Insulin Resistant

Options
Hi there, my name is Michelle and I'm a mother of 3. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed as having insulin resistance with a BSL of 35. I've been put on Metformin and have had no side affects so all seems well there. I'm just a little confused as what I should be eating and what I should stay away from. Anybody who has this and could shed some light would be a great help. Thanking you all in advance. Michelle

Replies

• meetLeslie
    meetLeslie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've had to try to figure this out too. It's a matter of figuring out what carbs you're eating and what exercising you're doing so your testing numbers stay good. I have figured this out with going to diabetes education, reading and experience with how my body reacts to various situations.
  • yorkielass71
    yorkielass71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for that, yes ive done a lot of reading too, so much that my head hurts, lol. the dr just said this is what i have heres metformin and thats it. wish someone would just give me a simple meal plan and explain what foods to stay away from, its very confusing isnt it.
  • Carissa143
    Carissa143 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! So I was just diagnosed with PCOS, basically I have an insulin resistance. My doctor prescribed me metformin and am on the second week, taking it twice a day (500mg x2) eventually getting up to 1500mg. In addition, my doctor wants me to go on the south beach diet which is a low carb diet which you eat certain foods in different phases. Basically you start out eating lean meats, vegetables, and low fat dairy. Anyways now that I'm taking 1000 mg of metformin I find myself feeling nauseous and not wanting to eat anything. I just made a salad and took a few bites before I felt like I was gonna throw up. I take it in the morning with breakfast and in the evening with dinner. I just don't know how to eat without feeling sick from the metformin. This is only the second week I've been on the metformin. I just don't know how I am going to be able to take it three times a week starting next week if I feel so sick taking 1000 mgs this week. The foods to avoid to help you guys include anything white- bread, rice, potatoes, etc. and things high in sugars because those break down into carbs. Research low carb diets if that helps. Those of you taking metformin- what kinds of foods do you eat while on this medication to avoide the nausea? Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks!
    Carissa
  • eliasfuhrmler
    eliasfuhrmler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant as well. I don't see contemporary doctors who use western medicine as my wife is a certified herbalist and clinician as well as a nutritionist. I have found much success in sticking to a diet that lingers between the paleo and the ketogenic diet and I do three days of HIIT per week, three days of weight lifting. I try not to count calories, carbs, protein, etc., but I find that this app helps...a lot. With this app, I don't have to pay TOO much attention. I keep a very regular diet and I sure as hell notice when I have eaten something I knew I shouldn't have. I can't eat any carbs before bed or my heart is pounding and I get a lot of anxiety and I can't sleep. Its not so bad during the day, but it still happens. I just, straight up, stay away from carbs and sugar. All of our bodies are different, and what works for me might not work for you. I would suggest taking a chromium supplement. Chromium has been shown, in specific studies, to assist in processing insulin and therefore, weight loss in individuals with insulin resistance. I take 600 mcg daily. 400 in the morning after breakfast and 200 in the afternoon after lunch. I am not a fan of pharmaceuticals and will suggest to all of you taking Metformin to see an herbalist or naturopath and replace it with chromium, diet and exercise. Thats all I've got, ladies. Good luck!!!
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Generally if it comes in a box, don't eat it. Lots of diabetic meal plans online.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Walking. Track fiber and eat at least 35g/day. Pull sugar and fruit and grains from the diet for a little while. Eat high fiber/fat/protein, get your carbs from slow sources such as beans/lentils/veggies. You don't have to be this "strict" for a long time, in only a couple of weeks you'll probably see your blood sugar readings get back into range! But stick with it for that period of time, no "cheat" days. I actually love eating this way, and tend toward it on most days.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I too am on metformin. One tablet each meal. Sometimes I get diaherra but it seems to be resolving.

I have type 2 diabetes.
    (as of 1 month ago)
    I test my blood at home.

Now different countries use different measurements for their blood tests. I'm from Canada
    Where are you?

I watch total amount of sugars and eat lower carb.
    I'm also walking 30 minutes most days.

Weight loss is happening!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi there, my name is Michelle and I'm a mother of 3. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed as having insulin resistance with a BSL of 35. I've been put on Metformin and have had no side affects so all seems well there. I'm just a little confused as what I should be eating and what I should stay away from. Anybody who has this and could shed some light would be a great help. Thanking you all in advance. Michelle

Welcome aboard the roller coaster ride! It really is a very individual situation.

The literature you read will give you general information about what works for the average population ... and even those instructions fall into a pretty wide range. The information you will get from other people will be based on what worked for them, and that means it may or may not work for you as well.

You need to know that you can eat everything everyone else can, but that certain specific foods will have a stronger adverse affect on your blood sugar profile, and you will need to learn which and how much of those are ok for you to have. How do you know what foods affect you adversely? Well, you cannot know that, really, without doing blood glucose tests with a finger prick and testing kit, which is inexpensive to get innitially but the test strips are expensive and are best gotten with a script from your doctor (who may or may not want you to test yourself at this point).

The general information will also tell you to increase your activity level ... generally with such activities as walking for 10 or 20 minutes after meals and doing some form of formal activity several times a week for about 30 minutes ... whatever form of activity you like. This is because research has shown that moderate exercise helps the body be better at using insulin and thus using the glucose derived from your food.

The general guidelines will tell you that per meal, your carb load should be no more than 45-60 grams ... and this translates into three to four 15-gram servings of carb ... be careful with the carbs as many standard servings of a food have that nearly that much carb in just one portion. Thus, you need to learn the values for the different food and their portions ... and here is where MFP is your friend. If you don't already know how to read food labels, learn it.

The other point is fat ... all the literature is still insisting on low fat ... even though recent research has come out in favor of increasing fat content ... just not the fat you get from hydrogenated vegetable oils but from foods such as what is naturally found in the meat you eat and other foods such as nuts, seeds, and olives. So ... be careful of how much deep fried food you eat and choose more often to have food that is saute'd or boiled, roasted, baked.

I'm specifically not telling you anything about what I have found works for me because I want to stick with the general sound principals of eating with insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. However I will share that I have, over time, lowered my A1c through following through on the information I have shared with you.
    Good luck. Get smart.

PS ... add to the carb PER meal load ... a snack would allow 15 -30 grams of carb. All your meals and snacks should have a combination of the 3 macronutrients in them ... carb, fat, protein. (Don't eat a big apple, eat a small apple with some nut butter or some cheese is an example. Or, don't eat a bowl of baby carrots, eat a cup of baby carrots weith some hummus instead).