Going back to meat

Options
I've been vegetarian for a little over a year and a half, and I think I want to go back to eating meat.
I quit eating meat originally because I didn't like the flavor and I thought it was gross, but I'm finding it less so and I think it will help me eat fewer carbs and be an easier source of protein...

Any tips for going back? I've heard of people getting sick when they go back to eating meat, so should I ease into it?

Thanks =]

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Go slow. Perhaps start with chicken/fish?
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, so if I started eating meat again I would probably get very sick. However, if you were only vegetarian for 1 1/2 years, I doubt you'll have much of an issue. Just start with smaller amounts just to be sure.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    My sister went back to meat when she was pregnant. She started slowly and really still dosn't eat a lot of it. I suggest even buying free range, grass fed, hormone-free. It will help to keep you from feeling ill ( it tastes way better, too!)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I started with Fish first...then chicken. I rarely eat pork and I haven't had beef in about 8 years. Take it slow...the longer you go without the harder it's gonna be to go back to doing it. I don't think Ill ever eat red meat again because it's been so long it would make me horribly sick.

Don't force it if you can't bare it though...
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going pescetarian, it's where the only meat you eat is seafood. If you don't love seafood it probably wouldn't work for ya though. Sad to lose another vegetarian though.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I did this a few years ago - I strongly recommend starting back with fish, then adding in some poultry, then lastly, red meat.
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the dark side.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Wow, I gave up meat for the same reason. Giving up meat has helped me to eat healthier and I haven't been able to stay under my calorie limit till I did give it up. To each their own. :)
  • eeelastic9
    eeelastic9 Posts: 24
    Options
    I only plan to eat chicken and turkey, as I didn't eat beef or pork before, and I don't care for fish/seafood. I don't know how much I'll eat meat, but I wanted to make sure I'd be okay going back.

When I don't eat meat, I tend to fill up on carbs, and usually the high sugar kind. It's been tough for me to control what I'm eating, so hopefully with a lower-carb protein source at least occasionally, that may help me.

Thanks everyone!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When I started eating meat again after being a vegetarian for years, I just started adding it back into my diet slowly, and never felt sick. An ounce of chicken with my salad, an ounce of extra lean ground beef with my pasta a few times a week. Then gradually increased the amount and regularity over several months. Never was able to go back to gamier type meats. Still stick with white meat chicken and turkey, lean cuts of beef and pork. Anything else just tastes way to fatty.

Have to say, that even though I still don't eat huge amounts of meat, (actually more so since I have been trying to lose weight), I feel much healthier. Just couldn't get enough protein to stay strong and keep my immune system up with out it.