Losing fat without counting calories

Options
I can't seem to stick to calorie counting. Could you suggest some ways to lose fat without having to count calories?

I get really stressed with it when I do count which results in over eating.

Thanks!

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I feel stressed out about counting my Macros
    I take a couple days off sometimes a week, I just portion
    control and I make sure I have protein/carbs/healthy fats
    with every meal. I usually maintain when I do this. But it's always
    helped me jump back into it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to stick to calorie counting. Could you suggest some ways to lose fat without having to count calories?

Thanks!

That what I find the whole point of counting is for. To see how much of what you can eat to still being in the calorie limit for reaching your goals. There really is no guessing like without calorie counting.

Also I used to think that I would have a negative effect with counting calories before I started.

What goes through your mind to see that eating whatever will put you over the calorie limit for your day?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to track your food without trying to stay under some "magical" calorie count. Tracking your food helps you get to know what and how much you really are consuming. After you've done this for a few weeks, you can get a feel for what you should and shouldn't eat. Plan your weekly menus accordingly, all meals including snacks, and then it'll start to become second nature and less stressful.

And, of course, to lose fat doing cardio exercise always helps, too.

HTH
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You can also look at following a meal plan or portion control program. The problem with not counting is the obvious, over-eating, but also you could be under-eating and while you may lose weight doing this in the short term you could cause long term issues.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Low carb eating helped me start to lose weight initially without counting calories.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    OP I'd recommend pre-logging your calories if this is something that bothers you. You'll get more freedom and actually be able to enjoy the foods you like which is good for the long term.

Some people find success with following diets like Paleo due to the amount of restrictions they have. You can eat what ever you want from the list of acceptable foods but you cannot deviate. This works for some people which is not surprising because you can't go to McDonalds or get that double double white moacha with whipped cream from starbucks.

Two problems with that for me, 1. I can just as easily gain weight on paleo if I don't record. I love love love me some organic steak and can eat it like there's no tomorrow. 2. How long until I fail when I start to miss my Big Macs and/or getting tired of never being able to attend company happy hours because they aren't paleo friendly?

Calorie counting / flexible dieting is the best way to eat like a normal person yet hold yourself accountable. If you actually record your calories and portions you might start making smtarter decisions like instead of 4 slices of pizza, 2 with a side of baby carrots and etc.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    jcpmoore wrote: »
    My recommendation is to track your food without trying to stay under some "magical" calorie count. Tracking your food helps you get to know what and how much you really are consuming. After you've done this for a few weeks, you can get a feel for what you should and shouldn't eat. Plan your weekly menus accordingly, all meals including snacks, and then it'll start to become second nature and less stressful.

HTH

I think it is the "magical" calorie number which causes me to stress. I usually eat 1600 calories when I log and I just seem to enter into a binge :/

This could be useful actually thank you!

• squatsanddeadlift
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Thanks!

That what I find the whole point of counting is for. To see how much of what you can eat to still being in the calorie limit for reaching your goals. There really is no guessing like without calorie counting.

Also I used to think that I would have a negative effect with counting calories before I started.

What goes through your mind to see that eating whatever will put you over the calorie limit for your day?

Sorry could you rephrase the question?
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

HTH

I think it is the "magical" calorie number which causes me to stress. I usually eat 1600 calories when I log and I just seem to enter into a binge :/

Try not to look at your calorie goal as a line in the sand that you cant cross. I always recommend staying +/- 100 calories of your goal. This gives you a nice window and will help with having some flexibility.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You don't need to count calories to lose weight, you just need to create a calorie deficit. Have you tried intuitively eating at a deficit? As long as you are losing at your expected rate, then you have created the correct deficit. If you lose too quickly, eat more. If you are losing too slowly or not at all, eat less.
  • wendybirdx
    wendybirdx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What I sometimes do is I track my calories for a period of time and then keep up the meals I've eaten more or less. I usually won't introduce anything new until I've logged it at some point. Then I just repeat what I've eaten in the days I did count my calories!
  • squatsanddeadlift
    Options

HTH

Try not to look at your calorie goal as a line in the sand that you cant cross. I always recommend staying +/- 100 calories of your goal. This gives you a nice window and will help with having some flexibility.

I think I will start with just logging what I eat without trying to adhere to a set calorie goal and then go from there. Thank you
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You can try the My Plate method that my doctor advocates for those who hate calorie counting. 1/2 of your plate is nonstarchy veg, 1/4 is starch/carb, 1/4 is meat. Do not pile it up high to cheat lol.... you're looking for a meat portion and a starch portion the size of the palm of your hand more or less. a piece of fruit for dessert.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

I really like living by this philosophy. My life is pretty routine, so I can get a feel for how much food I should be consuming after a couple of weeks of counting and then stop. Assuming my routine stays the same, I will rely on memory and use judgement when deciding whether to eat more. If that routine changes (e.g. due to a shift change at work, not having time to prepare my normal meals, etc), or if I lose perspective and plateau or gain in lbs, I just start counting again for a little while.

I hate counting all the time too, so this helps keep me sane.