Ladies - weight fluctuations around time of cycle?

Options
3AAnn3
3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
Do any other women out there gain 3-5 pounds around the time of their period? I have been logging every single bite I eat and I was up 2 pounds this morning and am expecting my cycle in a few days. In fact, I was about 450 calories under my food intake goals yesterday, so it's just totally mind boggling to me. This, in addition to weight training and a great deal of cardio yesterday. My automatic response is to be very frustrated, but perhaps daily weight fluctuations should be taken with a grain of salt, especially with menstruation? What does everyone else think?

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 2-4 lbs just before my period. The 4th day of my cycle I lose whatever I gained and another pound. Then the next day, I'm back to normal. I always like that 4th day, my lowest weight of the month.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, and every woman is a little different. I am usually up 2-3 pounds the day or two before I start my period. But now that my periods are fluctuating because of peri menopause, it can be all over the place, so I stay off the scale.
    Are you weighing yourself everyday? You will drive yourself crazy. I suggest once a week, or even once a month. Also, don't live and die by the scale, use other measuring devices, tape measure and pictures and how your clothes fit are also great ways to measure your success during weight loss.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yep. Who'd be a woman eh? Ha ha!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I usually gain a couple lbs of water weight the week before my cycle and lose it all the first couple days after my period starts. Since I know that happens I usually don't weigh during that time.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I gain up to 5!

For this reason I only weigh myself once a month after TOM is over.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am on day two of my cycle and still up a pound. I weigh every day and have a steady gain about 4-5 days before it starts. Lasts just over a week.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely do not worry about it around this time of the month. I typically weigh anywhere from 3-5 lbs more about 6 days before my period starts. Once it starts, I weigh myself the next day and my weight is back to normal.
  • tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes. The first time I was upset. Now I don't with myself around that time. It gets to discouraging.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I gain gradually once it actually starts and over the next 5 days or so (about 2-4 lbs). By the time its over or after its over (about 7 days) it finally drops back down.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I usually ignore it. No need to get myself worked up over something that I have no real control over. Usually afterwards I go back down.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me around ovulation as well. So twice a month! Yay for being a girl!!!
    That being said, the days following when the water weight drops and the fat losses are "unmasked" are pretty awesome :)
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gain about 5 pounds for that week and then go back down. I still weigh daily, but I don't record the weights during that time because I know it's way off.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't want to obsess over the number on the scale and I am determined not to even weigh in for the next week.
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes. Its annoying. :0( I put on weight (up to 2 pounds!) right when I start my period and things go back to normal after it. Ahh
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm usually up 2-3 lbs, so I generally don't weigh myself around that time.

But the cool part is, the week after I'm usually down 1.5-2 pounds. Its the most weight I lose at once. Lol
  • LisaLuckmann
    LisaLuckmann Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been known to gain 5-7 pounds of water weight right before my period. That's all it is. You are retaining water. I crave salty things before I start and that contributes to the problem. Monitor your sodium intake on the app, make adjustments and most of all don't worry about it. It's perfectly normal. :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain 2-3 pounds the week or two before my period. When my period starts I lose a pound a day until that water weight is gone. Track it for a few of months and you will start to see your pattern. Like someone else said....watch your sodium intake. Keep it on the low side and maybe you won't fluctuate as much.
  • venuila
    venuila Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering this. I am expecting it any day now and the scale was up 4 lbs this morning! Better go back down afterwards tehe.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate up to 8 lbs around this time. Avoid the scale and keep doing what you are doing! When it doubt, do the math. I would have had to consume an extra 28,000 calories (on top of my 1800 daily maintenance) to actually gain those 8 lbs...so clearly it's not a real gain and don't stress over it!