Bulking

Options
I'm currently dieting and losing weight and body fat nicely, once I get to my goal I will be looking to build more muscle. Just now I do three days of cardio and two days of weights. I'm new to all this so I was just wondering if anyone knows once I've got to my goal how much of a calorific surplus I should be on .. What types of things I should be eating while doing this and building muscle. How often to lift and do cardio? Remember I'm new to all of this so don't be too harsh folks! :)

Replies

• Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks guys :) I never seen the announcement in the thread list about bulking silly me! Will have a look just now thanks :)
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    What types of things I should be eating while doing this and building muscle

Ben n Jerrys... that is all I will say on the matter
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks guys :) I never seen the announcement in the thread list about bulking silly me! Will have a look just now thanks :)

let us know if you have questions…

if you want to add muscle you will need to ramp the cardio down and the heavy lifting up….
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

let us know if you have questions…

if you want to add muscle you will need to ramp the cardio down and the heavy lifting up….

I'd add that if your cardio is part of a sport/activity that you're not going to be stopping, then you'll need to factor that activity into your estimations of how much you need to eat to be in a surplus.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Well I'm just trying to get rid of body fat I'm at ~27% body fat I think I still have a bit to go before I show any abs etc.. so cardio is a big part of my workout just now , I was just wondering in advance :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just trying to get rid of body fat I'm at ~27% body fat I think I still have a bit to go before I show any abs etc.. so cardio is a big part of my workout just now , I was just wondering in advance :)

Recommended bulk range for females is 18-22% body fat
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Recommended bulk range for females is 18-22% body fat

I'll add that, form experience, 16-17% is even better because you'll start to feel really squishy and fat really fast! Keep doing what you're doing for now :smile:
  • Samm471
    Options
    Another question is what's the best things to eat after a cardio workout? Some people are saying carbs some people are saying avoid carbs. I like a slice of toast and scrambled egg but I don't know if this is any good?