Skinny Margarita Recipes

Options
JessicaThompson12
JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
edited May 2015 in Recipes
Anyone have one they'd like to share? :-)

Replies

• LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in this too! lol I saw this once on a website:

Ingredients
    • 1 (12 ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate (thawed)
    • 1½ cups (12 fluid ounces) tequila
    • 1 (12 oz) can diet 7-up (1½ cups)
    • 1 (12oz) bottle or can of light beer (1½cups)
    • Lots of ice cubes
    • 2 limes, cut into wedges

Instructions

1. In a pitcher, add the ingredients and stir until blended.
    2. Add salt around the rim of each glass, if desired. Place lots of ice in each glass. Add the margarita mix and garnish with a lime wedge.

Makes 8 beer margaritas (¾ cup each)

Prep Tip
    The day before you make these, defrost the limeade in the refrigerator.
    Otherwise, place in a bowl of hot water to defrost quickly.

SKINNY FACTS: for 1 beer margarita (3/4 cup)
    229 calories, 0g fat, 1g protein, 30g carbs, 0g fiber, 7mg sodium, 29g sugar

Skinnykitchen.com ftw!
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I just use the diet margarita mix from the store. It has no calories, or 5 per serving, or something like that.
  • JessicaThompson12
    Options

Ingredients
    • Lots of ice cubes

Instructions

2. Add salt around the rim of each glass, if desired. Place lots of ice in each glass. Add the margarita mix and garnish with a lime wedge.

Prep Tip

Skinnykitchen.com ftw!

This doesn't look bad at all. Hmm...I might give this a try.
    I just use the diet margarita mix from the store. It has no calories, or 5 per serving, or something like that.

I'm not a fan of the mixers. The aftertaste for both the diet ones and the regular ones is horrible to me.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Ingredients
    • Lots of ice cubes

Instructions

Prep Tip

Skinnykitchen.com ftw!

I can tell you this is awesome! I like the fizz the beer and 7-up adds to the drink. I have been making rocks margaritas this way for years.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Okay so I am a margarita LOVER!! I have searched for a "light margarita" that tastes good. I tried making my own, nothing... Skinny girl margarita = GROSS! The only thing I have found is Jose Quervo Light Margarita. It already has the tequila in it and it's 95 cal per 4oz serving (which isn't all that fantastic) but its the best I have found.
  • DawnAnnaMcMaster
    DawnAnnaMcMaster Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Super easy, only 3 ingredients and 176 calories.

2 oz GOOD 100% agave tequila. I like Patron Silver

1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

1/2 Tbsp agave syrup

Combine these in a shaker with some ice. Shake well and pour over ice into a salt rimmed glass.

Enjoy!
  • paddles34
    paddles34 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    What bar tender puts beer in a margarita?
  • JessicaThompson12
    Options
    Okay so I am a margarita LOVER!! I have searched for a "light margarita" that tastes good. I tried making my own, nothing... Skinny girl margarita = GROSS! The only thing I have found is Jose Quervo Light Margarita. It already has the tequila in it and it's 95 cal per 4oz serving (which isn't all that fantastic) but its the best I have found.

Does it taste funny or leave a diety aftertaste? Thanks!
    Super easy, only 3 ingredients and 176 calories.

2 oz GOOD 100% agave tequila. I like Patron Silver

1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

1/2 Tbsp agave syrup

Combine these in a shaker with some ice. Shake well and pour over ice into a salt rimmed glass.

Enjoy!

This sounds wonderful.
    paddles34 wrote: »
    What bar tender puts beer in a margarita?

I've had a few beer-a-ritas at some Mexican places.
  • DawnAnnaMcMaster
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree! Beer in a margarita is gross! Just give me good quality tequila with some fresh lime and a little agave syrup on the rocks!

The premixed "skinny" stuff uses cheap tequila and artificial sweeteners. That is why it tastes gross!
  • DawnAnnaMcMaster
    Options
    Jessica, no diety after taste because there is nothing diety in it. Agave syrup is like honey but made from the same plant as the tequila. This is a classic bar recipe that just shines with the taste of the tequila and lime. Try it. You will love it!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    A great margarita is actually extremely simple. It is very little more than decent tequila, fresh lime juice, and ice.

There are a few issues here...

Tequila Selection
    • For a margarita, or mixed drink you DON'T want to spend a lot of money on a bottle of tequila, but you DO want it to be 100% agave and not a Mixto, like budget Jose Cuervo or Sauza.
    • Blanco/Plata/Silver vs. Aged is personal preference. I prefer blancos because you get more of that sharp, fresh agave vs. any oak aging or other complexities that will be lost in a mixed drink.
    • What America believes to be good tequila (Patron, et. al) is actually not. It is highly marketed, and therefore people think it is good. While 100% agave, it is expensive and not as smooth as other brands you have never heard of.
    • My favorite semi-budget tequila is Siete Leguas (7 Horses). It's $30 and great to drink alone or in a very simple margarita.
    • 9 times out of 10, I opt for a $20 bottle of 100% agave tequila like Tezon, Espolon, Milagro, Camarena, or Olmeca Altos Plata.

With that said, the best tequilas are the ones you've never heard of:

4 Copas
    7 Leguas
    Casa Noble
    Chinaco
    Don Fulano
    Don Valente
    El Don Plata
    El Tesoro
    Fina Estampa
    Fortaleza/Los Abuelos
    Herencia Mexicana
    Ocho
    Oro Azul
    Partida
    Penca Azul

^Every single one of these would make you laugh at Patron as you pass it in the liquor store.

Salt

-Salt is also personal preference, but it is defintiely not traditional. Gringos (white people) use salt in their margaritas; most Mexican people in the know do not. I personally think salt ruins a margarita. It turns a top-end, simple, refreshing cocktail into a salty, muddled mess.

Lime Juice

-Use fresh squeezed lime juice; not Rose's lime juice or a pre-made sour mix.

Orange Liqueur

-Totally optional. If using, get something cheap. It's not like you're using a lot of it.

Agave Nectar

-Optional (if you desire some sweetness to balance the acidity from the lime). If using, get the light agave nectar variety. The darker ones have a very strong, off-putting flavor that will be detracting in a refreshing margarita. You can also use sugar or another sweetener. The amount you're using is not going to make or break the margarita... Plus it's another $5 spent.

Ice & Water

-The final ingredient. You might be scratching your head at water, but a few drops can change a very harsh, upfront alcohol taste to a much smoother cocktail.

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is similar to some of the others, I am not sure of the portions as my boyfriend is the one that mixes these up by the pitcher. But we use Simply Limeade, good quality silver agave tequila, fresh limes, and either a little orange juice, or triple sec/Patron Citronge. I guess this is considered a "texas margarita". It is very tasty and leaves no aftertaste as everything is natural and fresh.