Lower Ab help!

Options
Hi Everyone! I need some great exercises for the lower abs. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and the rest of my body is in pretty decent shape (and i do get a little sore after working out - which i then know its working!) but my problem area is my lower tummy. I do eat clean and watch what i eat. I just dont really feel "sore" after a workout no matter how hard i push myself so im thinking maybe its not working or im not doing it right? Someone please give me some tips! Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You do not need to feel pain/sore during or after to know your workout is working...

If you think you may not be doing the exercises correctly, then this is a different topic. If so, you need to learn form correctly especially so that you do not injure your self. Tons of stuff on how to do exercise form correctly on google, youtube, etc..
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    When I target my abs to get that six pack look with the V cut, I grab an 8 lbs medicine ball and do 4 sets of 25 crunches (If you have a friend the two of you can play catch to make the move harder). Then I hold the ball for 4 sets of flutter kicks 60 seconds each. Lastly I do 4 sets of 25 leg raises while holding the ball up in the air to target the lower half of my abs
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    hanging leg raises help a lot...eventually add a dumbbell between your feet and you'll really gain strength.
  • audreykaufman7
    audreykaufman7 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I target my abs to get that six pack look with the V cut, I grab an 8 lbs medicine ball and do 4 sets of 25 crunches (If you have a friend the two of you can play catch to make the move harder). Then I hold the ball for 4 sets of flutter kicks 60 seconds each. Lastly I do 4 sets of 25 leg raises while holding the ball up in the air to target the lower half of my abs

I will try this today! When you have the 8lb medicine ball, are you squeezing it between your ankles?
    Thanks!
    :)
  • audreykaufman7
    audreykaufman7 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    hanging leg raises help a lot...eventually add a dumbbell between your feet and you'll really gain strength.

I do hanging leg raises already it just doesnt feel like its doing much. Should i add weight to it?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    This is asked almost daily. Google "spot reduction myth".

Which strength program are you following?
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    military fitness has great workouts for the core and abs
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    your lower abs could be looking great, but it's also about the kitchen and a layer of fat hanging around that may be genetic.
    leg raises are fantastic, you can do the weight work or you can do them extremely slowly. but the truth is you cannot spot reduce.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen.
    moyer566 wrote: »
    your lower abs could be looking great, but it's also about the kitchen and a layer of fat hanging around that may be genetic.
    leg raises are fantastic, you can do the weight work or you can do them extremely slowly. but the truth is you cannot spot reduce.

Why is that fat I don't like still hanging on after all my hard work? Genetics, plain and simple. Every person be they a man or woman gains weight in different areas first and it will be these area that will lose last. No amount of spot reducing is possible. It is notoriously difficult to lose those last few pounds of fat. Revisit your diet, adjust as necessary to keep enough protein for your lean muscle mass and keep yourself in deficit. Eventually that layer will disappear, be prepared for it to take longer than you want it to.

Other than that keep up the good work and Good Luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    thrown downs. you can do this without a partner but it isnt as difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u15GcChLDg

this is also a list of things i like to do. Lemon Squeezers being my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btbsQ27cfKY

you can tell, even he has a hard time. ;)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do lots of planks. One of my favs is ankle attachment at the cables, get into a plank and take the weighted leg and draw knee into elbow. I do mine with 20lbs. Also TRX plank to pike then plank to split pike. Side plank raising top leg. V-up on flat bench. Hanging leg raises both straight leg and then bent leg side to side for obliques. Ab rollouts with wheel are good too.
  • hazsean
    hazsean Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You dont need to feel sore for it to work! If you are not in correct form or doing to much your back tire and ache (dont forgetto train your back if training abs! Its very important to do so!) Also dont over do it, training 6 days a week is a lot of strain on your body and if your body is too busy fuelling and repairing other muscles your muscles you are training wont fully benefit from your workout!