Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss

Options
Is anyone else on a journey to lose weight while also dealing with hypothyroidism? I was diagnosed with this condition about 5 years ago and still have not gotten it under control. My doctor is rather worried about it. Where as the average patient takes (at least according to my doctor) 50-70 mcg of Levothyroxine daily, I take 250mcg daily, so that gives you a bit of an idea of how bad mine is.

I am working with my doctor through my weight loss. I am hoping to maybe find others who have successfully lost weight while managing this condition or some who are on the same journey as me.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you scroll through the "Groups" option above, you will find several groups for this issue.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor checked your T3? If you're not getting things under control with just T4, you may be one of the people who needs to supplement with cytomel (T3) instead of levothyroxine (T4) due to inability to make the T4-t3 conversion. Doctors don't like prescribing T3, because it's comparatively more volatile and patients have to take it several times a day to maintain levels - and obtaining patient compliance is difficult. However, if you can't make the conversion you might actually NEED to handle the dosing manually.

That said, I've had hashimotos for about 12 years, and my levels need to be tweaked one way or the other a couple times a year as my thyroid itself is more or less functional. I also have PA, which means that my B12 levels have to be taken into account when we sort my TSH, because T4 uses B12 to process into T3 somehow, and if my B12 levels drop, it can create an artificially high TSH. :P We spent about 2 years sorting that out.

My weight has been all over the place, but I find that I can generally lose weight once I get a handle on what's happening and start treatment. Lots of easy cardio every day (walking) keeps my weight loss going, and lifting keeps me in tune with what my overall health is, and helps keep my metabolism peppy due to increased muscle mass for calorie burn.

Some of my friends say that reducing carb load has helped them lose weight with a thyroid condition. I do not find this to be true, but since most autoimmune issues travel in groups, you frequently see people with prediabetes or celiacs also suffering from thyroid problems.

You're in a thinking woman's game here, so pay attention to your body and what IS and IS NOT working well for you. Play a long game, keep good records, notice your personal trends, and maintain a good relationship with your doctor. <3
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor checked your T3? If you're not getting things under control with just T4, you may be one of the people who needs to supplement with cytomel (T3) instead of levothyroxine (T4) due to inability to make the T4-t3 conversion. Doctors don't like prescribing T3, because it's comparatively more volatile and patients have to take it several times a day to maintain levels - and obtaining patient compliance is difficult. However, if you can't make the conversion you might actually NEED to handle the dosing manually.

That said, I've had hashimotos for about 12 years, and my levels need to be tweaked one way or the other a couple times a year as my thyroid itself is more or less functional. I also have PA, which means that my B12 levels have to be taken into account when we sort my TSH, because T4 uses B12 to process into T3 somehow, and if my B12 levels drop, it can create an artificially high TSH. :P We spent about 2 years sorting that out.

My weight has been all over the place, but I find that I can generally lose weight once I get a handle on what's happening and start treatment. Lots of easy cardio every day (walking) keeps my weight loss going, and lifting keeps me in tune with what my overall health is, and helps keep my metabolism peppy due to increased muscle mass for calorie burn.

Some of my friends say that reducing carb load has helped them lose weight with a thyroid condition. I do not find this to be true, but since most autoimmune issues travel in groups, you frequently see people with prediabetes or celiacs also suffering from thyroid problems.

You're in a thinking woman's game here, so pay attention to your body and what IS and IS NOT working well for you. Play a long game, keep good records, notice your personal trends, and maintain a good relationship with your doctor. <3

This is, hands down the nicest post I have seen in these boards in forever.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else on a journey to lose weight while also dealing with hypothyroidism?

I am working with my doctor through my weight loss. I am hoping to maybe find others who have successfully lost weight while managing this condition or some who are on the same journey as me.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I've successfully maintained for almost a year. Anybody with thyroid problems can add me.

PS. MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was on 275 and not losing a thing. Exercising, way under calorie budget and my weight sky rocketed very very quickly. After 15 years of being passed around and not listened to, one doc did. He did a T3 test and it showed I didn't convert the T4 to the active hormone t3 in my body. It took a year of trying different doses and I am now on a combination of 100mcg T4 and 60 mcg T3 (20mch x 3 a day) I have my life back and more importantly the weight is starting to come off with staying at a deficit and exercise. Not fast, but slow and steady. I'll take it.

As others as have above, you need full bloods.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Is anyone else on a journey to lose weight while also dealing with hypothyroidism?

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I've successfully maintained for almost a year. Anybody with thyroid problems can add me.

PS. MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Agree with all this. Except I'm not in maintenance yet. I lose at a slower rate, but I lose just fine.

It's also key to find a good doctor who will work with you to manage your thyroid properly. I see my endocrinologist frequently (3-4 times a year), because my Hashi's tends to be pretty unstable.

• Ready2BFitMom
    Ready2BFitMom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My doctor just changed my dosage and is going to check my levels in 6 weeks. If they aren't corrected by then she said we will begin to explore other options. I will mention the T3 and T4 stuff.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to the warnings on the T4 when you take it. Keep antacids as far apart from your dose as possible, avoid food for at least two hours, calcium for at least 4. The T3 is different than the T4. The T4 needs to accumulate in the body to make a difference, the T3 is fast-acting and is in/out. My endocrinologist said it's important to take the T3 in the am.

I (almost) always wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, like clock-work at 4am, and take mine then (T3 and T4). I get up about an hour and a half later. I eat breakfast at my desk when I'm in the office at 8am.

What levels is your doctor using as the "normal" range?

And just because you're officially "normal" doesn't mean you feel as good as you need to. It's not about hitting a certain level of TSH, it's about getting back your quality of life.
  • hattie419
    hattie419 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too and it massively affects my life! It's run through my family as well, but I went to the doctor and he didn't believe me and thought I was 'overreacting', but I'm 100% sure I have it. Was it easy to get diagnosed and medication? Does the medication help? I'm also struggling with weight loss and can't seem to budge these last 10pounds I want to lose so maybe that's related too!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    hattie419 wrote: »
    I have hypothyroidism too and it massively affects my life! It's run through my family as well, but I went to the doctor and he didn't believe me and thought I was 'overreacting', but I'm 100% sure I have it. Was it easy to get diagnosed and medication? Does the medication help? I'm also struggling with weight loss and can't seem to budge these last 10pounds I want to lose so maybe that's related too!

Wait. It runs in your family, you have symptoms, and he wouldn't do blood work? Did he palpate your neck at least?

Get a new doctor.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hattie419 wrote: »
    Was it easy to get diagnosed and medication? Does the medication help? I'm also struggling with weight loss and can't seem to budge these last 10pounds I want to lose so maybe that's related too!

I was misdiagnosed with depression for years until I was finally referred to an endocrinologist, who confirmed my Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) with an ultrasound of my neck plus blood tests: T4 and T3 (thyroid hormones) and TSH (a pituitary hormone).

Synthroid & Cytomel treat my symptoms (fatigue, brain fog, muscle & joint pain, chills, depression, anxiety, palpitations & sweating), but had no affect on my weight. I kept gaining & gaining until I learned to log. Logging works.