Victoza

Options
Anyone taking this shot? I heard that women with PCOS have been losing great deal of weight while using this self injected prescription only shot? I know that it was originally marketed for people per-diabetic or have stage 2. It was recently released for people who are obese. Also read that many women take it to help prevent diabetes since they have PCOS. Thoughts?

Replies

• LadyThanata
    LadyThanata Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just no.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Never heard of using it for weight loss. My bff has diabetes and it's really helped normalize blood sugar levels. So yay for that! Not sure about using it for anything else... Sounds fishy.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    my mom is diabetic and uses it to regulate her blood sugar...if you are not ddiabetic you should not be messing around with it....just saying
  • LadyThanata
    LadyThanata Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that it has been marketing recently for obesity. She said that during trial all the people taking it list serious weight which is why it's being marketing as the new weight lost drug.

I have pcos and it's difficult to lose weight and maintain it. I'm also a runner- I run 3 to 4 miles at least three or four times a week. I also take spin in between.
    The only way to lose a lb is to be under 1000 calories and believe me I did it and worked out hard and lost 30 lbs. once I went up in calories my weight went with it. I can gain 6 lbs in a weekend.

I asked my doctor for help- anything really. I want to eat normal and work out and actually see healthy weight lost.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't. The side-effects wouldn't be worth it to me. Plus, the drug information flat out says "it is only part of a treatment [for diabetes] plan that also includes diet, exercise. . . " No need for the medicine if you're going to have to eat right and move more anyways IMO.

Possible side-effects:
    •swelling or a lump in your throat area;
    •hoarse voice, trouble swallowing, feeling short of breath;
    •urinating less than usual or not at all;
    •weakness, confusion, increased thirst, loss of appetite, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    •swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath;
    •pancreatitis - severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, fast heart rate; or
    •signs of infection such as fever, chills, sore throat, flu symptoms, easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleeds, bleeding gums), mouth sores, unusual weakness.
    •headache, dizziness;
    •upset stomach, loss of appetite;
    •nausea, vomiting;
    •diarrhea, constipation;
    •cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sinus pain, sore throat;
    •back pain;
    •tired feeling;
    •mild skin rash; or
    •redness or rash where the medicine was injected.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur

Also, it won't be some magic weight loss drug. It wasn't originally developed to treat weight problems. I wouldn't risk it.
    Liraglutide, the generic name for Victoza, is only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include diet, exercise, weight control, foot care, eye care, dental care, and testing your blood sugar.

Source: http://www.rxlist.com/victoza-drug.htm
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So this medication is prescribed for the regulation of blood sugar. It basically stimulates insulin secretion. Not really something you want to mess with.

So listed under possible adverse reactions:

Thyroid cancer
    Pancreatitis

This medication can cause a dangerous drop in blood glucose which can lead to coma and death.

Seriously- not worth it.