Advice for Working Out with Allergies?

Options
Spring is finally here, and along with it, so much pollen that I am miserable, even on two allergy medications. Any suggestions for exercising outside with allergies?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Bring an inhaler and water.
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Not sure how bad your allergies are but you may want to try a different allergy medication than you're currently using. There are different types on the market, even drops for itchy eyes. I actually use a generic brand that works great! As for alternative ways of exercising, you might want to go to your local mall early to get a good wallk in. To cut down on the time you spend outside you may want to consider cardio execises like jump roping & biking, you get more calories for the vigorous stuff. I tried a workout DVD this past weekend and although it was tough I earned 700 calories!

Wishes for much success:)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    A Neti pot should be added to your daily regime. My mom bought me one a few years back, and I thought she was nuts. When I move to the South, my allergies moved from tolerable to out of control! I've tried almost every allergy med on the market - both OTC and prescription. Nothing really helped. I started using my Neti Pot twice a day, and it helped enormously!

I use my pot twice a day and now take a daily allegra. I've barely had any issues this year, and I work out and run outside often!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Don't know about you, but Zyrtec D works wonders for me. Ive tried claritin, regular zyrtec, allegra D and a slew of other things, and so far Zyrtec D lasts the longest and stops all symptoms.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    During the worst of the allergy season for me (December to February here) I try to avoid being outdoors as much as possible. But if I do exercise outside, the things that help are to minimize exposure to the pollen as much as possible. So when you are done exercising, be sure to shower and change clothes as soon as possible since the pollen will be on your skin and clothes. And I definitely second the recommendation of the Neti pot. It takes a bit of getting used to, but is worth it. It will rinse that pollen right out of your nasal passages.
  • DeidreJean
    DeidreJean Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I take Zyrtec and Flonase right now. The Flonase helps a lot, and the Zyrtec works better than anything else I have tried, but maybe I should try the Netti Pot and the Zyrtec D. I am tired of sinus infections and feeling exhausted all the time!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I take Zyrtec and Flonase right now. The Flonase helps a lot, and the Zyrtec works better than anything else I have tried, but maybe I should try the Netti Pot and the Zyrtec D. I am tired of sinus infections and feeling exhausted all the time!

Only other thing I'd say is that if you have any high BP issues, check with your Doctor before you start taking any meds with a 'D' on the end. They raise your blood pressure. ;D
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Ive seen people running trails with medical masks on to avoid breathing in the pollen & other allergens