Advice please! 10 pounds

Options
hi! Seems like there's a pretty well educated group on MFP! Anyways, I just started back on here for the first time in a few years. I'm female, 5 feet flat, and 118 pounds. My ideal weight goal is around 108-109. I know I don't have far to go but I want to tone up a little and just be healthier in general. Currently MFP has me set on 1,200 a day for a 1lb/wk plan. I go to the gym about 5-6 days a week, with normally biking 6 miles or 20 minutes of cardio followed by alternating different free weight exercises. Any other tips or advice? Trying to be very careful with sugar intake and getting enough water/sleep! Thank you in advance for any help:)!

Replies

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The two big things I've learned:

Go slow. At your height and weight, 1/2lb per week is a reasonable goal; 1lb per week is aggressive but do-able; 2lb per week would probably be on the dangerous side, but I'm no doctor. I'm working with similar numbers (a little taller & heavier, same 10lbs to lose and same calorie goal), and in my experience it's difficult to stay at 1200. Also!! Check to make sure that the 1lb is accurate: at my height of 5'3" and sedentary, 1200 cals set at a 1lb loss defaults down to .8lbs to keep my intake at a "safe" number. Make sure MFP didn't do the same to you.

Exercise burn is usually overestimated on machines and in the MFP database, so the common practice seems to be halving the number and eating the calories back, OR using the numbers given and eating back half of the burned calories.

GL!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    The two big things I've learned:

Go slow. At your height and weight, 1/2lb per week is a reasonable goal; 1lb per week is aggressive but do-able; 2lb per week would probably be on the dangerous side, but I'm no doctor. I'm working with similar numbers (a little taller & heavier, same 10lbs to lose and same calorie goal), and in my experience it's difficult to stay at 1200. Also!! Check to make sure that the 1lb is accurate: at my height of 5'3" and sedentary, 1200 cals set at a 1lb loss defaults down to .8lbs to keep my intake at a "safe" number. Make sure MFP didn't do the same to you.

Exercise burn is usually overestimated on machines and in the MFP database, so the common practice seems to be halving the number and eating the calories back, OR using the numbers given and eating back half of the burned calories.

GL!

I agree with both of these.

I'd add in maybe up the weights and lower the cardio a bit, if you're wanting to preserve muscle and encourage more fat loss.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MFP won't go lower than 1200 calories so it's very possible that although you have it set at 1 pound per week that your actual rate of loss will be lower than that. If you look at your goals it will show you what your actual predicted rate of loss is at 1200 calories.

Honestly, at your current weight, you should look into lowering your body fat percentage and dispense with the arbitrary scale goal. This is especially true if you are lifting because muscle will skew your weight loss. The scale is not a really good indicator of increased health and fitness once you get into the "normal/healthy" range.
  • hd848
    hd848 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Beachbody makes a great at-home video called PiYo that is a cross between Pilates and Yoga. Fluid movement, no holding any pose for a long time. It will tone you right up. It also helps with posture and flexibility. Very relaxing. :)

65328737.png