Quick Protein Fix

Options
dayabout
dayabout Posts: 2 Member
I've been a Vegetarian for 16 years and due to recent stomach issues I've given up legumes/nuts (temporarily) and my vitamins. I am going through a bit of a deficiency. Aside from protein shakes, what are other quick protein foods you go to?

Replies

• LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Protein Bites!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hb eggs....dairy....

If you want more nutrients, consider making smoothies with your protein powder and vegies/fruit?
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    eggs
    powder protein
    greek yogurt
    Lifetime Cheese
    Quest Bars & Chips
    Tofu
    Tempeh
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Can you eat chia seeds? Quinoa? I have stomach issues too, and I find that I can tolerate brown rice protein. It doesn't taste great, but I mix it into some unsweetened applesauce and that helps. It has about 16 grams of protein per serving.
  • dayabout
    dayabout Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do have lactose intolerance so dairy is difficult to process. Legumes/nuts irritate my stomach and increases my acid reflux. I've been eating hard boiled eggs and mixing protein powder with fruit. I love the other suggestions (protein bites, quest bars, chia seeds, quinoa, brown rice protein). You guys are awesome, thanks!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're having stomach issues, I'd probably give the quest bars a miss. Plenty of people have issues with the fibre in them...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Also broccoli, kale, tofu.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with lactose intolerance and acid reflux as well in the past. I found that I can handle yogurt just fine, because the probiotics break down the lactose and make it easier to digest. It has a decent amount of protein in it too! The probiotics have also helped settle down my acid reflux problem so I no longer have to take a daily acid reducer.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you can handle yogurt, greek yogurt has a lot more protein than regular. And, you mix protein powder into it
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't eat land meat, but do eat eggs and seafood/fish so most of my protein comes from:

Eggs (if you eat them) - 8 grams per large egg

Seafood / fish and salmon jerky! (I don't know if you do seafood/fish)

Other non fish / egg options:

Veggie hotdogs- each one has 7 grams of protein and only 50 calories

greek yogurt or icelandic yogurt- 11 - 16 grams protein per container

Protein Bars- I like the Pure protein ones at 31 grams each, I just fit the calories/carbs into my day

Cheese - string cheese is 7-8 protein