Advice On Protein Shakes

Options
TheNewMeUK
TheNewMeUK Posts: 24 Member
Hi all,

A little about me, I have lost a lot of weight but still have a fair bit to go, around another 60lbs, I'm 224 lbs at the moment and 5.7 inches. This is my 3rd year of a change of lifestyle and most of my weight has been lost by having a daily 1500 calorie intake but the past few months I have started to jog daily for 2 miles and do a kettle bell workout every other day. I have just bought the book - TNROLFW and would like to start lifting weights because I don't want to lose any more muscle but at the same time I want to carry on losing weight, so I have a few questions:

1 - Should I go for a protein shake geared towards weight loss for women?
2 - should I have a pre-workout and post-workout shake?
3 - Which brands do you suggest I check out and what should I be looking out for nutrition wise?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You do not need protein shakes for lifting weights. I would only recommend these shakes if you are lacking in protein or meeting the protein daily (especially on lifting day). I personally do not like to drink these every day. Some brands and types bloat me and or taste to gritty.

Shakes can be very caloric and if you choose a powered you will either mix it with water (which gets old fast) or something like milk or even yogurt or fruit or something for "substance".. I may even make a smoothie..

I limit my protein shakes to post workout and I only allow so many calories that fit in my daily MFP allotment..

I personally do not do shakes geared toward women.. I have a favorite, but yesterday, I bought something different in powder form and flavor.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's just horrible marketing! Protein is protein is protein and doesn't recognise gender,
    Protein timing is one of the least important factors, far more important to worry about your overall diet and your training.
    3 - Which brands do you suggest I check out and what should I be looking out for nutrition wise?
    Read the labels and try to avoid magical "woo" ingredients. Protein shakes are just a protein rich liquid food. Nothing magical - if you can hit a sensible protein goal without supplementing then you don't need them. They are just a low cost and convenient way of supplementing.
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1 - no, just get a basic whey protein and mix it as you like to fit your calorie goals (my current one is 200cals for 2 scoops, I can mix with whole milk or add oats if I want more calories).
    2 - no, don't worry about pre and post workouts - you're not a pro athlete, so ideal nutrient timings are not important. If you want to take anything pre-workout, get some complex carbs for energy.
    3 - myprotein in the UK is what I use; their impact weigh is great and frequently on offer. Main flavours like banana, chocolate smooth and vanilla are great.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake (Jay Robb) Whey (110) calories a scoop and I only do it on the days that my workouts are long. I agree with Gia07 some of the protein is bloat producing, Jay Robb has been the only one for ME that has not caused me stomach issues.

My Current workout smoothie: 1 Scoop Jay Robb (chocolate) Whey , 1/4 cup unsweetend frozen Raspberries, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 small banana and lots of ice and blend blend blend....
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this for myself over the past week and have learned that if one is concerned with protein for the sake of preserving LBM, then the timing is important. Only 30g of protein per meal can be utilized for this purpose, then you should leave at least a three hour gap until the next 'dose'.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I use the Premier protein shakes that you can find at Costco. They are 160 calories and give you 30 grams of protein. I consume only one per day as I felt needed to supplement my diet to ensure I was meeting my protein and other nutrient goals. They taste pretty good. It's a quick way to up your daily protein intake without a lot of calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this for myself over the past week and have learned that if one is concerned with protein for the sake of preserving LBM, then the timing is important. Only 30g of protein per meal can be utilized for this purpose, then you should leave at least a three hour gap until the next 'dose'.

Nope - not according to Alan Aragon.....

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Thanks for that. This is the article I was referencing. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/protein-limit
    I'm not sure if the one you linked is more up-to-date or not, as there's no date on it.
    It seems that with nutrition-related questions it's very difficult to get a consensus answer about anything!
  • TheNewMeUK
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    You do not need protein shakes for lifting weights. I would only recommend these shakes if you are lacking in protein or meeting the protein daily (especially on lifting day). I personally do not like to drink these every day. Some brands and types bloat me and or taste to gritty.

Shakes can be very caloric and if you choose a powered you will either mix it with water (which gets old fast) or something like milk or even yogurt or fruit or something for "substance".. I may even make a smoothie..

I limit my protein shakes to post workout and I only allow so many calories that fit in my daily MFP allotment..

I personally do not do shakes geared toward women.. I have a favorite, but yesterday, I bought something different in powder form and flavor.

Thanks for the insight! I'm totally with you on the bloating front and have decided to have a protein shake on the days I work out only. Though I'm not sure I will count the calories as part of my daily allowence, I'm sure having a couple oh hundred of extra calories on the days you lift weights is going to be needed right?

• TheNewMeUK
    Options
    That's just horrible marketing! Protein is protein is protein and doesn't recognise gender,
    Protein timing is one of the least important factors, far more important to worry about your overall diet and your training.
    Read the labels and try to avoid magical "woo" ingredients. Protein shakes are just a protein rich liquid food. Nothing magical - if you can hit a sensible protein goal without supplementing then you don't need them. They are just a low cost and convenient way of supplementing.
    Thanks for posting :)
    I honestly thought having a protein shake before and after lifting was needed, the problem I have at the moment is that I don't eat before I jog every morning or even before I do a kettlebell workout but im actually starting to feel fatigued lately, and I'm bit sure if I'm just not eating enough or eating at the wrong time etc...
  • TheNewMeUK
    Options
    neogramps wrote: »
    1 - no, just get a basic whey protein and mix it as you like to fit your calorie goals (my current one is 200cals for 2 scoops, I can mix with whole milk or add oats if I want more calories).
    2 - no, don't worry about pre and post workouts - you're not a pro athlete, so ideal nutrient timings are not important. If you want to take anything pre-workout, get some complex carbs for energy.
    3 - myprotein in the UK is what I use; their impact weigh is great and frequently on offer. Main flavours like banana, chocolate smooth and vanilla are great.

Thanks for replying! I'm from the UK too so I'll check them out! Perhaps that's why I'm feeling the lack of energy I need to look into complex carbs perhaps?
  • TheNewMeUK
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    I do a protein shake (Jay Robb) Whey (110) calories a scoop and I only do it on the days that my workouts are long. I agree with Gia07 some of the protein is bloat producing, Jay Robb has been the only one for ME that has not caused me stomach issues.

My Current workout smoothie: 1 Scoop Jay Robb (chocolate) Whey , 1/4 cup unsweetend frozen Raspberries, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 small banana and lots of ice and blend blend blend....

I'll check out your suggestion and the smoothie sounds lovely!

• TheNewMeUK
    Options

Thanks for that. This is the article I was referencing. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/protein-limit
    I'm not sure if the one you linked is more up-to-date or not, as there's no date on it.
    It seems that with nutrition-related questions it's very difficult to get a consensus answer about anything!
    Thanks to the both of you!! :) I'll read through the articles, why do they make everything so damn difficult! Lol
  • TheNewMeUK
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I use the Premier protein shakes that you can find at Costco. They are 160 calories and give you 30 grams of protein. I consume only one per day as I felt needed to supplement my diet to ensure I was meeting my protein and other nutrient goals. They taste pretty good. It's a quick way to up your daily protein intake without a lot of calories.
    Thanks for the suggestion I'll have a google and look into them :)
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that I lift and do a protein shake on the day my protein counts are low. I simply do a scoop of Whey Protein (there is one sold through Optimum Nutrition on bodybuilding.com, Cappuccino Flavored, that has hardly any carbs or sugar) that I mix with a cup of unsweetened almond milk and just shake the heck out of it in a shaker cup... If I have the sugars/ carbs I add a banana too and throw it in the blended.
    Low cal and delicious. I hate premade shakes and ones geared for weight loss. I think the taste is horrible and they are usually overpriced.
  • TheNewMeUK
    Options
    SamZ10 wrote: »
    I would like to say that I lift and do a protein shake on the day my protein counts are low. I simply do a scoop of Whey Protein (there is one sold through Optimum Nutrition on bodybuilding.com, Cappuccino Flavored, that has hardly any carbs or sugar) that I mix with a cup of unsweetened almond milk and just shake the heck out of it in a shaker cup... If I have the sugars/ carbs I add a banana too and throw it in the blended.
    Low cal and delicious. I hate premade shakes and ones geared for weight loss. I think the taste is horrible and they are usually overpriced.
    It's funny you mention optimun nutrition because right this minute I came across them, the shakes seen a popular choice :)
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TheNewMeUK wrote: »
    It's funny you mention optimun nutrition because right this minute I came across them, the shakes seen a popular choice :)

Too funny! I use them because my husband LOVES the strawberry flavored one and I started using his when we got together ;) I think the strawberry flavored one with almond milk tastes funky but great with 2% lol. I love that theres not loads of sugar or artificial flavorings in it.
  • TheNewMeUK
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Thanks! You seen to know your protein shakes, I'll have a good read :)
  • TheNewMeUK
    Options
    TheNewMeUK wrote: »

Too funny! I use them because my husband LOVES the strawberry flavored one and I started using his when we got together ;) I think the strawberry flavored one with almond milk tastes funky but great with 2% lol. I love that theres not loads of sugar or artificial flavorings in it.
    Yeah low sugar is definitely a must! They have a lot if flavour choice it seems, I hope their as readly available here in the UK.