Fresh or Packaged

Options
Sometimes I want to have a healthy yummy hot meal but I dont want to spend ages chopping veges and stewing etc. Is it still ok to get a packaged curry, soup kinda thing and heat it up and eat. The one i buy says no extra weird ingredients just veges and spices

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I want to have a healthy yummy hot meal but I dont want to spend ages chopping veges and stewing etc. Is it still ok to get a packaged curry, soup kinda thing and heat it up and eat. The one i buy says no extra weird ingredients just veges and spices
    That is good. Check whether or not it has oil, because that could add calories.

• lukejspoor
    lukejspoor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No, these 'ready meals' will still have extra ingredients for flavouring, if you want the get the most out of fat loss/lean muscle you need to have natural and fresh ingredients. If you don't want to spend ages chopping 'veges', I'm sorry but you need to try find some motivation as you mustn't want the result that much. Just my opinion :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sure, if it fits into you calorie goals go for it :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    lukejspoor wrote: »
    No, these 'ready meals' will still have extra ingredients for flavouring, if you want the get the most out of fat loss/lean muscle you need to have natural and fresh ingredients. If you don't want to spend ages chopping 'veges', I'm sorry but you need to try find some motivation as you mustn't want the result that much. Just my opinion :)

False.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If it

If it fits your goals then it is fine.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Package foods comes with a boat load of sodium which could make your body retain water weight. If you decide this way, just make sure you drink plenty of liquids/water to offset the high level of sodium.

Secondly, you could prep your food for a week at a time, if you decided this way. A food chopper doesn't cost that much and you could toss all of the ingredients into a crockpot and have a week of meals ready in a few hours.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lukejspoor wrote: »

I hope you are joking.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Yes, this is fine. Probably not the best plan to get all your meals this way, but every food, every meal, doesn't need to be homemade from fresh for health or weight loss.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Don't eat anything that you're allergic or intolerant to. Don't eat things that you don't like. Everything else is fair game as long as you hit you calorie and nutrition goals.

• FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Sometimes i get home late and was wondering if a stuff like that is ok. Yes i have noticed some are high sodium, even the homemade stew my mum makes. the one i had packaged had chick peas, tonato, coconut cream, onion, pumpkin and some spices in. Was yum and i guess i just thought it was too yummy and easy to be healthy but apparently that's the brands aim.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat packaged stuff often. Read the labels and look for non-GMO foods.