HIT TRAINING

Options
what do you guys think of HIT TRAINING for weight loss?

Replies

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think HIIT is great, even if it feels a part of your soul has died when you're doing it. With that said, it's still just a method for burning calories. You can burn 250 calories kicking your own self in the *kitten* in, what, twenty minutes of HIIT, or you can burn that same amount going for a brisk 40 minute walk. Below is an interesting article on it:

How Good is HIIT for Fat Loss Really?
  • Harlequin1983
    Harlequin1983 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Crossfit or circuit training are good as well!!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the second I there. It's not just "High Intensity Training", the "Interval" part there is key, hence HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training.

It's great, though. But, remember, most trainers recommend limiting the HIIT to a few weeks, as it can wreck havoc on your immune system. Alternate 8 weeks steady state, 4 weeks HIIT. And then, of course, weights.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    HIT and HIIT are to different things.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

To and two are also two different things :p
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Ahhh, indeed. I wonder if the OP meant HIT or HIIT. I'm so used to people talking about HIIT I assumed it was a typo.

• kye19
    kye19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lmao guys it was a typo I meant HIIT
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT, and circuit training, works very well so far!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    HIT and HIIT are very specific training regiments; please do not confused them with high intensity training. When done correctly, both will take the practitioner to their physical (genetic) limit. Untrained athletes normally cannot stomach it because of the psychological demands. There are a lot of noise with regards to "improved fat burning" but the research has been mixed. (Also since the studies been conducted with elite or well trained athletes the results isn't necessary applicable to the general public.) In general, the higher intensity the more energy is required thus creating a bigger sink for the same duration (and the fitter you get the higher the intensity is needed to generate the same impact, see http://sportsscientists.com/2010/01/exercise-and-weight-loss/). Here are the wiki definition for HIT and HIIT.

"High Intensity Training (HIT) is a form of strength training popularized in the 1970s by Arthur Jones, the founder of Nautilus. The training focuses on performing quality weight training repetitions to the point of momentary muscular failure. The training takes into account the number of repetitions, the amount of weight, and the amount of time the muscle is exposed to tension in order to maximize the amount of muscle fiber recruitment." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training.

"High-intensity interval training (HIIT), also called high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) or sprint interval training (SIT), is an enhanced form of interval training, an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods. HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 4–30 minutes. These short, intense workouts provide improved athletic capacity and condition, improved glucose metabolism, and improved fat burning." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training.

HIIT is basically an adaptation of HIT for endurance sports.

Haven't done HIIT since my collegiate racing days (cycling) and still don't like them.