Flexibility and Mobility...Don't put it on the back-burner!

Options
Hello all,

As a physical therapist I feel like it it my duty to provide education on the importance of achieving and maintaining adequate flexibility and mobility. Not only does it help to decrease pain and increase performance, it also decreases pain and stiffness. There are numerous tactics to use to increase your mobility and flexibility and I'd really like to get a discussion going on what works for different people and share my advice on the topic.

I did a blog post on the topic to provide you with a place to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Physiobody/view/need-to-limber-up-try-this-routine-747714

Replies

• BetterYet
    BetterYet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "Classical Stretch" dvd series works for me. It is pilates and yoga based and I have had tremendous results! My body feels alive because my flexibility has increased as well as circulation. I also like the barre! That will get you in touch with those tight muscles for sure!
  • Physiobody
    Physiobody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check that out. Have you heard of Yoga Tune-up by Jill Michaels I believe? I just heard her on a podcast and it sounds really interesting. I'm looking into starting that myself to see what it's all about.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link.............I do a lot of those already but some will be new and very beneficial at my age. I'm recovering from a hip flexor injury right now so may have to wait on a few of them.
  • Physiobody
    Options
    I've had the same problem at times. Have you don't any light foam rolling or tissue massage to help speed up the process and relieve pain?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Kelley Sterrit (spelling?) is an excellent resource for this subject-matter and he also has a free YouTube channel.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Kelley Sterrit (spelling?) is an excellent resource for this subject-matter and he also has a free YouTube channel.

He has some good information but as I understand it he's also got quite a bit of crap with regards to outdated ideas around causes of pain. Anoop goes into detail on this here:

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/becoming_a_supple_leopard_by_kelly_starrett_book_review/
  • Physiobody
    Options
    Kelly has some great stuff I definitely agree with and use some of the concepts but not all of them. I'll have to check out that link on the book review.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Physiobody wrote: »
    Hello all,

As a physical therapist I feel like it it my duty to provide education on the importance of achieving and maintaining adequate flexibility and mobility. Not only does it help to decrease pain and increase performance, it also decreases pain and stiffness. There are numerous tactics to use to increase your mobility and flexibility and I'd really like to get a discussion going on what works for different people and share my advice on the topic.

I did a blog post on the topic to provide you with a place to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Physiobody/view/need-to-limber-up-try-this-routine-747714

Thank you. I have been going to a stretched and balanced class weekly for the last 18 months. I do not know how I ever lived without it...it makes such a difference in my overall health and well being...I know there will come a time when I am going to this type of class several times a week. I wish I had the time now...i would go more.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

He has some good information but as I understand it he's also got quite a bit of crap with regards to outdated ideas around causes of pain. Anoop goes into detail on this here:

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/becoming_a_supple_leopard_by_kelly_starrett_book_review/

Anoop may have his MS in this field, which I respect as I have mine too, but I'm pretty certain Mr. Starrett has his PhD in the subject-matter and definitely has some expertise on this subject. One thing that I learned is that there are few absolutes in the field of exercise science and you can always find competing studies. Mr. Starrett's book is simply his interpretation of available studies he is aware of just as Anoop's analysis is his interpretation of the available studies he is aware of. The field of research in exercise science is very complex unfortunately. There are days where I feel as if I learned nothing or everything is a "well maybe...". What I do know is that if an individual has poor mobility, posture is a different subject, it leads to a situation called Altered Reciprocal Inhibition which over time will absolutely lead to injury. Whatever author you prefer to follow, just practice some kind of mobility to enhance your overall health and exercise performance.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Anoop may have his MS in this field, which I respect as I have mine too, but I'm pretty certain Mr. Starrett has his PhD in the subject-matter and definitely has some expertise on this subject. One thing that I learned is that there are few absolutes in the field of exercise science and you can always find competing studies. Mr. Starrett's book is simply his interpretation of available studies he is aware of just as Anoop's analysis is his interpretation of the available studies he is aware of. The field of research in exercise science is very complex unfortunately. There are days where I feel as if I learned nothing or everything is a "well maybe...". What I do know is that if an individual has poor mobility, posture is a different subject, it leads to a situation called Altered Reciprocal Inhibition which over time will absolutely lead to injury. Whatever author you prefer to follow, just practice some kind of mobility to enhance your overall health and exercise performance.

Him having a PHD doesn't make him correct.

Now granted I'm sure you're aware of this.

I'm pretty sure Fass and others in the field have expressed similar concerns regarding an outdated model of pain that people aren't letting go of.
  • Physiobody
    Options
    I definitely respect Kelly's experience in working with many high level athletes and taking a pragmatic approach to treatment. Obviously, different treatments will work for different people. Personall, I have tried many of the techniques and they many sense from a biomechanical point of view and have provided good results to many of the patients that I have used them with. Also, Kelly has his DPT or Doctorate of Physical Therapy and not a PhD.

Much of the debate over his techniques are whether they are backed by research. I don't believe he has run any clinical trials to this point but you have to understand that research is extremely expensive and sometimes a pragmatic, trial-and-error approach can deliver great results.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Him having a PHD doesn't make him correct.

There's a lot of truth to that, but it definitely requires a certain degree of knowledge and ability to read & translate research as well as conduct your own. Nothing is perfect when it comes to exercise science research.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    well I did not know how important it was to learn to stretch properly or to do balance exercises. However i am learning and i know it is a big part of overall fitness.
  • Physiobody
    Options
    @debtay123 It really wasn't something that I cared a whole lot about until seeing the problems that poor flexibility leads to over time. Many patients I have seen with low back, hip, and knee pain often have significant limitations in flexibility. The best part is that, with a little education and consistency, it's easy to see great improvement!