Tips for losing weight during Ramadan?

Ramadan is supposed to be a time to cleanse your body and soul of toxins and refrain from eating/drinking from sunrise to sundown. Usually this is the time I obsess about food, because all day, while I fast I'm only thinking about what I want to eat when I break my fast and I end up binge eating at night! Needless to say, I either put on some weight during Ramadan, or don't lose any at all. And you would think you should lose some weight because you're not eating for over 18 hours.

Does anyone have any tips on how to lose weight during Ramadan?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I have a lot of friends who participate in Ramadan...maintaining weight or losing weight during this time is the same as losing or maintaining during normal times.

Log your food accurately and stay either in maintenance or at a deficit...

Timing of your eating has nothing to do with losing weight...it's all about the amount.

Only suggestion I have is to savour your food...eat it slowly to avoid the "binge" at first...eat stuff that requires a fork and knife or start with soup.
  • linac05
    linac05 Posts: 6 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have a lot of friends who participate in Ramadan...maintaining weight or losing weight during this time is the same as losing or maintaining during normal times.

Log your food accurately and stay either in maintenance or at a deficit...

Timing of your eating has nothing to do with losing weight...it's all about the amount.

Only suggestion I have is to savour your food...eat it slowly to avoid the "binge" at first...eat stuff that requires a fork and knife or start with soup.

Great tips. Thanks!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    It may help to pre plan your meal For when you break your fast. Weigh everything on a food scale first and log it. Then you'll be able to see exactly how much your consuming.

Sometimes when things are pre planned, it's easier to stick to. So make your plan and do your best to adhere to it.
    It's about how much you eat, not the time that you've eaten.
  • linac05
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    It may help to pre plan your meal For when you break your fast. Weigh everything on a food scale first and log it. Then you'll be able to see exactly how much your consuming.

Sometimes when things are pre planned, it's easier to stick to. So make your plan and do your best to adhere to it.
    It's about how much you eat, not the time that you've eaten.

Will definitely meal prep! Thanks!
  • lubna_mussa
    lubna_mussa Posts: 3 Member
    Hey... I found that the best way to maintain yourself is during Iftar time, break your fast with fruits that contain a lot of water, for example I prefer watermelons and sweet melons..
    Or start off with green tea and some date and then go to watermelons..
    Usually by this time you will feel stuffed! So that's when you start plating up for yourself..
    It's always worked for me, so good luck
    And another tip, don't et heavy at night.. Before your fasting begins, have some yogurt drink, salad with any kind of protein..
    And all those yummy fried snacks, limit to one of each or 2..
    Take small bites..
    Oh Ramadan Kareem.. Few more days to go..
    And try walking for atleast half and hour outside, or if you go mosque, walk it or park abit further away and walk..
  • linac05
    Hey... I found that the best way to maintain yourself is during Iftar time, break your fast with fruits that contain a lot of water, for example I prefer watermelons and sweet melons..
    Or start off with green tea and some date and then go to watermelons..
    Usually by this time you will feel stuffed! So that's when you start plating up for yourself..
    It's always worked for me, so good luck
    And another tip, don't et heavy at night.. Before your fasting begins, have some yogurt drink, salad with any kind of protein..
    And all those yummy fried snacks, limit to one of each or 2..
    Take small bites..
    Oh Ramadan Kareem.. Few more days to go..
    And try walking for atleast half and hour outside, or if you go mosque, walk it or park abit further away and walk..

Thank you for these helpful tips!! Ramadan Kareem to you too!!
  • lilykabir26
    lilykabir26 Posts: 7 Member
    Some excellent tips here! I try to reach for the watermelons but get so tempted by all the savouries displayed so lavishly around the table.