Cream of Wheat vs Rolled Oats

Options
SlimSumday
SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
After trying many variations of low fat breakfasts with rolled oats, I am starting to think that I should go out and buy a box of Cream of Wheat. Which do you prefer?

Replies

• doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I. Love. Oats.

But if you don't like oats, you don't have to eat it! Try out semolina and see if that tickle your fancy.
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find Cream of Wheat a little bland, because I like chewy bits in my hot cereal. Have you tried steel cut oats? Or Red River cereal?
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Personally I like both, but Cream of Wheat is my favorite. I make it with water, but add a little almond milk to make it just a bit creamier. And if your like me it always has some lumps for texture, LOL.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Oh there is also Wheatena, which is not as popular, but that is made from wheat, its higher fiber and has more texture. My mom used to make it for us when we were kids, I haven't had it in forever, but still like it a lot.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Malt-O-Meal - my personal favorite and very distinct taste.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try Ralston - by far my favorite hot cereal. Ralston is a coarser wheat than cream of wheat and in a more whole form (less processed). It can be a little difficult to find...

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/H4148?gdftrk=gdfV21961_a_7c336_a_7c4822_a_7cH4148_d_101942&searchid=7SPFGPLA&feedid=googlenonbrand&adpos=1o1&creative=60642848538&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIjI_evl5MUCFcOJaQodD0AAQg
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can also add protein powder and raisins to the Cream of Wheat...really really tasty, quick, and filling...at least for a little bit. I bet if you added a fat to it (coconut oil?) it would be more filling. Steel Cut oats are really great as well, filling. I recently discovered overnight oats...look up the recipes online...healthy and if made with Greek yogurt or protein powder, has protein. You can add raisins, berries, bananas, frozen berries, chocolate chips, dry coconut... takes 5 mins to make. My current favorite!
  • 50ShadesOfAwkward
    50ShadesOfAwkward Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like hot rice cereal. Apparently, this is a thing people don't eat any more, but it's good. I like rolled oat, never been into steal cut, but I can't have cream of wheat. You can do similar style breakfasts with millet and quinoa though!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big cream of wheat fan and I'm totally onboard for overnight oats, but if you don't like oats you can also try grits. I had them for breakfast today. I like the quick cooking (not instant) grits. This morning I made mine with 1/4 cup grits (they get super big when you cook them), 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, salt, and a tbsp of butter. 295 calories.

I also like to leave out the butter and put an ounce of havarti cheese in them so they get melty and delicious or if you like sweeter stuff in the morning you could drizzle honey on top.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I love Cream of Wheat, it reminds me of my mom. It has less fiber, but more iron. No reason you couldn't eat it! :) I've been "baking" my oatmeal lately, adding 2 servings of egg whites, Truvia and cinnamon, and cooking in the microwave for 2 minutes. I've also added pumpkin and pumpkin spice.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Malt o Meal.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oat bran is good, too. A little more savory than Cream of Wheat but it has a similar texture and more fiber.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Malt-O-Meal - my personal favorite and very distinct taste.

Ok now I'm curious...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Cream of Wheat, and I can understand why it got that name - here it's called just semolina.

Oatmeal is delicious too. And millet, and polenta, and tapioca :)

Lowfat, not exactly - I need some fat with those carbs - half and half milk and water, and served with a lump of butter. I used to not be able to eat porridge without sugar, but my tastebuds have accomodated to my new diet. I guess you could add just about anything, but for now I am content with just enjoying the real flavors of "natural" foods.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Quaker's Farina Cream of Wheat and loved every bit of it - it wasn't actually until more recently that I began trying oatmeal, so I'm kind of in a reverse situation. Since you're more used to oatmeal it will certainly take some getting used to the different texture (don't think of it as oatmeal, it's really it's own thing!), but I love the stuff. If you stir it consistently it will be creamy, if you stir it and let it sit before stirring again, it will get lumpy. Some people prefer the lumps, others hate them; my brothers despise them but I kind of enjoy them.
    I would recommend starting off trying a flavored version just to introduce yourself to them - Quaker has instant packets that are Cinnabon flavored and they are spectacular!
    Great source of calcium, but ignore the iron content (it's high, but since it has calcium you won't really absorb the iron as much)
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    cant find cream of wheat in Australia

If anyone knows let me know
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'll message you about it Sydking. I have some.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Malt o Meal.

I've only seen their cold cereals. I just looked them up and saw they have chocolate hot wheat cereal. Mmmmm.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats or grits
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I love cream of wheat with some Old Tyme no sugar added maple syrup. deeeeeelish