Eating before run/side stitches

Options
Anens630
Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
If I eat something before I run, I get side stitches and whole workout is messed up b/c I can't make them go away (seriously, how do I make them go away??)---but if I don't eat my energy is done 20 mins into my run and I have zero energy to lift.

What does everyone eat/drink before a workout? I don't eat actual meals, but a quick snack to keep sugars in line--banana with PB, apple w/PB, handful of almonds...but even so, side stitches. Only time I don't get them is if I don't eat--which is just as bad.

I've never tried protein shakes---would those help?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't see why protein shakes would help compared to other foods.

How long are you waiting to run after you eat? I used to have a small fruit bar or something like that and wait 30 minutes.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    How long before running do you eat? I need to eat 1-2 hours before running or else I'll have problems.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You say you have no energy left to lift: do you run before lifting? Especially if you’re lifting heavy (i.e. low rep, high weight), you’d be better served by lifting first and cardio after.

I don’t eat anything before working out (except maybe drink a coffee) and I feel better than when I do eat. I don’t like feeling like my stomach is heavy.

Protein shakes are just meant to help you hit your protein macro.

Edit: I’m not sure what side stitches are, but I get pain in my side while running sometimes. It’s generally when I’m out of practice though.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How long are your runs that you need to eat first? Do you eat immediately before running?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Side stitches are usually (at least in my experience) due to not breathing well, or going to fast for your aerobic level. You stated that if you don't eat, you don't have enough energy. My guess is you're therefore running slower and not getting the side stitches. What you're eating looks good (and most people tolerate it well) but perhaps just try slowing down and see if that helps.

My husband can't eat anything except liquid before he runs. I've been known to eat a full meal like lasagna and garlic bread LOL. He does well with yogurt so you could try that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat a snack at most 2-4 hours before your workout. usually some easily digestible carbs and sugars are good, like a banana, peanut butter, and coffee.

time of day, length of workout, and overall intensity are also factors of what is causing this.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything in the morning until after I run. I just do better with an empty stomach. Once in a while I get a cramp (on an empty stomach). I focus on breathing in and forcefully breathing out (when I breathe out, my stomach goes contracts in, if that makes sense), and that usually works.
  • Anens630
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I try to eat 20 mins before working out---usually before dinner...quick snack, 20 mins later out door (wait for husband to come home from work), workout, home and dinner. Starting to try in the morning now with kiddos and that is more difficult b/c the meal I have before working out would be my actual breakfast (to time gym with toddler am nap).

I've been running for about a year (on treadmill) and go to 7.5 speed. The pains are only on left side--but man, when I get them--they won't go away...I read to try to press on the area and deep breath but still there.

I do run before lifting and actually, someone did tell me, to lift before running--I have more tenergy when doing it that way---but I have this mindset of running and working up a sweat before weights...almost like getting my angst out for the day. I did try lifting before running, and was amazed at how much longer I lasted at weights--didn't struggle as much.
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I run nearly every day, but I am a total amateur about these things, so let that be known... For what it's worth.... I always run before eating or even drinking. I get up and am out the door early in the morning. However, I find I have more energy when I eat a larger meal the night before a longer run. I recently did a 14 mile run, but drank a gel energy pack around mile 10 and I think that really helped my energy level and got me to push through the extra miles. I might even consider taking two with me for longer runs.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Alycat411 wrote: »
    I try to eat 20 mins before working out---usually before dinner...quick snack, 20 mins later out door (wait for husband to come home from work), workout, home and dinner. Starting to try in the morning now with kiddos and that is more difficult b/c the meal I have before working out would be my actual breakfast (to time gym with toddler am nap).

I've been running for about a year (on treadmill) and go to 7.5 speed. The pains are only on left side--but man, when I get them--they won't go away...I read to try to press on the area and deep breath but still there.

I do r

I'd consider an 8 minute mile a pretty quick pace. Bump it down to 6 or 6.5 and see how it goes.

• benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Is the stitch in your right side? There's actually been some evidence that the stitch, or pain, you feel in your side is actually from your right foot hitting the ground as you're breathing in. What happens is the liver bounces slightly and comes into contact with the diaphragm. This causes discomfort to the liver which causes the pain you feel. I've discovered that if I run and breathe in as my left foot hits the ground the pain doesn't happen since I'm not jostling that side of my body.
    Not saying eating before working out doesn't cause this same pain, because it definitely does. Just trying to shed some light on a different cause.
  • Anens630
    Options
    Yes! I typed left, but it is my right side---Only right side area belly button zone--but on the side and up a little.
  • heidim44444
    heidim44444 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unless I am planning to run more than an hour, I don't feel the need to eat before.

Try regulating your breathing by running an odd number of steps while breathing in, and the same breathing out. So count 3 steps breathing in, 3 steps breathing out (or whatever odd number.) I read this in a running magazine and it helps me. It becomes habit after a while.

Or, when you get the stitch, start walking at a quick pace, breathe in and out deep breaths until the stitch subsides, and then start running again. I hope this might have given you some ideas.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If I eat something before I run, I get side stitches and whole workout is messed up b/c I can't make them go away (seriously, how do I make them go away??)---but if I don't eat my energy is done 20 mins into my run and I have zero energy to lift.

What does everyone eat/drink before a workout? I don't eat actual meals, but a quick snack to keep sugars in line--banana with PB, apple w/PB, handful of almonds...but even so, side stitches. Only time I don't get them is if I don't eat--which is just as bad.

I've never tried protein shakes---would those help?

This is what works for me:

Try letting out a deep exhale for a couple of breaths. Does it go away within 30 seconds? Cool.

No? Breath out when you step down on the side with the stitch. Do this for at least a minute.

The second one usually solves it for me. Stitches are from a lack of oxygen to the diaphragm, or so I read, and those were the suggestions. And, they seem to work for me.
  • Anens630
    Options
    yes, thank you! I appreciate everyone's advice--it has been becoming quite the nuisance.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

I do run before lifting and actually, someone did tell me, to lift before running--I have more tenergy when doing it that way---but I have this mindset of running and working up a sweat before weights...almost like getting my angst out for the day. I did try lifting before running, and was amazed at how much longer I lasted at weights--didn't struggle as much.

If that's what you prefer (re running vs lifting timing), that's great. I prioritize lifting so I start with that. I actually usually run on non-lift days these days anyways. Good luck!