Protein and weight Loss

Options
I am trying to loose weight, but I am thinking that I should still drink protein. Is there a kind of "lean" protein/whey powder you'd recommend?
And before anyone freaks out, I already know that protein doesn't make you lose weight.Just looking for recommendations.

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I like Plant Fusion. Vegetarian, 21g of protein at onlyh 120 calories. Delish!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I like IsoPure toasted coconut, its low in carbohydrates and high in protein
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Iso100 from Dymatize has 0g fat & only 1g carb... 25g protein! birthday cake is soooooo good
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I am trying to loose weight, but I am thinking that I should still drink protein. Is there a kind of "lean" protein/whey powder you'd recommend?
    And before anyone freaks out, I already know that protein doesn't make you lose weight.Just looking for recommendations.
    Any particular reason? Time to drink but not to eat?
  • ivylaurenolsen
    ivylaurenolsen Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I am a full time student and I work, I know that's no excuse, but I make chicken on most days, but some days I probably just don't get enough protein
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Protein while on a fat loss diet is very important, but it's key to understand why and how much you should take. As you already know it won't help you lose weight any faster, but it is good for helping you retain muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit. When you lose weight you'll lose fat and muscle, that's unavoidable.

Consuming adequate amounts of protein (anywhere from .6 to .8 grams of protein / lb of body weight) and a good heavy lifting program will help reduce the amount of muscle loss. Muscle is an expensive commodity, use it or lose it especially when eating at a deficit. I weigh 255 for example so I shoot for approx (255*.6) 153 grams of protein each day.

As to your actual question, I try to get most of my protein from my food intake but when lacking I find Six Star Whey protein to cheap and easy. I also have a few Performance WHEY protein shakes I keep in my desk at work which do the trick.

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Protein on a cut is even more important than on a bulk, real talk :smiley:

Personally the best price to calories to protein ratio I ever found in a powder when I am cutting is matrix anabolic powders. However Paying a TINY bit more and with TINY bit less protein to cals ratio, I usually always get bodybuilding warehouse ones as they test better in my opinion.

They did this one at christmas that was a 'brandy snap' flavour (not sure if they still doing it) but by god was it the best tasting powder I have ever had! My girlfriend despises pretty much all protein powders shes ever tried (and she always tries a bit of mine so shes had like 50) and it was the only one she liked.

Hope they still got some, I'm running out :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

I am a full time student and I work, I know that's no excuse, but I make chicken on most days, but some days I probably just don't get enough protein
    Yeah, as long as it keeps you full enough that you don't otherwise overeat due to hunger, that's about as good a reason as there is, imo. I usually use it because I need the protein, but not the fat (even with chicken, at some point) or carbs that come along with other sources.

Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate and Cake Batter are very, very good in, say, Greek yogurt. It's not drinking, but it's not cooking, either.