fibromyalgia help

Options
I have fibromyalgia and hypermobility syndrome as well as asthma and allergies.
I struggle to exercise either at all or for long periods. My main pain pain areas are hips, knees, wrists. I do have physio exercises I do but need more if anyone might have any suggestions I would really appreciate it ☺

Replies

• jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't have these issues but have a few close people in my life that do. I recommend water aerobics. The low impact and extra support might help.
  • monkeysocks84
    monkeysocks84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea and I do like swimming
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I might be repeating what you’ve already heard a thousand times, and I don't really know anything about hypermobility, but here’s what I know about working out with Fibro:

In my experience with Fibro, you don’t want to work out too hard, so the goal is to break a good sweat without overdoing it to the point where you instigate inflammation. For me, that means lower-impact, longer workouts on recumbent bikes (keeping my feet out in front of me instead of under me helps more than I would've thought), or ellipticals when I need to break it up and do something a little more challenging. Swimming, by far, has been the best, but I don’t have access to a year-around pool. These longer, but lighter workouts also help me keep my asthma in check.

I’ve also been told “pre-treating” with Ibuprofen can help on exceptionally bad days (a few hours beforehand), but yikes… the idea of taking that stuff too regularly is scary. Definitely talk to your doctor first before trying that one.
  • KMBarnes1981
    KMBarnes1981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypermobility in my lower back yesterday so atm don't have any great tips. I'm going to start Pilates though to strengthen my core before moving on to working out with weights. As a side note I have found some hypnotherapy tracks specifically for fybromalgia on YouTube to be very useful. If you can get over the hippy trippy music, by 30 minutes in the pain has usually subsided quite significantly. Good luck!
  • monkeysocks84
    Options
    I might be repeating what you’ve already heard a thousand times, and I don't really know anything about hypermobility, but here’s what I know about working out with Fibro:

In my experience with Fibro, you don’t want to work out too hard, so the goal is to break a good sweat without overdoing it to the point where you instigate inflammation. For me, that means lower-impact, longer workouts on recumbent bikes (keeping my feet out in front of me instead of under me helps more than I would've thought), or ellipticals when I need to break it up and do something a little more challenging. Swimming, by far, has been the best, but I don’t have access to a year-around pool. These longer, but lighter workouts also help me keep my asthma in check.

I’ve also been told “pre-treating” with Ibuprofen can help on exceptionally bad days (a few hours beforehand), but yikes… the idea of taking that stuff too regularly is scary. Definitely talk to your doctor first before trying that one.

I take ibuprofen and paracetamol daily but it might be an idea to make sure I take it so it will take effect at times of exercise, I walk the dog each day so I get a little but no where near enough.
    Thank you for your advice
  • kelsikap
    kelsikap Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of The Myers Way autoimmune protocol diet? I have been on it since February and it has almost 100% eliminated all the pain I had from Lupus. It's supposed to significantly help fibromialgia as well. Worth looking into. I could barely do minimal exercise before and my lungs constantly ached and now I'm doing Kayla Itsines BBG and am able to do it pain free.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube for Chair Exercises and Chair Boxing. Also Chair or Mat/ floor Yoga.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about hypermobility, but I have fibro. I also have psoriatic arthritis, and fatigue comes along with that as well.

I found fatigue to be as big an obstacle to exercising as pain was.

If you can have access to an indoor pool, water exercising is great. I'm not much of a swimmer, but I recently start water jogging and I like that a lot. Unfortunately, I only have access to a deep water pool during the summer.

Anyway... got off the point there for a minute. When I first started exercising, I was using a cane to walk. I walked 10 minutes the first day. I was tired, but not too much. I did the same thing the next day. I gradually built up my time, adding 5 minutes as my body felt like it could take it. Gradually, I worked up to 40 minutes. This seems to be about as long as my joints will allow me.

Eventually, I joined a gym because it got too cold to walk outside. I was using an exercise bike for a while, but that started bothering my knees (they're one of my worst joints). I've added strength training and do that at least twice a weak. I was VERY weak to start out with and my trainer needed to start me on machines. We've recently moved to dumbbells. Strengthening my muscles has helped a LOT with my energy levels and my overall sense of well-being.

Do check with your doctors about anything you do, though. There are some moves I can't do, certain ways I can't move my body, but I'm much better than I used to be. Exercise helps a lot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Another vote for swimming or (beginner) water aerobics.

For yoga, start with beginner or gentle yoga. Yoga can heal or hurt. If you're taking yoga at a gym, ask about the instructor's qualifications and look for someone who has at least the 200 hour certification (as opposed to an aerobics instructor with a weekend yoga workshop.)

I have knee problems, but am ok walking in the woods on dirt with good walking shoes. When I have a gym membership, I use the recumbent bike. I can't do the elliptical for very long, so do five minutes on the bike, a minute on the elliptical, and back and forth.

Good luck!
  • monkeysocks84
    Options
    Thanks guys lots for me to look into there, I have two pools near me I can use, I find specific diets difficult as my partners mum cooks for me for my evening meal and I don't think that will change, walking the dog tonight was a short walk as I ache already today but I'll get there and my job is physically and emotionally demanding as I work as a team manager in a nursery in the baby unit but I wouldn't change that for anything :)
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water activities suggestion. I have CFS/ME which is similar to Fibro and my hips are hypermobile and cause some issues with exercise. When I have a bad flare up, I find water aerobic exercises are tolerable. When you're having a period of time without much pain, I find it best to try to strengthen the muscles. Weight-lifting is great, but be careful to not over-do it. I find weight-lifting fatigues me less than cardio. Cardio = death for me, haha. Weight-lifting has helped with my pain a bit. Even though you might be sore the next day, it's for a reason and not just because your body wants to be!
  • monkeysocks84
    Options
    Walking the dog is my cardiovascular lol. Going to look next week at the pool so hope they have something on :)