've already proved that.

What it might do is end up with your having inadequate carbs and protein and the sort of fruits and veg that fill you up and provide nutrients.

But don't get hung up on the details, you don't have to have a perfect diet - don't lose sight of the fact that you've made huge improvements already. Just take it one step at a time, you have the rest of your life to get this right. :smile:
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I would recommend you simplify it for yourself while its working. Calories in vs calories out.

If, in the future, you stop losing, that might be the time to look a bit more closely at other things. At least that's what I'd do!!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Typically calories are what count the most for weight loss. As far as health, however, other factors are to be considered. My ratio is carbs 45, protein 30, and fat 25.
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Psh, you're just starting. Take it slow and don't bother with details like that until you have a handle on staying at your calorie limit and getting exercise into your schedule. Remember, babysteps! Gradually you will start to pay more attention to your food and where your calories are coming from, if you want to eventually follow his advice then great for you, but don't get stressed out in the details now. Take it slow and you'll make it to your goal :)
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories in/out but where that weight comes from matters (fat vs. muscle). By eating a well balanced diet and losing in a healthy (read: MAX 2lbs/week) fashion - you are increasing the likelihood of fat loss instead of muscle loss. 40/30/30 (assuming carbs/protein/fat) is a solid # IMHO. Lessening sodium really does make a difference though - try it!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs trying to stay within the limits MFP sets for me- but most days I really wind up over on carbs/sugar/fiber/protein and under on fat.

I think to lose weight that calories are the most important factors but others do matter.

BTW- not all fat is evil- some of it is healthy and necessary.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I like jennywren's advice above. You're just starting - keep it simple for a while.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to anything except calories. I have friends that swear by low carb, high protein, etc. but when you consider everyone's body processes things differently, it's not a one size fits all plan. Do what works for you until you run into a snag and then examine it more and try to "mix it up" so to speak.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking it is calories in vs. calories out. If you ate 1200 calories of fast food a day you'd still lose weight, but you would likely have a myriad of other health issues come up. You would also probably not feel very well. I focus on calories and sodium.
  • need2lose31
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah your right - I should just keep it simple for now, after all - Im not gaining ;)
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last statement. As you see your weight fall off you naturally will start to make better choices anyway. As someone who now works out, i doubt you are scarfing down tons of junk after a vigourous workout. If you are still enjoying some of the thing you like and still losing i would not worry. Its a trainers job to tell u to eat clean, we all should eat clean, but hey, if it were only that easy. I have a jillian micheals article on this and she says of course eat clean but focus on calories. here theory is that you can lose weight by cutting calories but when you get down to the last 10-15 that is where it really gets strict because this is vanity weight. When you get down to vanity weight its the hardest weight to drop. At that point everything is analyzed and cut out...sodium, alcohol, sugar..but this is when you are towards the end of your journey...for now keep up what your doing...when you see a plateau, then make changes.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Check out the link in my signature and you will find successful weight loss from people whose daily intake of fat (healthy fats) ranges from 50% to 70%. It isn't the fat that is making us fat. It's the carbs and sugars (mainly grain carbs, processed carbs, and refined sugars).

Carbs drive insulin and insulin drives fat storage.

I spent 6 months losing 10lbs. Since I started eating Primal 3 weeks ago (I cut out all grains and sugars except sugar from fruit; dairy is optional but does cause an insulin spike) I have dropped 4.6lbs of pure body fat. My muscle mass is intact.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you simplify it for yourself while its working. Calories in vs calories out.

If, in the future, you stop losing, that might be the time to look a bit more closely at other things. At least that's what I'd do!!

I agree. I've tried to respect the other categories more or less, but I don't really worry if I go over in carbs or whatever. I try to balance what I eat and get a reasonable amount of exercise.

Just so you're aware, the calories in/calories out method was what I was doing for the first 2-3 months of my weight-loss (along with walking about 15 minutes a day--starting slow, then picking up speed as I felt up to it) and I dropped a lot of weight in safe increments. Now that I'm almost to my goal, I've noticed myself paying more careful attention to the other columns (and even personalized some of them) so that when I get to the maintenance stage, getting enough fiber and keeping my sodium down is as important as controlling my calorie intake. I also exercise more now, because I feel so much more energetic that I just *can't* stay at my desk all day any more. And I exercise twice a day, sometimes more (although there are days I don't even go for a walk) most days now.

Don't try and make it more complicated than it needs to be. I'm trying to keep it simple so I'll keep it up, you know? :glasses:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday All!

I have a questions re: Calories in/Calories out.

I have pretty much been watching my food intake for about two weeks. I have lost roughly 5 pounds which seems to be on point. The first two weeks I was just mainly paying attention to my food, no exercise. Last week I started at the gym and have gone everyday since, doing atleast 30 minutes of cardio, sometimes I go twice a day. I also just begain a bit of strength training last week for legs and arms. So I guess I am pretty much on point for anticipated weight loss.

Now I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have not really been paying attention to anything other than calories. I changed by Food Settings to 40/30/30, but he said that is still way too much fat consumption for someone trying to lose weight.

Please help!

Well, your friend is a trainer, not a nutritionist nor a dietician. So take his. advice on exercise and exercise only. His nutritional advice is about as sound as ours. :laugh:

At the most basic level, yes, it's calories in vs. calories out. To improve your health, you obviously have to give some consideration to what comprises your calories.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, yes, it’s calories in vs calories out. But for lifestyle change and maximum results it’s is much bigger. There is a recommended “make up” of the daily calories we should be eating. Certain “calories” are better for you and may help maximize the results of your workouts. For example just looking at the two your personal trainer friend mentioned. Sodium causes water retention which may just prevent that scale from going anywhere. On top of that, high blood pressure, interrupting blood flow to your extremities. And fat (the bad kind) can not only cause all those random diseases you hear so often on the radio, but even more basic, may prevent your results from showing. We all know a pound of fat will appear larger than a pound of muscle, so those inches we like to see go or that muscle definition we may be looking for may be harder to attain.

Review some articles on the recommended daily amounts for all categories (carbs, fiber, sodium, fat, protein etc) and go on and ensure your percentages are right. You can adjust any of those in MFP. I have high blood pressure, so after calculating what I need for weight loss I went in and drastically lowered my sodium intake. Some days I am over, but at least I am easily able to identify when/where/how because I set it up just the one time.

Looking at all the other categories is definitely a more effective route, but to NOT do so won’t totally harm your efforts.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    Psh, you're just starting. Take it slow and don't bother with details like that until you have a handle on staying at your calorie limit and getting exercise into your schedule. Remember, babysteps! Gradually you will start to pay more attention to your food and where your calories are coming from, if you want to eventually follow his advice then great for you, but don't get stressed out in the details now. Take it slow and you'll make it to your goal :)

^This exactly!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For all intents and purposes, yes, it's all about calories. If you're interested in the details, google "The Energy Balance Equation".
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You got the calories in calories out part, and that works. Do that for sure! As you go, try to make better healthier choices and pay attention to the nutrition. Make small changes where you can, choice by choice, and you will naturally start to eat more healthy. Yes nutrition does matter and so does being healthy. So step by step you are getting there. Keep at the calorie goal, keep at the exercise, begin to find healthy choices when you can. Start reading the grocery store packages and get things with lower sugar and sodium, lower fat. Look for leaner meats. Limit manufactured processed foods. These are the things you can do over time as you go and get better at it.

So WTG on success! And keep up trying to better the diet!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking it is calories in vs. calories out. If you ate 1200 calories of fast food a day you'd still lose weight, but you would likely have a myriad of other health issues come up. You would also probably not feel very well. I focus on calories and sodium.

Same here!
    In order of importance to my health plan - I watch calories first, sodium second, carbs third, fat & cholesterol tie for fourth!