Very quick weight loss unhealthy?

Options
Alright so I have lost about 3 pounds since Monday, and it's only Thursday. My diet is around 1200-1600 calories a day and I've been doing an hour on the treadmill going about 3.2 mph at a 7% incline. Is it bad that I've already lost that much? I started out at 182 and am now 179. I am definitely over weight. I am 5'6 and I'm hoping to eventually get down to 135 or 140. I'm going to start high intensity exercises next week and continue with the treadmill and diet. When would I be able to reach my goal?

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Nope, not too fast. Almost all of that is water. I wouldn't expect it to continue at this pace or set an end date. Great job so far though!
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you will lose some water weight. The more overweight you are, the more you lose and faster those first couple of weeks. But like barbecuesauce said, don't expect that to continue, because that sort of weight loss every week is not typical, nor is it sustainable or healthy.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned, especially initially. Typical weight loss of 1-2#/week is definitely a good number after your first couple of weeks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are starting out just this week, right? For now, don't worry about it. When you first start losing weight you get this big whoosh of weight loss that is mostly water. After a few weeks it levels off and then you get a better idea of whether or not the calorie goal that MFP gives you needs to be adjusted.

It is impossible for us to tell you when you'll reach your goal. I would say in 6-12 months.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight, but good job anyway!
  • BetterYet
    BetterYet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is great to make a commitment to yourself and see immediate results! Please heed the warnings of the other posts as well, and be sure to drink plenty of water (although you are losing some water weight - different water weight though) and get the right amount of sleep. You also must factor in 'muscle recovery time'. Without it there may be an injury, so be mindful of what your body is telling you. Keep up the great work!!!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Yup, water weight. Don't worry about it. The weight loss will stabilize to a "normal" rate as long as you maintain your deficit (i.e. don't gain the water weight back).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    First week is fine to lose a bunch - even the first couple weeks - but then it should taper off to a more reasonable amount.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself throughout the day you'll find you fluctuate ~2-3% just from water variation. You're initial weigh in was likely at the peak. Still healthy - no worries.