Water Retention Question

Options
I started the BBL last week (Brazillian Butt Lift by BeachBody) and ate decently, drank a good amount of water, and stuck with the exercise program, which is much more intense than I am used to. I stayed the same weight, lost half an inch on my waist and 0.75 inches from my belly (measured at my belly button) so I know good things are happening. I've noticed that my limbs have felt really swollen lately, more than muscle soreness. I've read that your body stores water when you start a rigorous exercises routine (something about glycogen), so it makes sense.

My reason for posting this is wondering what the best way to rid myself of this water weight is. Should I do more cardio to sweat it out, drink a ton more water, consumer way less sodium, or all of the above? I have to be in a bathing suit this weekend (fun fun) alongside some seriously fit girls. By serious, I mean one is a personal trainer and will participating in a fitness competition the following week!!!

Help!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Less sodium and more water to flush out the retention. Doing more strenuous activity may cause you to retain more. Sore muscles need time to recover. That's not to say that working out is something you shouldn't do. It just won't cause you to lose the retention, but rather hold onto more.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water and less sodium.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    Remember the formula for figuring your water needs...drink 1/2 your body weight (in ounces of water). For example... if you weigh 130 lbs. You should be drinking 65 oz (8.1/4 cups) of water daily. If you're 160 lbs, you would need 80 oz (10 cups), etc. Also, cut out ALL ADDED SODIUM.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I know you want to see the results on the scale. I have the same issue. I am ALWAYS in "sore muscle mode" and therefore am probably ALWAYS retaining water. But I would say you shouldn't try to lose the water. It's doing something for those broken down muscles. I've gotta say your results are AWESOME and I bet you are sooo proud of THAT!! Don't worry about that stupid scale.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i go through the same fluctuation each time a start a new exercise routine that is more challenging than usual. i think my body holds the extra water as it tries to adjust to the new muscle stress. it balances out after a couple weeks for me, and the pounds start dropping again.

i know it's tough, but stay focused on the inches (you were smart to measure!) 'cuz ultimately if you look smokin' hot at the size you want to be, the number on the scale doesn't matter.
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I figured it would be that, but thought I would ask anyway. I wasn't sure if retention from exercise was different than retention from consuming salt.

So tempting to be unhealthy this week and buy a diuretic or eat way low cals, I'm trying my hardest to keep with slow and steady!!!
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    So tempting to be unhealthy this week and buy a diuretic or eat way low cals, I'm trying my hardest to keep with slow and steady!!!

stick to slow and steady, it can be hard when you are already pretty lean, those last few pounds are tough (i'm right there with you!). i think you are doing great, and the new routine will pay off, be patient and trust your body, it needs that water right now (since it is from exercise, not a crazy salt binge) and will reward you soon

xoxox
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I post this on all water retention topics that I see, but it really helps!
    Cut one entire lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a pot, throw in the peels and all. Add 16-18 ounces of water and boil for about 3 minutes with a lid on it. remove the lemon and seeds, than drink the water. You can add a caffeine free tea bag (detox tea works well) if you'd like, it tastes better than just the warm lemon water. It's best to do in the evening after you have finished eating for the day. You will pee a lot! good luck :)