how many days per week do you workout? do you take 100% rest days?

Options
meghanduprey
meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I try to workout 6 days per week (spinning about 3-4 days, trying for 4 and walking for an hour at 3.5-4mph for a little more than an hour at least 3-4 days/week) but i have been feeling like dropping down to 5 lately. am i being lazy? i still get in a short 20 minute 3.5mph walk but that's about it - and today i'm being a complete sloth and not doing anything because i have zero motivation. anyone else take 100% days off at all?

Replies

• lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    6....... Sometimes I will go on a streak of 9 or 10 days, then my body says it needs a rest....
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I am normally busting at the door to get moving. So if I have a day with 0% motivation to do more than walk the dog, I generally take it as a sign my body needs a break.

I alternate hard days and easy days and try to make one day CRAZY easy. A nice walk, some swimming, short flat bike ride, etc.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    5 - I don't work out on the weekends.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I usually have at least 1 day a week where I might take a walk or do some yoga.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I try to do something every day. I lift and do boot camp (not on the same days), and Saturday is usually my only day off from those. Sometimes I will take a total rest day on Saturday, or else I will do light cardio. There are lots of days where things come up and I can't fit in my work out, so by doing something every day I possibly can, I am able to take those days off without too much guilt.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    5 days a week of weightlifting and add in circuit training on Tuesdays and Thursdays for fun. I do very little on the weekend but I don't count hiking or walking the dog as exercise.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    6 days most weeks. But my "official" workouts (running/lifting weights) are only about 25 minutes M-F (that's the chunk of time I have in the morning between the kids leaving for school and when I have to get ready for work). Additionally, I add in a lot of walking every day and sometimes yoga in the evening.

On the weekend I usually pick one day for an hour long workout since I don't have as much time during the week. This week it will happen on Sunday. Technically Saturday will be my rest day, but I will still aim for a lot of unofficial activity (lots of extra steps/movement)...that's because I want to be able to eat more every day!
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    i usually try to do something every day, even if it's just one of those short walks but seriously today i'm not feeling like doing ANYTHING!
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    (including getting dressed!)
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like to do 6. I have days where I'm exhausted and don't make it. So it ends up being five.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like to workout 5 days and have the weekend off...
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Rest day? Never heard of that muscle

I go 7 days a week, 3 days of 60 minute cardio, 2 days of lifting only, 1 day of lift and cardio and 1 day of just 30 minutes. I really think I'd benefit from a weekly day off but I honestly would be bored without a trip to the gym. I have to be really tired or busy of skip the gym. Last day off was Easter
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I workout either 5 or 6 days a week. Some weeks it goes down to 4. Most of the time I get a rest day because I overslept in the morning and by the time I get home from work, I am too tired. Basically that work thing gets in the way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take 1-2 rest days per week depending on how I'm feeling and what's going on in life in general. That said, I have a 3 y.o. and 5 y.o. and a wife and a dog...there is no such thing as just sitting around doing nothing. Even on my rest day the dog needs to go for a walk or the kids want to go to the zoo or the lawn needs mowed, etc.

A rest day for me is simply a rest from vigorous activity...I'm not going to lift and while I might go out with my boys for a recreational bike ride, I'm not going to be pressing like I usually do...I'll be chillin'
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I rest 1-2 days a week. Definitely not 100% rest though. Too much stuff to get done for pure vegging out.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week and have 2 days a week that are "not working out" days. A lot of times on those days, I'll end up burning more calories than I did on a workout day. Getting *kitten* done around the house burns a ton of calories.

I probably only take a straight lazy day once a month or so.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1-2 depending. Rest days are essential in my opinion.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm workout shy...hence the name! I have a plan to start doing 3 hour aerobic step workouts 3 times a week which would theatrically burn a pound of fat per month. Starting Monday :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Bizurke51 wrote: »

I go 7 days a week, 3 days of 60 minute cardio, 2 days of lifting only, 1 day of lift and cardio and 1 day of just 30 minutes. I really think I'd benefit from a weekly day off but I honestly would be bored without a trip to the gym. I have to be really tired or busy of skip the gym. Last day off was Easter

we call that active rest days...

I have those on Wednesdays...I don't lift, I don't run, no biking hard etc...just a little walk maybe 2 miles...but that's on top of my already 8-10k steps from living...

I workout 6-7 days a week.

4 lifting, 3 running and on the days I don't run I walk.

Plus my life in general is active with keeping my house clean, gardening, lawn care, flower beds, dog, canoeing, camping, hiking etc...

I've had days where I have had to just sit tho...mother's day that's what I did...sat on my butt all day 6720 steps...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Bizurke51 wrote: »

we call that active rest days...
    agree with this. While it technically wasn't a rest day, I can't see 30 minutes of cardio as an active day either. you are kinda in that gray zone in my opinion.

On that note, I really only consider "rest" days needed for lifting days. Cardio can be done 7 days a week in my opinion.