Former athlete turned couch potato... Need friends for motivation!

Options
Mbiskey
Mbiskey Posts: 3 Member
Hey, guys! My name is Melissa and I could really use some help. I was an athlete for 7 years in which my body weight didn't really change. I was 125 lbs with great muscle and tone. Now I'm 175 lbs and feeling pretty down about myself. When I was dating my husband I gained 50 lbs in 6 months... Now I'm stuck. I lack so much motivation. Please help! I've ran for two days straight so there's something, haha.

Replies

• carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Im right there with ya! Im a former college athlete I used to weigh about 170-175 (Im 6'2"), now Im at 260!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Many of my friends did the same when we left the military for a cushy civilian job. Managed to put on over 70lbs in the last 12 years due to a sedentary lifestyle. Decided to make a change last year and down ~50lbs with 20 to go.

You know what to do and you'll get there, just be patient and make small, sustainable changes.
  • Mbiskey
    Mbiskey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know, I know. It's hard. Especially when my husband eats like crap, but is fit...
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Funny how a relationship will sometimes perpetuate these things. I know I've gained 40lbs since I've been married, lol.
  • SarahRay660
    SarahRay660 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there! My name is Sarah and I'm in a similar situation. I was in the military and had that great physique. About 7 years ago, I gained about 60 pounds. I used the Wii Fit and ate healthy and lost all my weight and looked great. In July of 2014, I was put into a medically induced coma for three and a half weeks. When I came to, I had to learn how to redo everything, I lost all muscle in my body. I had to learn how to walk, talk, and swallow among other basic things. It was very painful to do. When I got home, I no longer had the doctors telling me what to do, so I rested. I rested for far too long. I have just recently noticed how much weight I have gained. I wasn't paying attention because I was enjoying being alive. I am normally about 140 lbs, that's a good weight for me. Now, I am at a very painful, out of shape, out of breath weight of 257 lbs. I recently started tracking my food intake with Myfitnesspal. It has helped my realize how much/unhealthy I eat and I hate that it tells me what I don't what to hear!!!! I also have an upgraded FitBit on the way as well which will track my fitness throughout the day and it also syncs up with Myfitnesspal to give me calorie credit for my exercises. If you are interested, I will be your motivational friend and you can be mine. If you do not already have a FitBit, let me know and I can ship you my old one :smiley:

-Sarah
  • Physiobody
    Physiobody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get caught up with life and have your health take a back seat. We have all been there at some point in our lives but the best thing to do is to start today. Good luck and I would be happy to provide any support that I can!