Cardio with an injury

Options
HJayBee
HJayBee Posts: 17 Member
I sprained my ankle
and I do not want to not do cardio at all while it heals.
Anyone know of any alternatives?
Please help!

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Could you swim?
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Swimming, even walking in the water will do till you recover.
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    how about hula hooping? Its more on the legs than the ankles.
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    I would recommend, boxing...not actual boxing but at least the upper arm movement of boxing. It's a great way to get cardio in with lower body injuries. That is what Jillian recommends in her 30 Day Shred dvds.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    When I tore the ligaments in my ankle, I was going nuts - housebound and sick of not being able to do anything. A kind friend drove me to a huge Ikea, and while he shopped, I bombed up and down in one of their customer wheelchairs.

Great workout, it did me the world of good - I even picked up a few things for myself while I was there.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    punches gets a good cardio workout in
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tore my achillies 8 weeks ago. Had surgery and have been going through rehab. My podiatrist gave me arm and cardio excercises I could do while healing. Google it and you will find plenty. I can now walk very slowly for 30 mins with a foot brace.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I would recommend, boxing...not actual boxing but at least the upper arm movement of boxing. It's a great way to get cardio in with lower body injuries. That is what Jillian recommends in her 30 Day Shred dvds.

This was going to be my recommendation also.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I cycled last summer with a severely sprained ankle. I had to get in the habit of putting down my left foot instead of my right, but there is no side to side and so little up and down movement that it didn't hurt at all, but torched tons of calories. Also, definitely follow the RICE advice. I have sort of ignored sprained ankles in the past and they have taken forever to heal, but this time I really wanted to heal quickly so I wouldn't loose excersize momentum. So I followed the care plan to a T and was back on my feet much quicker than in the past.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Take it from someonewho is suffering from your same injury (except I did it bad enough to tear some tendon too) REST the first 2 weeks PLEASE. You will heal amazingly faster. Ill admit I was going stir crazy, but 3 weeks later my Dr is amazed at how well I have healed.

Also go out and get an ankle brace that is high support (walmart carries one for $15 it has flexibly metal plates in it) it provides alot more stability the an ace wrap so when you are on it, its less impact on the sprain which helps it heal faster.

I still have some swelling but mainly because I have a 2 year old and cant just stop all together.

After 2.5 weeks I started swimming and water aerobics which I love, swimming does still use your ankles though so be prepared for a little ibuprofen.

Warm foot & ankle baths as well as massaging the sprain nightly will help alot too.

There is a picture of my injury in my pictures actually

**EDIT: First time Ive sprained my right ankle, I have done this severe of an injury to my left multiple times, and after healing fast this time I really wish I would have rested before**